creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Ernesto said:
Being a novice could use some help. Found an old foot long nail about a foot up an old dead oak tree.
The nail points north, where the nail points is open country. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Muyrieta,

Hard to tell what it is .. Could be anything. I found a tree that had 6 metal rods passing through it in the middle of nowhere. Never did find anything else there.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..................Sometimes long nails almost the size of a spike but long are put into trees by deer hunters for a make shift deer stand!...............I find them out in the woods every so often...............also I know that at least the ones that I find can not be older than 40 years or less..............This particular woods have been hunted by me and my brothers 40 years ago and know that some of these marks/markers are a lot more recent!!...........Joe

OP
OP
Ernesto

Ernesto

Greenie
Jul 6, 2008
Granite shoals, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gunslinger II/Dowsing
Maybe, but seems to far down for that. It does resemble a thin spike hard to tell the age of the nail or spike but looking at the tree guessing it has to be at least 2 hundred yrs old no telling how long its been dead
Your replies are appreciated.

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try metal detecting from the nail toward the north. It would be better if you had a 2=box. Cliff

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Another possibility is that environmentalists, especially those who have an intense dislike for logging, sometimes drive nails into trees. Years later when harvested, the nails do a fine job of messing up saw blades when the trees go through the logging/harvesting process. Don't know if that's the case where you are; just a thought.

Seajay

urbanminer

May 21, 2007
Heart of Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,Cutlass, Vaquero
Whites and B Hunter LandStar
Not to bust anyone's bubble but, you must remember that we live in tornado alley. I have seen lots of things driven into trees and walls from the force of a twister. At Possum Kingdom one year we found aliminum pieces the size of your hand, flimsey as a piepan driven into a tree. Not unusual to find nails and such in the oddest places.....Now if it was me.....I would still have to give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread