Help try to lift ban on detecting

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Hey all you Houston area hunters and anyone else who would want to help us.
There is a ban on metal detector useage in some of our parks within city limits. We want to let the Precinct 4 County Commissioner know, that we don't agree with their decision.

Please, let the county commissioner know that we help clean the park areas, remove dangerous and all trash items from the areas,and follow the metal detectors code of ethics.

We don't need to attack their decision, just try and put in good points about detecting.

Please send an email to [email protected]

The more emails he gets, the more he will know we don't like it.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Done,

From an alias email. I used to have to play in his golf tourney for work. :wink: ;D

And I really don't like golf!

PICCman

May 20, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / DetectorPro HH
Done and here is a copy.

"Sir, I have recently learned that you have banned metal detecting in certain areas of your precinct.

This saddens me as our hobby will be impacted negatively. There are a number of good qualities to MDing

as evidenced by our code of ethics, of which I’ll post here.

As ambassadors for this hobby of ours we often perform kind acts that go unnoticed or unrewarded.

I can’t tell you how many dirty safety pins, push pins, dirty drug needles or just plain dangerous items

are removed from harms way by metal detectorists. The amount of “trash” that is removed is staggering;

and I might add, free of charge. These plus many other benefits all for a chance to find a rare coin or

piece of history or even a memento of days gone by.

I know not of the circumstances of your decision, but would respectfully request a reconsideration.

Here, for your acceptance, are our code of ethics:

FMDAC Code of Ethics
(Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs)

I will always check federal, state, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibilty to "Know the law".

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner's permission. Where posible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.

I will as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or removes artifacts from federal parks or state preserves.

Respectfully,

Dwayne Lloyd"

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
What I got from the MAN!

My name is Dennis Johnston and I am the Park Administrator for Harris County Precinct 4. I have been asked to respond to your e-mail concerning park regulations and metal detectors. I appreciate your concerns about metal detecting in our Precinct 4 Parks and I hope my response via this e-mail will help you understand why we take the position prohibiting metal detectors on park lands.

A recent incident at one of our parks involved a person with a metal detector digging up trinkets as witnessed by an employee of the Texas Historical Commission (THC). The THC called my office and brought to our attention the legal questions of allowing this activity at our Harris County Precinct 4 Parks. The Texas Antiquities Code section 191.092 clearly states that public lands including those owned by Texas counties must be protected from potential removal of artifacts by those without proper scientific permits and credentials. We asked the Harris County Attorney’s office to investigate and the following is their response:

After reviewing chapter 191 of the Texas Natural Resources Code and after consulting with the Texas Historical Commission, our office is of the opinion that the county may prohibit the operation or use of metal detectors in county parks. By way of example, the state prohibits the operation or use of metal detectors in state parks. The exception to not operating or using metal detectors in county parks would be if the operator or user had contracted with the Antiquities Committee for discovery and scientific investigation or obtained a permit from the Antiquities Committee for survey and discovery, excavation, restoration, demolition, or study.

By allowing the conduct of metal detecting to continue on park grounds we risk legal litigation and many other potential pitfalls with the THC should an existing registered archaeology site get pillaged or a potential site be uncovered by amateur archaeologists or metal detectors. Currently there are registered sites within our park grounds. They are not made public for obvious reasons. Many other potential sites exist within park owned lands, yet to be discovered, and thus items that are removed today could potentially provide missing facts for future archaeologists. As we cannot discriminate nor continuously monitor any one person’s intent involving metal detection discoveries within our parks, we have discontinued allowing the practice altogether within Harris County Precinct 4 Parklands. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.

If you have any questions or need further information, please don’t hesitate to call my office at 281-353-8100. I have attached contact information below for the Texas Historical Commission and Antiquities Code.

Sincerely,

Dennis Johnston

Park Administrator

Harris County Precinct 4

281-353-8100

[email protected]

Texas Antiquities Code 191.092

Access the Texas Historic Commission website: www.thc.state.tx.us for information regarding the Texas Antiquities Code 191.092. Scroll down the page and click on Rules and Regulations and then scroll back to top of page (the screen does not change) where your choice of Federal, State and Other now appear in red.

Main Phone
512/463-6100

Main Email
[email protected]

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 12276 Austin, TX 78711-2276

Physical Address — Main
1511 Colorado, Austin, TX 78701

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Was it a mass email back out or just to you cooltone? They will hopefully get tired of copy and paste once they keep coming.

I didn't get a response yet.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
littletwig said:
WHAT A CROCK OF....BLEEDING HEART ARCHIES
cooltone23 said:
What I got from the MAN!

My name is ************ and I am the Park Administrator for Harris County Precinct 4. I have been asked to respond to your e-mail concerning park regulations and metal detectors. I appreciate your concerns about metal detecting in our Precinct 4 Parks and I hope my response via this e-mail will help you understand why we take the position prohibiting metal detectors on park lands.

A recent incident at one of our parks involved a person with a metal detector digging up trinkets as witnessed by an employee of the Texas Historical Commission (THC). The THC called my office and brought to our attention the legal questions of allowing this activity at our Harris County Precinct 4 Parks. The Texas Antiquities Code section 191.092 clearly states that public lands including those owned by Texas counties must be protected from potential removal of artifacts by those without proper scientific permits and credentials. We asked the Harris County Attorney’s office to investigate and the following is their response:

After reviewing chapter 191 of the Texas Natural Resources Code and after consulting with the Texas Historical Commission, our office is of the opinion that the county may prohibit the operation or use of metal detectors in county parks. By way of example, the state prohibits the operation or use of metal detectors in state parks. The exception to not operating or using metal detectors in county parks would be if the operator or user had contracted with the Antiquities Committee for discovery and scientific investigation or obtained a permit from the Antiquities Committee for survey and discovery, excavation, restoration, demolition, or study.

Typical form letter answer that they send out. What gets me is without a metal detector that detects metal objects how do the archies know there is anything in the ground?? How many times have metal detector users helped them out, to find items???

Someone digging trinkets???!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!!! I am suprised that they didn't call in the FBI, and the CIA in on that person !!!!!!!!!! :tongue3: :tongue3:

We all have found trinkets in park areas. Cheap rings, earrings, bracelets, hat pins,metal buttons from clothing, and the such can be called trinkets.

A single detectorist in a park can deter some of the criminal behavior in our parks. I myself have been hunting a park and have seen 2 lowrider cars pull into the parking area, look at me, and then leave.

Is the city going to ban all dog walkers, because a few have let their dogs poop and don't pick it up, how about banning all picnicers for some leaving their trash laying around, and of course the joggers and walkers who throw their empty water bottles along the trails, and about those baseball players and their cleated shoes tearing up the grass.??????...................should I go on?????

The ban is unjust and unfair. I don't think they realize how many people detect.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Shaw said:
Was it a mass email back out or just to you cooltone? They will hopefully get tired of copy and paste once they keep coming.

That's what I had thought also .... and so I changed the first post in this thread.

I do hope more compose in their own words and send an email.
I changed the wording on the one I sent.

Their reply is a form email Mr. Johnson has been sending out in return.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I was talking about their copy and paste response. ;D :wink:

Maybe one a week sent in with different wording or questions? :o

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I thought it was a bunch of bull too. If they know something is out there, why dont they go and escavate. Its olny getting worse as time goes by, and not too long for now, mother nature will eat it up and make whatever it is into compost. They are just afraid that there will be a bunch of folks digging holes all over. I understand that unfortunately, there is that one jamoke who tears things up and leaves a mess behind ruining things for us.

I am afraid this will turn into a big bloody battle for both sides and we will never get a resolution. But, it is always worth a fight :thumbsup:

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Shaw said:

I copied and pasted it with all my info an sebt it to him. That way they now its a real person they can contact with this concern.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
One last thing I forgot to bring up, don't we pay taxes for these parks? Doesn't that mean we own a fraction of it? :icon_scratch:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this email back as well. I even sent a personal letter and not the one posted here.

The only thing I have to say is that bulk or not its a response, so that tells me at least they are open enough to respond and they didn't totally blow it off altogether. Now someone should find out the story behind the park, and type of historical trinkets removed. Then perhaps someone can chair a committee to convince them to at least let you form an annual hunt at that location. Throw in the angle that it can be a $10.00 a person hunt, the money in turn goes to the park for beautification, or even to an elected cause. Have the hunt supervised and any relics turned over while members of the hunt can keep any jewelry, and modern coins they find.

I know its not what you want or hope for, but it would promote the hobby as saying: Okay you imposed this on us, we will respect it and even help you recover artifacts for preservation if you let us, because that is how much we enjoy what we do. Any thing else found that isn't old we keep.

PICCman

May 20, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Yep, I just received the same formed response as cooltone did.
I suspect the same copy and paste tactic.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot I would first start by contacting
Main Phone
512/463-6100

Main Email
[email protected]

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 12276 Austin, TX 78711-2276

Physical Address — Main
1511 Colorado, Austin, TX 78701

to see if indeed someone had contacted them regarding the parks and if the information is correct or if maybe they misunderstood. Maybe it wasn't THC that contacted them but some busy body that mentioned THC, big difference.

PICCman

May 20, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
I like the positive spin in your response, Dawn. Only though active dialogue
with these people can we develop a good repore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread