Open letter to Commiss. Precinct 4 in small local paper--UPDATE !!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Hey everyone,
I had sent an open letter to the Commissioner of Precinct 4 area about the metal detector ban, to the small local newspaper here in Houston, The Leader. They printed it !!!!!!!!
The Leader, Volume 55 February 19,2009 Number 17.
The weekly paper has been published for over 55 years and has a coverage of between 20,000-60,000 households.

The Leader letter.jpg

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Re: Open letter to Commiss. Precinct 4 printed in small local paper

Great job dimeman, Taking it to another level! :thumbsup:

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice idea...they hate taking a hit in the paper where so many can see what they are up to. Great Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Very cool Dimeman, way to go on the publish.

That is another good outlet. You are really pushing the cause, you are probably the one that has pushed the most. Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Now off to hit precinct 4 parks tonight before it gets lifted. :wink: ;D

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV

WTG :thumbsup:

Hopefuly this will stir the kettle and get some started. Great work!

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008

Very well stated, keep us informed where it goes from here.

PICCman

May 20, 2007
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / DetectorPro HH

Dimeman, Thumbs up!!!

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i wrote the same sort of question to Eversole a couple of years ago and go the same canned response from the parks guy. The guy seriously misunderstands the Texas Antiquities act. The Act requires a public entity to request the historical designation and they mus have the exact coords, etc to get it done, The public entity also has to advertise it and then have hearings on it before they can call it an archeological site.

I researched all the commissioners courts records and there is NO mention of a rule other than the areas near Jesse Jones park that are actually historical sites or archeology sites.

I think I will just call Eversole up and see if I can get a meeting. Nothing to lose and he maybe will get his head out of his campaign coffers and do his duty.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

jas415 said:
i wrote the same sort of question to Eversole a couple of years ago and go the same canned response from the parks guy. The guy seriously misunderstands the Texas Antiquities act. The Act requires a public entity to request the historical designation and they mus have the exact coords, etc to get it done, The public entity also has to advertise it and then have hearings on it before they can call it an archeological site.

I researched all the commissioners courts records and there is NO mention of a rule other than the areas near Jesse Jones park that are actually historical sites or archeology sites.

I think I will just call Eversole up and see if I can get a meeting. Nothing to lose and he maybe will get his head out of his campaign coffers and do his duty.

Scroll down to "Open Air Pavillions" on the link below, and see the rule on detector use prohibited. I have been to 4 or 5 of the Precinct 4 parks and the signs do not mention anything about no detecting.

http://www.hcp4.net/parks/policies/pavilions.htm

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

Shaw said:
Very cool Dimeman, way to go on the publish.

That is another good outlet. You are really pushing the cause, you are probably the one that has pushed the most. Good luck and keep everyone posted.

Now off to hit precinct 4 parks tonight before it gets lifted. :wink: ;D

What would be great, if the weekly newspaper got some positive emails on the letter I sent them.

Anyone willing to send an email to the paper to let them know that the ban of detector use in parks is unfair and we help the park areas more than hurt???

Send to:

[email protected]

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

In the small weekly paper this week were 3 positive letters from readers who agreed that the ban on metal detectors is unfair.
Also was an answer from Mr. Eversole's damage control personel department.............

Eversole response.jpg

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Okay, someone needs to write a rebuttle to that.....preferably someone who can correctly interpret the Antiquities law.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I got an Idea to this....

If they are so worried about MD'ers finding something of historical value (who else would do it, they aren't), why dont they accomidate this issue by allowin an MD day at a couple parks around PCt. 4 each month. This way, they can have a county worker monitering the activity, and maybe it can generate a good family day for MD'ers. Even if they have to charge a small fee to pay for the workers or what ever reason they dish out, I think it wouldn't be such a bad thing. There are ways that this could work out for both parties, and I think an idea like mine should be recommended. :coffee2:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who else is missing this?

trinkets? as in maybe a few coins, jewelry etc, and wittnessed by the THC, ummm if it was of historic value the THC who wittnessed it would of seized and arrested the individual in question(and that would of made the news). I would seriously demand proff that somthing like this occured and it wasn't just some nosy biddy that complained to the parks people.
Someone needs to have a meeting with this guy with media around have him produce evidence that the THC is involved because I don't buy that they are.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Eversole, I specifically lost many 'trinkets' in Precinct 4 parks. I was young and drunk and don't remember exactly where. Can you assign me a park attendant to assist me with locating these? Keep after it Dimeman, you're helping all of us everywhere.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Check put my thread about the letter email I sent the Houston Press Blogs.

There are some good comments. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread