Metal Detectors on Airplanes

Mar 5, 2009
We are going to Colorado at the end of this month and visit some relatives and I am wondering if I could pack my Garrett 250 in my suitcase and bring it with me. We are flying Southwest. I just have nightmares about the last time I tried to put something expensive in my luggage -I came home from Germany with about $400 of Polish pottery and wouldn't you know, the food beagle alerted on me so I had to sit my purse and carry on down when I notice to my HORROR that baggage handlers are taking all the luggage, including mine off the carousel and throwing them one on top of the other. The only time I have ever seen them clear a carousel like that. I have the box it was shipped in and some bubble wrap. Has anyone else done that? I would hate to break it after having it for 3 weeks.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Well, I have done some flying with my detectors. If it is well packed in a suit case it should be ok. But most of the time I have taken it as carry on baggage. With it broke down to reduce the profile making it easier to put in overhead bin. Going through the security checkpoints. The security people have always gotten some laughs out of this. You know " Hey this guy has brought his own metal detector we can use it on him to check for metal objects." Sometimes a few questions have been ask but never a problem. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put mine in a suitcase padded with socks and underwear, tshirts, jockey shorts, etc. Then I put it inside another larger suitcase with newspaper padding all around the smaller one. It made it from Tulsa to Seattle without a bit of damage. Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Shouldn't be any problem. Just break it down.
I traveled to SC and carried on 2 detectors in a 19" long carry on bag w/extra coils, pinpointer, camcorder, pouch, etc. They hand checked the bags (said it was too crowded for the xray to determine what was in it. Kept batteries in machine in case they needed to test them. Didn't have a problem.

Note: digging tools, knives, etc. need to go in checked baggage---not carry on.

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have flown many times with my detectors also...around the U.S. and Mexico. If you can...remove the electronics and coil and put them in your carry-on as a couple others have mentioned and your shafts and handles in your checked baggage. Two things though....put the owners manual in there also to show them if they have a question...but the biggie is TAKE OUT THE BATTERIES! If you follow these simple rules you will not have any problems and you will have peace of mind knowing your detector is safe.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I have flown twice from Harlingen TX at the tip o Tex, to Nashville with a Garrett 2500 packed in a duffel with clothes all around it. I look back and think that was a little foolhardy, but nothing got broke. I am doing it again on 17 th of Mar, but I will bubble wrap the heck out of it this time. Good luck. CAB

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Have had no problem breaking down my Garret CXII and carrying on board the plane when flying from Raleigh to DFW. The digging kit goes in the suitcase.

Seajay

HHg in Austin

Greenie
Aug 21, 2007
I have taken my M/D's on at least 25 airplane rides,....mainly on American, but also Southwest. If your detector will break down small enough to fit into your "carry-on" luggage, that is what I ALWAYS did. Anytime you check your detector,....you can bet it will get some rough handling and could end up damaged by other heavy items being thrown on top of it in the cargo hold !!

BUT, yes,...you can most certainly take your detector !!

Later !
HHg

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought a pelican hard gun case for my machines when i travel. TSA thinks im transporting weapons so i have to open it for them but other than that ive never had any problems with traveling. that hard case makes all the difference in the world. i also put a decal on the case that reads "Caution-sensitive electrical equipment. Contents monitored by GPS tracking devise!" and also a
"Property of U.S. Government" engraving on it. the case is OD green so it really looks official. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread