Hendricks Lake - anything new

Pineywoodsman

Sep 23, 2017
Pflugerville Texas
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am from Elderville Texas, not far from Tatum and know the story well since I am a "Trammels Trace" nerd. I walked the trace as a kid, fished at Ramsdales Ferry, and knew the old growth forest before they mined the area.
I know the JP that owned the land, she used to let us fish and hunt there, but I never looked for the loot. There were so many sloughs and oxbows between the crossing and the Hendricks Lake property it always made me take pause and wonder if it was just the wrong lake.
The Sabine River water table made it hard to dredge even with big pumps, I heard.
You can still see traces of all the oxbows on Google Earth.
I heard a story when I was young that after the skirmish between Trammels men and the Spanish Army, one man made it out alive and was buired with an "X marks the spot" map, somewhere in Panola Co. but no way to search that lead.
Saw this thread and took the time to sign up, just to remember old times.
VM

Zack1970

Greenie
Aug 2, 2015
Longview, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi y'all. I'm in Houston and would be interested in joining a group to search.

Hey guys. I have been away from detecting for a while. I am living back in Longview now and not up to speed on things over the last 2-3 years. I would still like to do some more looking but not really sure where to start anymore. Luminent Energy owns everything around the lake except a few holdouts who still have homes there.

BTW ....................I'm no longer P47RCFlyer, Now Zack1970

Last edited:

jhobbs1824

Greenie
Apr 21, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I went down to Tatum about two years ago to look around and the area known as Hendricks Lake appears to have been pretty
much blocked off. I found only one way to gain entrance to the area but only after searching Google Earth upon my return home.
I live not far from the area. It appears to be a back water lake filling up during the spring rains. I have dowsed the area and
found there is a farm house near the lake which gave me some positive readings. I do not believe that the silver was placed
into the Lake either. That lake was drained and searched many years ago so it had to be buried nearby. I wish I could get access
to the area near the farm house/barn. Shucks!

Last edited:

Zack1970

Greenie
Aug 2, 2015
Longview, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to Tatum about two years ago to look around and the area known as Hendricks Lake appears to have been pretty
much blocked off. I found only one way to gain entrance to the area but only after searching Google Earth upon my return home.
I live not far from the area. It appears to be a back water lake filling up during the spring rains. I have dowsed the area and
found there is a farm house near the lake which gave me some positive readings. I do not believe that the silver was placed
into the Lake either. That lake was drained and searched many years ago so it had to be buried nearby. I wish I could get access
to the area near the farm house/barn. Shucks!

Where in the ETX area are you? Do you still hunt? I live in White Oak and would like to start back hunting again. Drop me a PM if you like, maybe we could get together and do some hunting. I know a place in Tyler and some places around Longview.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions