Friday afternoon hunt with Baggins

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Baggins and I have talked about getting together for awhile, and today was finally the day! We headed out to an old farmhouse I recently got permission to hunt. Early on-the 2nd or 3rd 'hit' I had on my detector, I dug up a 1944 wheat penny! After that Baggins found several buttons and some other relics. I decided to hit a trashy area near the house just to see if luck would be with me..well it wasn't. However I heard Baggins yell out that he had dug up an Indian head penny!! Woohoo! Now the pressure was on me, so I decided I better start digging those 'questionable' hits... After marveling at the variations of form that trash can take, I found a little coin or possibly button. It said 'Interurban Special' on it and the backside was very corroded..probably a button. I dug up an old shell casing and some other stuff and was getting discouraged about finding anything else. My phone rang and it was the 'so...what time do you think you'll be home' phone call. I knew we'd have to call it a day. I walked over and talked to Baggins for a minute-just long enough for fire ants to climb up the inside of my pants leg-and we decided we'd swing our way out. I got a good hit and was knelt down trying to dig it up when the ants started their evil work... Since we were near a road, and I don't know Baggins real well I decided to shake my pants leg and swat the ants instead of just dropping trou and being thorough about it. When I bent back down to resume my excavations, I saw the edge of a coin peeking out from the dirt...another wheat! This one was a 1930 and also not in real great condition.

All this was in addition to the $1.08 in clad I found this morning at around sunup... A great day!!

I'll get some pics of my finds later and Baggins should be along later tonight to post his pics!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
The "Interurban Special" sounds like it might be an overall button. :-\ Sounds like a great time though other than those dang fire ants. :thumbsup:

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buddy,

You know how I feel about it already - WAY TO GO!!!!!

You've convinced me not to go to the Treasure Show - want to go hunt Sunday instead?

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Yea, it was a good day, and a great location! I am looking forward to getting back out there...I am currently at work, and won't be home till after 2am....If I don't post pics when I get home, I will in the am...
Baggins

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I try to stay away from having to do the ant dance, I'm not that coordinated.
but it still sounds like you had a good day

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
LOL! Yeah, Sunday might work..

So far my spring break tally has been:

Wednesday-sunrise park hunt, 2 cents and 3 matchbox cars that my 2yr old LOVES because Daddy found 'em
Friday-sunrise park hunt, 3 clad quarters, 2 nickels, one dime, a ton of pennies, an earring back and pulltabs galore, afternoon farmhouse hunt, all the things mentioned above.. Here are the pics of the farmhouse finds. I need to work on my macro photo skills!

DSCF8481.JPG
DSCF8484.JPG

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Sorry, I didn't have time to post my finds today...I didn't get home from work until 4:00am, and now I am back at work until at least 3:00am....
Baggins

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Well, wouldn't you know it, I slept nearly the entire day away, then when I got up, there was a huge honey-do list that I had to start on....I did remember that I took a pic of one of the buttons I had found with my phone, and will post that....It was an eyeball find, since we just got a ton of rain here last week...there was no back on it, and it is not the best pic, but I will post a pic of it cleaned, and my other finds tomorrow...I promise!
Baggins

Attachments

• Field button.JPG
    Field button.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 190

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..............PYLEDRIVER................HOWDY.........The Interurban Special was an electric passenger trainline that also took people to Galveston's Beaches and the Strand besides going to Dallas!!........................What part of Texas are you in??..............HH............Joe

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That's cool! I haven't done any research on that so I appreciate the input. I'm in the metromess-north of Dallas in Plano. There are still a few spots left that haven't been turned into shopping centers or mcmansions..LOL!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Finally, here are some pics of the finds I made on Friday at the farm site with Pyledriver...There are a couple that I could use some help with....one looks like a coin, but seems as if it is maybe pewter...was kinda hoping it was a counterfit coin...also a small metal piece that has a flower design that apparently broke off of a bigger piece....It may take several posts for the pics....

Attachments

• small farm finds.JPG
    small farm finds.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 162
  • fake coin.JPG
    fake coin.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Farm finds.JPG
    Farm finds.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 161
  • small farm finds.JPG
    small farm finds.JPG