Detector advise

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well I've been using a bounty hunter commando for a few months. Its been ok, been finding some clad and a few bullets. My wife is interested in detecting now also so I wanna get another metal detector. Any advice on what I should get. I live in the austin area, I mainly coin shoot but would love to relic hunt alittle more. So what do ya'll think?

woodwizard

Mar 28, 2009
haven't got it yet suppose to be here mon by ups,I ordered a fisher F5,I also have a bh202,been pretty successful with it.been useing it close to 10yrs.lots of good machines out there,Idecided on the F5 on controls,lite wieght,depth also got a good price on it.was Tesoro's got nice stuff and a lifetime warrenty. Most of all get one your happy with you have to swing it.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Welcome aboard, Rob.

I'm a big Tesoro fan. They work well here in Kalifornia..
Their machines are made in Arizona, in Prescott.
It's a great family business. Great product, and best warranty in the business.

TexasConnection will probably see your post and may have advice what works well in your soil type,
if there's anything you need to look out for. He might be near you.

(Yes, I realize Texas is HUGE and everything is spread out! ;D) LoL

Best
rmptr

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
that would get you into a ace 250 and leave enough for a set of headphones.
I'd look at Kellyco, the sponsor at the top of the page

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Yup Sniffers got it right Ace 250 is a great machine for that price range, but make sure your headphones have a volume knob as The ace 250 does not.

OP
OP
R

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'll look into the Ace 250..Just outta curiosity what detector should I be saving for with all my findings... ;D....what would be the best you can get for our area?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Well in that price range you will find most folks will be recommending the ace 250, Garret is located in dallas and you can get your machine in just a few days from them, I use Kellyco for most my stuff, but I bought my first ace 250 on ebay, It was like new and I got a little price break, I have seen the minlabe SE that I use go for as little as 650.00 on Ebay, and its a 1,400 machine new.
About the only diffrence in areas is, if I was close to the coast Id probaly also own a high end water machine,If I lived in Gold country Id get a high end gold machine. But for central Texas where you'll be relic hunting and coin shooting at school yards and old homesight, the ace 250 is a great starter machine for the money, and I'd still call it a serious mans detector.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Rob,go to texaspremiumdetectors.com

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....................Also check out the Minelab Sovereign Elite ....................I found one used for $385.00..................and seen other ads for it around the $400.00 dollar mark.............Very good machine....................lots of accessories can be found for it like smaller and larger coils, ID meter, etc. ................This detector goes a lot deeper than an ACE 250...................Joe

joelt

Jan 5, 2007
Far North Austin
Detector(s) used
F5, F4, Sidewinder
I have a Fisher F4 with 3 coils that I would sell to you in your price range. I'm in North Austin myself, Wells Branch

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
What ever you do get her something light or she won't swing it long. I have an ace and agree its a good starter machine, but I'd check out the tesoro silver umax also. I use a Vaquero most times and its light with a really fast retune(great in trashy areas). I've used the ace in Austin and out around canyon lake, never had any problems with mineralization, plus it'll work well at the coast in dry and damp sand, just turn down the sensistivity.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range I would pick a Ace 250 package You can get the package with the 4" coil plus the stock 6x9 headphone and digging kit for 300.00 a lot of bang for the buck.

OP
OP
R

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I did go with the Ace 250...So far so good. I've gotten almost as many coins as the old bounty hunter in just 4 days. I found alot of missed coins in my own yard. Still looking for my first old coin though.

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you got the Ace 250. I was going to suggest the Tesoro Cibola. Congrats on the new machine.

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
That ACE is a great little machine. Mine paid for itself in just a month or two. (When I had time to detect!)

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,
Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread