Looking for a friend to hunt with.....

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
Hello Texans...I'm from NY, and have had great luck metal detecting there. I came down after Ike hit and have ended up staying on Galveston Island (I think that I've "Gone to Texas" for good). I have looked at old maps and such, but am not having much luck here in Texas MDing. I've done some detecting at an old golf course and finally managed to find one silver dime, but I am more interested in the earlier stuff from the 1800's. I've ventured into the woods, saw an alligator, armidillo, no rattle snakes (yet). If there is anyone who lives near Galveston, or even as far north as Houston, who wants to show me the lay of the land I would love to go out....Thanks and HH...Michelle

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I'm in League city. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime after work(5:00) or on weekends if the surfs flat. Most times after work I just hunt the local parks. You really have to get out of our area to get older stuff, most older places around here have been torn down and overfilled to raise the elevation.

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
I'm not there anymore, but I grew up in Galveston and can point you to some places to check out to see if they're huntable.

Pelican Island lies to the north of the island. There's a bridge to it. I was the site of the old quarantine station, and I think the old collection of buildings is a park now. Old history with a lot of people moving through it. At the far west end of the island, there's now a bridge across San Luis Pass. Before the bridge, and probably still, it was a hot fishing spot, because you could work them as they passed through to the bay. Lots of folks standing to fish, messing with stuff in their pockets. There was a lot of stuff in that area in the 1800's when there was a ferry. Also around the estuary on the San Luis side. The Flagship Hotel, out on the pier, used to be an amusement park. Obvious source of coins around and below the pier. I don't know the state of the beaches post-storm, but we used to drive to the far east end of the seawall, then right on the road that runs toward the lighthouse, then left to hook around north up the beach. Habit was to park well back from the water and hang out there and fish and crab out in the shallow water. The area near the lighthouse on Boliver Peninsula, at the other end of the ferry ride, is a very old area. The storm no doubt stirred things up on all those beach areas, and that area was inhabited way back to the earliest days before the Republic. There was a civil war battery there that I think is a county park. Rosenberg Library has excellent history collections.

In a lot of Galveston, the older parts, remember that every home was raised and the land raised by pumping sand from the Gulf after the 1900 storm, so the pre-1900 layer is very deep.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Except the actual beach, San Luis Pass is privately held and all condos or beach homes. The area on pelican Is. might be worth a shot. Over on Bolivar the old light house and fort area is off limits because it is a state historical site. I would start asking people who own older homes if they would permit you to hunt their property, maybe work out some sort of split on the goodies or what ever. Found a few coins after Ike, nothing great no silver. After spring break I would hunt the renourished areas. ought to be some coins and jewelry. That ace will do fine in the dry sand, you'll have to reduce the sens when you get close to the water though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread