HARRIS COUNTY PARKS - EFFECTIVE MAY 01, 2009

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
This is just...... wrong!!!

Might want to sticky note this for future reference-

Enclosed - please find a link for the new local regulations for Harris County parks: EFFECTIVE MAY 01, 2009

It seems that Commissioners of Precincts 1, 2, 3, and 4 have joined with County Judge Ed Emmet to sign into law a countywide list of rules and regulations concerning the use and allowed activities in Harris County parks. This applies to ALL county parks as a whole. Signed on April 21, 2009

Please note "Section 15" Metal Detectors - on page 4

http://www.hctx.net/cmpdocuments/2/park rules/rulesregulations.pdf

Violations are now punishable as a "Class C Misdemeanor"

Looks like the parks are off limits countywide now.... *sigh*

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Ok that sucks. What exactly is "specificly contracted with the county" mean? I guess if you want to get around it...get a signed contract from the county to do community service removing trash from the parks. It could be a project for your MD club. If you didn't tell them you were gonna use metal detectors to find the trash or that your organization was a metal detecting club (even if there is only one member in your club, lol) you would have a "specific contract". If you apply for the contract right, by right I mean be very careful how you word things, they will probably jump at the chance for someone to pick up trash in the parks for free. Good luck,

HH Charlie

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..............SOUNDS LIKE THIS WAS SNUCK INTO THE LAWS AT THE LAST MINUTE........

OP
OP
Terrafisher

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
What I find to be just as disturbing-

They even took the time to add regulations regarding pinatas, moonwalks, balloons, marriages, religious celebrations, and many more seemingly harmless activities as well as metal detecting. I could understand if it was an activity that endangered the lives of other visitors, or caused considerable damage to the location, but as long as it wasn't doing either of those, why the big deal? (Perhaps to make a buck off the permits and fines?)

Geez, I remember in my younger days back in the 60's, (I was born and raised in Harris County) you could metal detect, camp, party, play, or whatever you wished in our parks, on our rivers and lakes, or just about anywhere you wanted to, and nobody cared. Now, in present times you need a large bankroll, written permission or a permit, insurance, and a good attorney!

Times, they are a-changing! (and not for the better..... *sigh*)

Gordon.......... on the east side

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Looks like they are just trying to keep law and order going, I guess if Judge Roy Bean was there things could be worse.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Same way around here now too. We used to go to the river and fish off the tailgates of our trucks at the spillway. Once the city annexed the area, sitting on your tailgate drinking a beer while you were fishing became an open container in your vehicle. There is no beer allowed at the city parks without a "special event" permit...no more softball leagues. No smoking (its outside for petes sake). They can't make alcohol or tobacco illigal so they are just making it off limits where everyone wants to use it. Local Gov't/politicians just suck.

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Looks like they are enforcing the laws on open containers, they must figure it will cut down on drunk drivers. But folks who drink will still drive if they want to.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Maybe people just need to stop going to all Houston parks, Houston in general sucks anyway, I hate going to that stinking, polluted city. There is nothing but a gray haze on the skyline inside Houston as you drive into the city limits. I do field trips for Angleton ISD and do several field trips to Houston taking various school students, the pollution is terrible, you got any type of breathing aliments and you can be in serious trouble.....Good hunting to all. HH

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I guess Emmet got ticked off by the petition and called his buddies.
This is just wrong. >:(
4 judges just kicked thousands of us in the teeth.
Nothing to lose now, let's get that petition out again and send it to all of them.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Even more reason to sign the petition by Dimeman...It asks for a donation, but that is not a requirement. JUST SIGN IT.................... HH Gayle

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
rsc said:
Even more reason to sign the petition by Dimeman...It asks for a donation, but that is not a requirement. JUST SIGN IT.................... HH Gayle

Better yet why not get all your friends to vote against the people responsible for that bit of work at the next election. Nothing an elected official fears more than an organized campaign at election time.

Wait a minute ..... Ya All voted them in in the first place.
Welcome to the liberal social party, folks! It's for your own good!

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the petition raised the fact that there was no LAW or Ordinance prohibiting the use of metal detectors, just the direction of Eversol! So, they all got together and created a new set of rules that covered metal detectors!

Not too sure the commissioners can do this without public hearings and comment. It essentially changes the way the PUBLICLY owned parks can be used and I think they are required to hold public hearings before changing the rules.

I totally agree that we should start s campaign of writing to local papers, citizen groups, and political parties, Hispanic groups especially because they use the parks more thatn just about any group, to create more awarness of how the Commissioners are acting! Without the consent of the governed!

If this is allowed to stand, all the restrictions, we have essentially put PUBLIC parks off limits to everything except walking or sitting! A gathering to celebrate a birthday party would require a permit, a pick-up game of ball, just about anything that was other than sitting or walking, requires some sort of 'approval' and or permit - MONEY! A tax without calling it a TAX!

Throw them out, especially Eversol!!!!!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
jas415 said:
Not too sure the commissioners can do this without public hearings and comment. It essentially changes the way the PUBLICLY owned parks can be used and I think they are required to hold public hearings before changing the rules.

I totally agree that we should start s campaign of writing to local papers, citizen groups, and political parties, Hispanic groups especially because they use the parks more thatn just about any group, to create more awarness of how the Commissioners are acting! Without the consent of the governed!

The petition was started because some of the Precinct 4 county parks had no ban on metal detecting. Then about 4 years ago, they started the ban.

And now .....they changed the rules in the other precinct county parks.
Can the county judges and commissioners change rules like this without public hearings or consent?? They have done so already and continue to do so. :o

What else have they put on the books that the people who have elected them in office don't know about, until it is already over and done????

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Robbie..Why don't you run for County Commish. Eversol lives in the Heights, NOT in Precinct 4. At least he would not run unopposed..... Gayle

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I sent a letter to each of the county commissioners stating that the new rules were unjust, based upon precinct 4's "trinkets" digging. :)

Looks like the precinct 3 commissioner forwarded his letter to the precinct 3 parks department.

This morning Friday,I got a personal phone call from the parks superintendent in precinct 3, Steve Dorman. :o

He said they all voted for the uniform rules so each precinct wouldn't have their own rules.

Mr. Dorman told me he has seen lots of metal detectorists in the precinct 3 parks and he "has no problem with anyone detecting in precinct 3 parks". As long as we cover up any holes he said nobody will bother you.

*** Officially.... the "park police" probably will cite the rules and regulations.***

Any Harris county area detectorist, write a letter stating that the metal detecting rules are unjust.
Send one to each county commissioner...........
A few minutes of your time, 4 envelopes and stamps.....

commissioner El Franco Lee precinct 1 ( after 1001 Preston put floor or room number) 9th floor

commissioner Sylvia Garcia precinct 2 room 950

commissioner Steve Radack precinct 3 9th floor

commissioner Jerry Eversole precinct 4 room 927

1001 Preston
Houston, TX 77002

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions