MIGHT be hitting S. Padre this summer..

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It's still a maybe, but our primary vacation plan is in danger of being cancelled, and it looks like south Padre will be our backup plan. I've never been there! I'm wondering about any rules, regs, etc. other than what I've heard about national seashores? Mainly just some guidance! Also, depending on timeframe, if anybody local might want to get together for a hunt? I'm not sure how much detecting time I'll have, but I plan on trying, even if it's in the middle of the night!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
south padre is fine to detect, all the way from the mansfield cut south. Now on the Corpus side then you have the national sea shore. If you don't have 4x4 don't try to drive on the beach. If you are looking for jewelry and clad, you can hit anywhere in front of the condos and hotels there are lots of public access points. The two parks one on each end of the island you have to pay to get into but the Isla Blanca is really nice with pavilions showers and restrooms and its like $4 a car. Let me know when you are going to be down and few of us here might meet up with ya.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Yep, Dawn is always up to go swinging in the sand. There is a ton of beach to detet and a lot of fun to have. We may run into each other. Come on down!! ;D ;D

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok! I may have to just make it happen either way!

BobTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
I went to Padre via Corpus last fall on vacation. This was before I was even considering metal detecting . If you can get into talking with the locals on the best beaches to go to they may tell you. I used to surf (not in Texas) so I was asking about the beach breaks and I got alot of sugestions. Usually it is a dead end road where you can park on hard sand without a fee. (I did this with my Corolla). Not sure if South Padre could be better with all the drunk college kids dropping their change and car keys on the beach :)

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first Diamond ring years ago. Surprising enough I found it under a walk way down to the beach.

06colorado

Feb 14, 2009
West/Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty HUnter Quick Draw 2
if it wasnt such a long drive for me, i'd really like to hit the coast for a week... plenty of sun, girls in bikinis, and potentially plenty of treasures to find.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Hey, ask Txkickergirl, about 3 mi north of the last beach access is where all of the nudist hang out. Trust me, it ain't all Fabio and Swedish swimsuit models!!!! :o :o :o

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL, yep my 13yr old is scared for life after that adventure with us Chris. Good thing the weather was a bit cool and more nudist weren't out. I know the conversation with his brother went----dude, don't go metal detecting with mom if she says shes going on 4x4 turf, and by the way naked people look different then on tv and not in a good way.

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
LOL! Apparently there are several 'hangouts' (pun intended) in Texas! I've stumbled across a couple so far and they all seem to share a common trait (with a few exceptions). That being the desire to yell out 'PUT THE CLOTHES BACK ON, PLEASE!'. LOL.. I'll even warn folks right now, there is one area of PINS near Corpus where my fishing buddy and I won't go now because of the types hanging out there and what they do when they KNOW somebody might see! :angry7: The fishing wasn't that good anyway...

As it turns out, I may have a Port Arthur trip in my future as well. This would be a weekend trip, mostly fishing but the detector will FOR SURE be with me! All this is very preliminary right now. It's hard to plan anything at this point because I'm working around my mom's chemo and upcoming surgery!

BobTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
I love fishing and it seems these hobbies can fit together well. If the fish arent biting you can always take out the MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread