Got interviewed this afternoon ***UPDATE 5-22-09***

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
I've been trying to locate an old time capsule in Haggard Park in Plano, TX for the better part of a year now and it seems that channel 8 in Dallas got word of it.

I was asked to meet one of the reporters out at the park today to tell him about the 2 time capsules that have gone missing.

The first time capsule is one that I remember as a child in the 70s being buried out there that had a plaque stating that it was to be opened in 2023 (I believe). I remember it being located over towards the SW corner of the park. I can't locate it and the City of Plano hasn't been able to either. When I first called asking about it they asked if I was looking for the Texas Sesquicentennial time capsule, they can't find it either! That would be the 2nd one I'm now looking for.

The gent from channel 8 came out and I told him what all I knew and how I had been looking for it. He and I hope that the piece will get aired and someone will remember some information about one or both of them and they can be located once again and marked so that they can be opened when the time comes.

He got some footage of me in the park with my MD looking around a little bit. The main problem is that the wireless mic they had me wear kept making the MD beep and burp.. ;D

Grip

Updates down below

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Got interviewed this afternoon

When is it going to be on tv? I think we need an organized hunt out there! :)

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used

baylorhall said:
When is it going to be on tv? I think we need an organized hunt out there! :)

I'll know more today or tomorrow aboutt he air date.

I agree 100% about an organized hunt! This would be a great way for us to show what we as a MD community can do, not to mention we could possibly find these things!

I would like to make one suggestion though, if we do have a hunt I think it would be good of us to "loan" any and all findings to the Interurban Museum that is on site at the park if they would like to display them. They are having a tough time with funding and anything that can help them get by would be appreciated by all.

Does anyone have a 2 box they could bring out for a major sweep of the areas I have targeted thus far?

Grip

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. Any idea how deep they were buried?

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon

Cool news Grip, keep us posted on your progress and the clip if they send it out.

Good luck.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20

A great opportunity to promote MDing to the general public and let authorties know our good intentions. Way to go!!

JJTheisen

Apr 19, 2009
USAF
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250

Tuche and sounds like that is going to make for a great story! I agree with the above post about good intentions. It seems like so many people look at MDers as greedy and wanting to break rules, when all we want is to unearth things so the world can see them and not forget about them. Good job.

JJ :coffee2:

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used

Hola again everyone.

How deep are they buried? Well rumor has it that they went down about 18" when they buried them originally, but I found out today that the park area has been BUILT UP!!! They may now be at 2-4 feet deep! If that is the case we may not be able to find them with conventional MDs. A 2 box may work for us though...

My main hope is that Channel 8 will put the positive spin on it as they indicated they would. If they make the city out to be fools or something I can guarantee that all cooperation from them will probably cease. They are already embarrassed about not knowing where they are... This could backfire on me. :-\

One of the main points I tried to make was just as JJ said, I'm not looking for it just for me, I'm looking for it for ALL of the people, mainly the ones that participated in the packing and burial of it.

I'll keep everyone up to date about how it goes.

Grip

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
Re: Got interviewed this afternoon ***UPDATE***

I heard that I was on the 6:00 PM news tonight on Channel 8.

I've gone to the web site but only find the story and not the video. Looks like a pretty positive spin was put on it from what I've been told by a few that saw the airing of it.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/d...ories/wfaa090519_mo_timecapsule.1d5f7218.html

Video link: http://www.wfaa.com/video/index.html?nvid=363404

Now if I can just find the darn thing... LOL That would make a GREAT followup story.

Grip

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
It seems the Plano folks are VERY interested now (YES!!!!!) and the local Plano paper interviewed me as well. The interview from the Plano paper, in my opinion, will get a better response than the TV spot did. A LOT of the older folks in town take the paper and may not watch channel 8.

http://www.scntx.com/articles/2009/05/22/plano_star-courier/news/719.txt

Grip

OP
OP
DrGrip

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
Dirtdigger2 said:
Maybe contact Garrett, They may loan a 2 box for the hunt. Might be good P.R. for them if the news team comes back for a follow up

Great advice!

I've actually been in talks with Garrett and hope to find out on Tuesday as to whether or not they can get me fixed up!

I would LOVE to have a few folks meet me at the park in the near future to establish a few more targets prior to getting the 2 box though.

Grip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread