Illegal to in Galveston County?

CXAcorn

Jun 17, 2009
Is it Illegal to MD in Galveston county? I imagine port bolivar would be off limits due to the Ike damage. However Galveston beach, sabine pass, and the likes should be free game because the beaches are public? I am asking because I'm having a hard time finding out the legalaties through search engines. Don't want to be tossed in jail for finding a few quarters and tin cans :X. I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm new to all of this

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I hunt the beaches and have never had a hassle. Off limits would be areas of the state parks, corp parks, or the National seashore. Some people do not cover their holes on the beach "because the tide will fill it in" I cover all holes reguardless. All we need is for somebody to step in one before the tide does its job, and twist an ankle.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You're doing the right thing to look the issue up on your own, rather than asking a live-person. The reason: Someone could say "no", simply because he envisions geeks with shovels, or morphs something like "don't disturb the vegetation" or "cultural heritage" wording, etc.... And odds are, that same desk-bound-clerk could probably have cared less, or ever noticed you, or ever given the matter thought (until someone comes in with this "pressing issue") ::)

So if the parks rules, for whatever entity you are going to, are silent on the issue, then consider yourself no different than any other park user. Frisbee, swing sets, skipping stones on the pond, etc... are all as fair game as detecting, unless told otherwise.

Of course, use discretion, go at low traffic times, don't be in the middle of a hole when a busy-body approaches, etc...

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Galveston State park is off limits. BUT I dont know about water hunting there

OP
OP
C

CXAcorn

Jun 17, 2009
Thank you for the help guys :) Just one more question, What about bolivar island?

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I have never hunted Bolivar. I know others that have hunted it with no problems, If you are hunting the beach be sure to stay below the vegetation line, anything above it is private property. The old fort historic area near the jetty is also off limits.

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
sqwaby said:
I have never hunted Bolivar. I know others that have hunted it with no problems, If you are hunting the beach be sure to stay below the vegetation line, anything above it is private property. The old fort historic area near the jetty is also off limits.

It is safe to hunt the public beaches over on Boliver. Just stay off private property and the old fort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread