New to San Antonio and Metal Detecting

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Frank,

I'm Mel (aka... borninok). Currently I am living in Manassas, VA. However.....I'm in the midst of a divorce and when everything is said and done....and when I am finally free of this garbage, I will be moving to Kerrville, TX....just outside of SA. So.....your task...LOL.....is to learn all you can about the where-to-fores of the area.....and then when I get there we can hook up. Up here everybody does Civil War stuff, so I do beach metal detecting instead....LOL (Hint: A lot more sights at the beach...ha/ha).

I have been MDng for 3 years now, but still consider myself a newbie.

On TNET's home page, look in the tabs for the different states....click on Texas....and there you go......

Just do me a favor....save some stuff for me....ha/ha

Mel

borninok

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of stuff with that ace, take the time to learn it and don't hesitate to post any questions, the people on the forums are a great source of info. Hey Borninok bring some of that cool air south with you..

OP
OP
E

entwipreneur

Aug 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks guys. I guess it is a good time of year to head to South Padre for the weekends!

Frank

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
entwipreneur said:
Hi all,

Name is Frank. I am fairly new to San Antonio and totally new to metal detecting (just purchased a Garrett ACE 250).

I am mainly interested in trying to find silver/gold coins.

Any suggestions on where I should go first.

Thanks
Frank
.....................Frank you need a permit to hunt the City Parks of San Antonio.....Call the City Parks Dept.................the area schools should be ok.......the weather there is very hot right now.....so not to leave any brown spots.......... may be wise to wait for the fall weather......in the meantime.....check out the beaches either on Corpus Christi and/or South Padre Island via Port Isabel.........................HH........Joe

OP
OP
E

entwipreneur

Aug 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks Joe, yes it is hot lately :-)

As far as Corpus Christi or South Padre, is one generally considered better than the other for metal detecting?

Thanks,
Frank

mmaninja

Dec 30, 2012
I too am new to San Antonio and do realize this is a very old post. I just got a metal detector as a gift (a Bounty Hunter Platinum series). I don't know anyone here and know nothing about metal detecting other than I've been intrigued with it for years and am very excited about my new hobby. I have joined this site but am finding it difficult to connect with anyone unless I pay a fee for membership in a club. Although I am a nice, kind, outgoing man, I am not the "club" type of socialite. I am a family man and just wondered if anyone can give me some information about metal detecting in this area and how you connected with others who express the same interest. I live outside city limits and have scoped out some cool spots that seem accessible to the public and not private land where any signs posted advise against trespassing. Any advice for a complete newbie to this area and hobby? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to be a socialite type to attend a detecting club meeting. It's a great place to see what others have found, and to meet people with a common interest. Most clubs are low key and visitors are allowed.If you don't want to join after visiting, at least you will see what you can find and maybe get some tips on rules in your area.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's up mmaninja, I am also new to MDing. I live just north of SA in Boerne and have a couple of places to hunt, but still no luck with old coins. If you want to go MDing sometime just let me know.

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been metal detecting for about 20 years now, I've lived in floresville, just south of san Antonio for the last 13 years. Just started getting back into it again now the the kids are a little older and they let the wife and i get out and hunt. Lol I love talking and teaching people about our great hobbies. So any new hobbiest or new to the area, message me and I'll help in any way i can and maybe we all hunt together. I came across a site here on Floresville that looks good and i haven't hunted it yet.

rhoffart

Jan 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, Rick from Boerne area. Totally new, don't even own one yet. I have been poking around trying to get an idea of what to buy. Still don't have a clue. Hopefully I'll have one soon.

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's up Rick, Im in boerne too. There is alot of choices on metal detectors, but I would go with something low to mid price range to start with like an ace 250 or 350. I use an ace 350 and it does good for the cost, soon Im upgrading to a minelab e-trac! I wouldn't recommend the e-trac because it's very expensive, more complicated, and if metal detecting isn't what you'd expected your out alot of money. Hope this helped and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

P.S. Welcome to t-net!

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some in catalogs in the mail,but not sure what to purchase in that regards. Years ago we used to drive around all over the place and find all kinds of abandoned farms and even some ghost towns near the San Antonio area. When I retire i was thinking of maybe getting into the hobby. What do you all do with the items you find? Anyone one find anything valuable? And is there a club in San Antonio were everyone meets and then goes outdetecting together?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kerrville is about 60 miles north west of SA,it's a bit of a drive,but a nice drive at that.You might try the coast right after spring break,I have friends who do very nicely {$$$} on the beach right after spring break.

gatorgirl514

Mar 4, 2016
Davis, CA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,
My husband and I just relocated to San Antonio and are hoping to get out and use our metal detectors. We're complete newbs and would be interested in joining an actual club so we can learn from others. Any recommended clubs or sites are appreciated.
Thanks,
Alison

hadite81

Feb 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, AT PRO, MineLab Eqinox 600 Tesoro Conquistador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dectecting San Antonio

Hi All,
My husband and I just relocated to San Antonio and are hoping to get out and use our metal detectors. We're complete newbs and would be interested in joining an actual club so we can learn from others. Any recommended clubs or sites are appreciated.
Thanks,
Alison

Alison,
not sure if you are still active here, but SA has a club, just use your googlefoo!
Been out of hobby awhile and plan on attending next meeting Feb 8th to evaluate if returning is a waste of time due to all the restrictions.

thundurchasur

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2018
Hondo, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Hondo, about 30 miles west of San Antonio, and don't have a metal detector yet but am looking. I don't know for sure what I want and that's the problem. I'd like to be able to find small gold as well as silver coins and relics. I've been here in the area for little over a year now and in Texas for 2 years. i was living on my sailboat in Rockport up until 8 weeks before Harvey blew ashore there.

I live very close to Hondo Creek and have never heard of any gold being found in it but it flows out of the hill country just like the Llano River does where gold has been found. I know there's a lot of exposed bedrock but haven't done any real research.

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome:hello: to Tnet………………………………………………………………...:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread