Battle of Medina dig

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador and Magna-Trak MT202 Magnetic Locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received call from Dan this afternoon. Our next dig is on Oct. 2. Weeds are high so bring your snake proof equipment.
Moe

MEDIA ADVISORY Contact: Dan Arellano
September 17, 2010 512-826-7569

The “Battle of Medina,” Archeological Research

On Saturday October 2nd volunteers will depart at 7:30 AM from the McDonalds-Shell station on the corner of loop 410 and Hi 281 south. Please note the change!! From there we will be led onto private property. This is 37 acres so we should be there most of the day. This is a chance to also be in a possible documentary. There will be a film crew from New York coming the NEXT weekend so regardless of whether we find anything or not they will be interviewing me at the location ; which means if you WANT a chance to be in the film you may have to make a second trip.

Please bring your lunch and water along with shovels and metal detectors. This is not a finder’s keeper’s event; all artifacts will be cataloged and photographed.

For more information: Dan Arellano
[email protected]
512-826-7569

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Approximately 6 days have passed without any comments, questions, replies to this post. Would appreciate those planning to come to San Antonio for the dig, to let us know, so we can get an idea as to the size of the group that will be assembled. Please email info to Dan [email protected] or
Moe [email protected]

Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Sorry Moe.....I've been scrambling trying to get those days off...Sounds like there is basically two dates for the hunt.....one is for Saturday Oct. 2nd and then the next Saturday Oct. 9th....I just barely got my request to be off just in time.......Due to work obligations some of us cannot make both dates .....namely me......tell Dan that I can make it for the Oct. 9th hunt ...mainly cause my son also wants to go and that is a better date for us........Anyway it gives me more time to find my New York Ball Cap........LOL.......Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....I will probably make a stop at "Academy"...to find some Snake Chaps......sure would hate to step on one of those critters.........I saw one last time but he was running in the opposite direction from me .......Thank God............Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
....Sorry Moe.....I've been scrambling trying to get those days off...Sounds like there is basically two dates for the hunt.....one is for Saturday Oct. 2nd and then the next Saturday Oct. 9th....I just barely got my request to be off just in time.......Due to work obligations some of us cannot make both dates .....namely me......tell Dan that I can make it for the Oct. 9th hunt ...mainly cause my son also wants to go and that is a better date for us........Anyway it gives me more time to find my New York Ball Cap........LOL.......Joe

Joe,
Good to hear from you again. Glad you and your son are coming down. Hopefully we can find some artifacts this time. Don't forget to stop at Academy.
How many detectors are you bringing this time? Last time it took me a half hour to unload all your detectors from your truck.....LOL
Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....Moe.....Just tell everyone to leave their detectors at home.......I can supply everyone with at least one detector..............LOL............Joe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......Moe...Now being more serious.....I assume that the meeting time and place for Oct. 9th will be the same as it is for the Oct. 3rd date........if not.....please inform me.........have you been contacted by anyone else besides me!!??.....thanks Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
......Moe...Now being more serious.....I assume that the meeting time and place for Oct. 9th will be the same as it is for the Oct. 3rd date........if not.....please inform me.........have you been contacted by anyone else besides me!!??.....thanks Joe

Joe,
I'm also assuming that it will be the same place and time. The first dig is on the 2nd not the 3rd. I'll let you know after our first dig if anything has changed. You're the only one that has contacted me thru TNet. Nobody has contacted me thru email. Maybe they are contacting Dan thru email. Maybe this time it will be a very small group. I hope my mentioning snake protection didn't scare some people away. I'm just telling it like it is. These areas we have been going to aren't like detecting at the park or the beach.
Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....Moe...if you are getting no response ...tell Dan it is because there is another Hunt that has been planned for a long time that is happening in Uvalde ....starting on Oct. 16th and some are staying for like a week.....most of the Texas T-Net-ers...have already committed to that hunt plus have the same problem as me.....can only get off some of the week-ends .....I'll be there on the 9th of Oct......Also the meeting location is it the same Shell Station that we met on June 6th, 2009??......Joe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
.....Moe...if you are getting no response ...tell Dan it is because there is another Hunt that has been planned for a long time that is happening in Uvalde ....starting on Oct. 16th and some are staying for like a week.....most of the Texas T-Net-ers...have already committed to that hunt plus have the same problem as me.....can only get off some of the week-ends .....I'll be there on the 9th of Oct......Also the meeting location is it the same Shell Station that we met on June 6th, 2009??......Joe

Joe,
You are probably right. Maybe some of the other email recepients on Dan's list will show up. Anyway you and me will represent T-Net. Also its the same Shell station where we met on June 6th, 2009.
Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......Moe....bring your cannonball.....I have a funny(ironic) feeling that most of the detectors are either ignoring or nulling on that hunk of iron.....some may have to use only the All-Metal mode.....Also is there a cheap way to make some snake chaps.....I think that I heard that some use heavy cardboard with Duct Tape!!??....I AM ALREADY EXCITED ......ARE YOU??.........Joe

pushback

Greenie
Nov 13, 2004
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270
Hi guys; I've just lately caught up on this topic and I have a couple of additions, having been in contact with Dan and a 1/2 dozen previous Medina hunts....

first, the hunt is Saturday Oct 2nd, Meeting 0730 at McDonalds on Loop 410 and 281S as MoSi said.
second, Dan is speaking at Nuevo Leon restaurant on Oct. 9 morning, so there is definitely no hunt on that date, possibly some unmentioned other date.

pushback

Greenie
Nov 13, 2004
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270
Also, for those unfamiliar with San Antonio....

that Loop 410 and 281S McDonalds is on the SOUTH side of the city, not the North. :thumbsup:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....This is a Major Mis-Communication...if there is no Hunt on Oct. 9th.....This is the date that I asked off.......I cannot come on Oct. 2nd.....I AM GREATLY DISAPPOINTED..........JOE

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
....This is a Major Mis-Communication...if there is no Hunt on Oct. 9th.....This is the date that I asked off.......I cannot come on Oct. 2nd.....I AM GREATLY DISAPPOINTED..........JOE

Joe,
Yesterday I found out from Dan, that he wasn't going to have a dig on the 9th, and has scheduled a speaking engagement. He apparently has already met with the New York crew. I reminded him that I posted his Media Alert on Treasure Net , mentioning a return trip for the following weekend which is on the 9th. I told him, he should have notified me of the change. Anyway, Joe, I didn't want to tell you anything yet, because I am planning to ask permission from the landowner tomorrow if we can have another dig on the 9th without Dan. 37 acres will take more than one day to detect anyway, so please don't be greatly disappointed yet. Give me a chance to remedy this situation. I'll let you know by tomorrow evening if I was successful or not.
Moe

OP
OP
MoSi

MoSi

Jul 19, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,
No artifacts were found. Permission for return dig on the 9th was denied due to landowner's prior commitments for that day. Sorry that this didn't turn out good for you. Enjoy your day off. Hope you have a good time in Uvalde.
Moe

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......My schedule at work is very difficult to change once it is posted...due to all info given I asked to be off on the 9th....at this late date ...the work schedule has already been posted....I cannot get off on the 16th for the Uvalde Hunt...........bummer..........Joe

qkslvr

Oct 27, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD/Garrett AtPro/Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mosi, I know you are only helping Dan get the info out, but I emailed Dan 10 days ago asking about the hunt on the 9th. He never responded to my email. Given that some of us have to drive 3-4hours to make these hunts, please ask Dan to do a better job of communicating if he wants our assistance in the future. Sorry things didn't work out, guess we still have a year or two to make the bicentennial.

Wayne
TexasRelicRecoveryTeam trtt.org

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I've been to two of these digs and on one occasion we were told there were cannon balls found by the land owner. I spoke to the land owner and he had no clue what I was talking about. IMO it is a waste of time.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
So did this happen, or not?
Baggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread