A story that relates to my family property in Wilson County TX.

kd5uwg

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2011
This short story was written by a relative of mine, about the property I not only deer hunt on but do some detecting on. http://wilsoncountyhistory.org/Documents/THRICE TOLD TALES OF CREED TAYLOR.pdf This story roughly coincides with a book that I am reading called, The Feud That Wasn't: The Taylor Ring, Bill Sutton, John Wesley Hardin, and Violence in Texas (Sam Rayburn Series on Rural Life, sponsored by Texas A&M University-Commerce) There are other storys about this place that have been handed down by word of mouth in the family. I do know that in some time in the 1950's or 1960's some treasure hunters and archeologist were on the place searching for a supposed strong box buried out there. There is also the steps to an old one room school house on the property that my grandmother went to first grade in. I have not searched around the old school house yet but that is my plan for this spring/summer after deer season is over. I have relic hunted around the house and found tons of trash, but I have not had much time to spend up by the house yet, I just know that im gonna have to get thru alot of trash around the house to find anything. There is also and old dipping vat near the house that they used to dip cattle in, I really think that this will be a good area for relic hunting since the vat was in use for about 60 years. There is no telling what those old cowboys may have lost around that old vat, and since that was the only dipping vat in the county people brought cattle from all over to use it. I wish all the old property was still in my family but my Great Great grandfather had to sell some to take care of some family issues that no body still living in my family knows why. Sorry for the long read I was just getting thoughts down and am just putting up a little of my research on the property.

Sincerley
Calvin

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd come help you if interested let me know.. I'm close to Ft Worth..

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
kd5uwg said:
This short story was written by a relative of mine, about the property I not only deer hunt on but do some detecting on. http://wilsoncountyhistory.org/Documents/THRICE TOLD TALES OF CREED TAYLOR.pdf This story roughly coincides with a book that I am reading called, The Feud That Wasn't: The Taylor Ring, Bill Sutton, John Wesley Hardin, and Violence in Texas (Sam Rayburn Series on Rural Life, sponsored by Texas A&M University-Commerce) There are other storys about this place that have been handed down by word of mouth in the family. I do know that in some time in the 1950's or 1960's some treasure hunters and archeologist were on the place searching for a supposed strong box buried out there. There is also the steps to an old one room school house on the property that my grandmother went to first grade in. I have not searched around the old school house yet but that is my plan for this spring/summer after deer season is over. I have relic hunted around the house and found tons of trash, but I have not had much time to spend up by the house yet, I just know that im gonna have to get thru alot of trash around the house to find anything. There is also and old dipping vat near the house that they used to dip cattle in, I really think that this will be a good area for relic hunting since the vat was in use for about 60 years. There is no telling what those old cowboys may have lost around that old vat, and since that was the only dipping vat in the county people brought cattle from all over to use it. I wish all the old property was still in my family but my Great Great grandfather had to sell some to take care of some family issues that no body still living in my family knows why. Sorry for the long read I was just getting thoughts down and am just putting up a little of my research on the property.

Sincerley
Calvin

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Howdy Calvin..........read the story..."pretty neat, sorta like that old History stuff myself,along with Relic Hunting with either of the 4 detectors I got.

The place must be on the "Ecleto".........I am two counties over from there. Remember from all the books I have read on John Wesley Hardin and the Sutton Taylor Feud. Actually just got back from trip to Comanche where Hardin was sentenced for killing Deputy Webb. Lot of historical markers around there.....pretty interesting stuff, took a lot of pics.
The best and most informative book I have ever read on the feud is ..."The Sutton-Taylor Feud" the deadliest blood feud in Texas, by Chuck Parsons.
The best by far on Hardin is "The Last Gunfighter" by Richard Marohn........lot of new pics and research in this one.

The Feud book mentions 2 old settlements (once towns,now gone ) near your family's place Nockenut and Albuquerque, where Hardin killed Helm....sheriff of Dewitt County.
I guarantee you will like this book. Just good and interesting reading. Fellows back in those days were some pretty bad Hombres.

Deer season almost over , now you can hunt something besides Deer........Huh? Good luck and "stick with it"..!

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stickman said:
Howdy Calvin..........read the story..."pretty neat, sorta like that old History stuff myself,along with Relic Hunting with either of the 4 detectors I got.

The place must be on the "Ecleto".........I am two counties over from there. Remember from all the books I have read on John Wesley Hardin and the Sutton Taylor Feud. Actually just got back from trip to Comanche where Hardin was sentenced for killing Deputy Webb. Lot of historical markers around there.....pretty interesting stuff, took a lot of pics.
The best and most informative book I have ever read on the feud is ..."The Sutton-Taylor Feud" the deadliest blood feud in Texas, by Chuck Parsons.
The best by far on Hardin is "The Last Gunfighter" by Richard Marohn........lot of new pics and research in this one.

The Feud book mentions 2 old settlements (once towns,now gone ) near your family's place Nockenut and Albuquerque, where Hardin killed Helm....sheriff of Dewitt County.
I guarantee you will like this book. Just good and interesting reading. Fellows back in those days were some pretty bad Hombres.

Deer season almost over , now you can hunt something besides Deer........Huh? Good luck and "stick with it"..!

Stickman

Greenie
Jan 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Stickman said:
Stickman said:

OK. Calvin........ya'll may be sitting on some interesting stuff over there to find as relates to Hays and Doughboy and Creed homesite.... and the "shootout"...........!Ole Creed later moved to Junction Tx. and has texas historical markers over there...............Author of Sutton Taylor Fued is still living in Lockart Tx......had a chance to check it out??

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
I'm up in Dallas, but am always looking for new places and people to hunt with!
Baggins

OP
OP
K

kd5uwg

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2011
Stickman said:
Stickman said:
Stickman said:

OK. Calvin........ya'll may be sitting on some interesting stuff over there to find as relates to Hays and Doughboy and Creed homesite.... and the "shootout"...........!Ole Creed later moved to Junction Tx. and has texas historical markers over there...............Author of Sutton Taylor Fued is still living in Lockart Tx......had a chance to check it out??
Stickman,

No havent had a chance to do any detecting out there yet. I believe we have located the well that doughboy and his brother dumped the body down. My grandmother said that no one ever used that well, and she believes that the reason she thinks that was is because of the belief of the body. The farm hands that lived on the property would walk the 600 yards to the main house to get water from that well. Im hoping to get out there soon and detect, but I am trying to put a little more research together to have a more specific target location. I am also going to be searching around the location of the old school on the property, My grandmother doesnt think there will be much there since most everyone in the area was poor, but it should still be fun.

Calvin

Sorry I havent posted on here sooner Ive been busy.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Be careful if you dig in the vat area, most chemicals that were used back in the day are considered extremely toxic. I would think there is a lot of residue in the soil there.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Did anything ever come of this?
Baggins

OP
OP
K

kd5uwg

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2011
Sorry bout that. I havent been able to do much hunting on it yet. Been busy with work and selling and buying a house. Have found some old horse shoes and the like but havent hit it hard yet.

Calvin

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget, the Indians and then the Spanish were there long before the anglo settlers. Good hunting...

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to Union Valley,also known is Union around Pandora,there is a historical marker in the town for Albequerque.Even the website Texas Escapes mentions the town in regards to their piece on Union.Haven't been out there in ages. I believe the buildings are long gone. All that's left of Nockenut is a cemetery.
Speaking of steps to an old school?
Seem to recall going down 123 with my late father.We turned onto another paved road think it was USHwy 87,or some Farm to Market,and there was a historical marker for a school building,of which only the steps remained.The marker named the school,I think it was called the White School,however i might be wrong on that score. As I understand it John Wesley Hardin's wife was buried in the Asher cemetery in Mound Creek in the DenHawken -Gillet area.There used to be a state highway sign pointing to Mound Creek, but the last time I was down that way in 1995,the highway sign was gone. Don't know if anyone lives in the town any more. Also,there was a town named Rancho around the Guadalupe-Wilson County line were I think Hardin and his family lived.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread