Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking for a MD'ing Mentor in Texas!

Hey, everybody!
Yes, I am wanting desperately, for a MD'ing mentor. I have a Garrett Ace 250 that I am unable to figure out how to use it properly and am somewhat frustrated. I first had a White's 4000di Pro and could not learn by myself how to use it properly. So, for the last 25 years I have spot detected every now and then with minimal success. Still looking for my first silver after all these years. Been seeing all these TN posts for years and cheering you guys on but now I want to learn to find little treasures also and have something worth posting. PLEEZ help me! I live in Woodlawn, Texas which is between Marshall and Jefferson. If you live within 50-100 miles or so, I would love to get with you. Thanks a bunch.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will learn more by using the detector, buy this i mean going out and digging every signal, this is the only way to learn any machine, it's called the learning curve. For the first seven years of my detecting I hunted alone and dug everything that bleeped, eventully it got to the point were I knew what was coming from under the coil, this is when you can cherry pick your signals and ignore the trash.
It will take time and it will come, and there will always be the occasional surprise along the way.:icon_thumleft:

SS

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John, I don't live near TX but I can answer many questions. My ego is quite big but I will admit I don't know it all but will help when I can. The 250 is the most popular detector in the world. Stay with it and ask LOTS of questions here on the Tnet. MANY here will help you out. TTC

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rabajon watch Youtube videos about the ace250,watch as many as you can find,then go and bury different metal objects in your backyard and listen to the tones that each different object sounds like.This will help.:headbang:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hang in there my friend. Just stay with, and learn what the detector is telling you. You don't learn it overnight. It took me years before I got to where I could use mine confortable. Don't give up. Terry said listen to the vidios on the 250, and It will help a lot. If you dong have the CD on it call Garrett dectors, and They can get you one. It's not as hard as you would think to learn it. Pin pointing, and the sounds, and what mode to use is what you need to learn. Good luck, and Happy hunting....

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John Whitecloud does some great videos on using the Ace 250. I have an AT-Pro and when I got my wife an Ace 250 I had no idea how to teach her how to use it because they differ on a handful of a levels. I could get it to detect "metal" but I couldn't differentiate between the target material. He has a three part series and this is the first of them. I highly recommend just watching all of them and then watch his pin-pointing video. You'll be on your way in no time.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can watch as many videos as you want, but in the end it will all come down to time spent in the fields....digging. :icon_thumleft:

SS

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
rabajohn go to the Texas Forum to find local detectorists in your area. Its on the bottom of TN Forum.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me a call and I'll try to help you get up to speed. The easiest thing is to put it in jewelry mode and dig everything that beeps. To pinpoint: when you get a signal, move the coil away from the target, hold the pinpoint button down, then swing back. When the bars are full across the screen, the target should be just north of the center of the coil ( about 1-2 inches). You will dig a lot of aluminum scraps, but that is the only way to get the gold. If you only want silver and coins, hunt in the coin mode. Gold can be anywhere from one mark left of the nickel icon all the way to half dollar.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135
Spring TX

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rabajohn ... one of the best places to learn a new detector is on a dry sandy beach.
Here in Corpus Christi, Texas we have lots of that.
Come on down and stay a few days and help me clean the beahes ... I can help you with that detector.

Willee
361-563-1303

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also find a metal detecting club and join it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread