PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I am compiling a lot (A LOT) of information on the infamous Sam Bass from Denton Tx who died at Round Rock.

Does anyone have information to share regarding the guy, insights in his habits (how he thought, where he may have had hiding places, etc.)

Anyone interested in looking for the legendary stashes of Sam Bass to see if there is any validity?

Thanks,

Patrick

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really think anybody is going share their secrets ?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Get us access to Pilot Knob and I'll play... Tried a few years ago and got the infamous 'no because of liability'..

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone,

I am compiling a lot (A LOT) of information on the infamous Sam Bass from Denton Tx who died at Round Rock.

Does anyone have information to share regarding the guy, insights in his habits (how he thought, where he may have had hiding places, etc.)

Anyone interested in looking for the legendary stashes of Sam Bass to see if there is any validity?

Thanks,

Patrick

Try the Texas History Library at UT. It's online and has some information. Then the Handbook of Texas. That is online too. Then Longhorn Caverns. They love to keep the legend alive...

Last edited:

GhostlyDesigns

Greenie
Aug 14, 2011
north Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites - Prizm 6T and ancient CoinMaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know anything about Sam Bass other than what you might read on a website or in a book. With that out of the way - what I've read has lead me to believe that he was just a normal person, respectful to others and when around family or people that knew him well would be somewhat reserved or an introvert. I'm guessing that it's that type of character traits that earned him the title of "Texas' most beloved bandit". I've read of him being compared to Robin Hood but I don't remember reading of him actually helping anyone (maybe I'm not reading enough).

Sam did enjoy horse racing and had a horse or two that were a bit productive, so he most likely had a big spender attitude that typically comes with the hobby.

A question - The metal Wells Fargo strongbox that Doc Hall had, was it found in Cove Hollow and is that the reason many think one of Sam's gold caches is near Denton?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people believe he hid a lot near Denton due to living there and working for the sheriff before he got into horse racing.

TheFelderhoff

Greenie
Feb 11, 2014
Muenster, Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2, MinelabX-Terra 705, Minelab X-Terra 505, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always heard that he hid most of his stash in a cave between Era,Tx and Roston, Tx.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread