Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure if its legal to detect there...Im not from there, but I do remembering hearing that on here somewhere

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean they wouldn't appreciate me swinging a metal detector on the Alamo lawn?

haha...Right?

Whats funny is my GF and I go to San Antonio at least once a year to eat some good Mexican food...and ALL i can think about is " Whats under these sidewalks"..."Wonder how many silver coins are in the River at the Riverwalk"....

Im sure there has to be some sort of places to Detect there, I just always got the impression if you are in "City Limits" then its a no no...But again..Im in Fort Worth, so I might have the facts mixed up.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan arrellano is an Austin historian who has coordinated some group hunts to find the Medina site. None have been successful to date. Several researchers in San Antonio claim to know where the site is, but no artifacts have been recovered.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
(1)Okay, listen up. There are lots of places to detect here. Remeber that this was spanish territory for a long time and there are still relics.
(2)I had students that brought me a few things from the Battle of Medina like musket balls and a small cannonball. The kids lived in Losoya(I think)but Officially the battlesite has never been found.
(3)Casa Rio is not great Mexican food. Try Blanco Cafe by the bus station downtown or Mi Tierra in El Mercado. Of course, we(San Antonians) eat at our favorite places away from the tourists. Now, as to things from the downtown river. It gets drained and cleaned yearly in February or about that time. Restaurant silverware aplenty, but never any relics. I have found things in San Pedro Park and up the river(Brackenridge Park) or down the river south of Military Dr. Been awhile though since I have detected. Used to find stuff along the river at the Brack golf course and then trade it to the starter for free rounds of golf. All are illegal to hunt now.
(4)Parks? Some are legal, some not. Some patrolled, some not. But forget parks. Most have been gone over. Other places exist. Us old timers have our special spots. Like one old, old place where after a rain stuff from 8000 or so years ago to about 1900 turn up. I used to get there first and carry home Comanche points and spear points. Square nails, spanish spurs, gave the location of that info to a guy on this website and promised him I would not repeat it. Just a bunch here still waiting to be found. I found it, you can too.
(5) I teach History at a local college(U.S. and Texas) and for the past 55 years I have tramped all over this state. Yes there are silver veins (private property), low grade silver ore, gold in the Llano, powder or flour gold on Sandy Creek, arrowheads everywhere, spanish relics, but getting harder to find. Los Almagres Silver Mine aka the Lost Bowie Mine which is not rich ore, is filled in with the dirt from the newer shaft(Boyd Shaft) next to it and a thousand other places and things in Central and South Texas. I am 65, crippled some and really not interested in doing anything outside anymore. I am content to teach a bit, read some and hang out with my kitty. Good luck in your hunts...

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(1)Okay, listen up. There are lots of places to detect here. Remeber that this was spanish territory for a long time and there are still relics.
(2)I had students that brought me a few things from the Battle of Medina like musket balls and a small cannonball. The kids lived in Losoya(I think)but Officially the battlesite has never been found.
(3)Casa Rio is not great Mexican food. Try Blanco Cafe by the bus station downtown or Mi Tierra in El Mercado. Of course, we(San Antonians) eat at our favorite places away from the tourists. Now, as to things from the downtown river. It gets drained and cleaned yearly in February or about that time. Restaurant silverware aplenty, but never any relics. I have found things in San Pedro Park and up the river(Brackenridge Park) or down the river south of Military Dr. Been awhile though since I have detected. Used to find stuff along the river at the Brack golf course and then trade it to the starter for free rounds of golf. All are illegal to hunt now.
(4)Parks? Some are legal, some not. Some patrolled, some not. But forget parks. Most have been gone over. Other places exist. Us old timers have our special spots. Like one old, old place where after a rain stuff from 8000 or so years ago to about 1900 turn up. I used to get there first and carry home Comanche points and spear points. Square nails, spanish spurs, gave the location of that info to a guy on this website and promised him I would not repeat it. Just a bunch here still waiting to be found. I found it, you can too.
(5) I teach History at a local college(U.S. and Texas) and for the past 55 years I have tramped all over this state. Yes there are silver veins (private property), low grade silver ore, gold in the Llano, powder or flour gold on Sandy Creek, arrowheads everywhere, spanish relics, but getting harder to find. Los Almagres Silver Mine aka the Lost Bowie Mine which is not rich ore, is filled in with the dirt from the newer shaft(Boyd Shaft) next to it and a thousand other places and things in Central and South Texas. I am 65, crippled some and really not interested in doing anything outside anymore. I am content to teach a bit, read some and hang out with my kitty. Good luck in your hunts...

This is what I like about Texans that are lets say a little more seasoned, they lay it right out. Love it or leave it. Austin is right Casa Rio Is Mexican food but is meant for the tourists served in places where they are likely to never see you again. I want my food served in a place where they look at me funny for being a white boy in their place until they find out I know more than five words of Spanish. Diggin-in'dumps next time you head down San Antonio way send me a message and I will take you to a great hole in the wall for some real Mexican food.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin....You are Probally right.....Thou the only reason I go to San Antonio is to be a Tourist....So I like to do the Touristy type stuff, and stay clear of ghettos

I just moved to texas about 5 years ago....So its ALL new to me

And the reason I like Casa Rio so much is because its close to our hotel...so after 2..3...7 Margeritas...its an easy walk.

But I will definalty take any advise on GOOD Mexican food that way...Thats pretty much all we do here in north texas, is try every mexican place around to see whats legit.

OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin....You are Probally right.....
And the reason I like Casa Rio so much is because its close to our hotel...so after 2..3...7 Margeritas...its an easy walk...

I see now. I didn't realize we were using margarita logic, that makes Casa Rio one of the best places in town...or at least within crawling distance of the hotel.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what I like about Texans that are lets say a little more seasoned, they lay it right out. Love it or leave it. Austin is right Casa Rio Is Mexican food but is meant for the tourists served in places where they are likely to never see you again. I want my food served in a place where they look at me funny for being a white boy in their place until they find out I know more than five words of Spanish. Diggin-in'dumps next time you head down San Antonio way send me a message and I will take you to a great hole in the wall for some real Mexican food.

If you are from here then try Los Barrios on Blanco, Pico de Gallo on Commerce(owned by the man who owns Mi Tierra and La Margarita in El Mercado, but real mexican food), Ray's Drive Inn on 19th, Jacala on West Ave. What is your favorite? Also Piedras Negras del Noche.

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Austin....You are Probally right.....Thou the only reason I go to San Antonio is to be a Tourist....So I like to do the Touristy type stuff, and stay clear of ghettos

I just moved to texas about 5 years ago....So its ALL new to me

And the reason I like Casa Rio so much is because its close to our hotel...so after 2..3...7 Margeritas...its an easy walk.

But I will definalty take any advise on GOOD Mexican food that way...Thats pretty much all we do here in north texas, is try every mexican place around to see whats legit.

First of all, don't you have Joe T. Garcia's back home. Rumored to be about the best. Secondly, that's what taxis are for. Ride back to your hotel in style. Third, the west side is the barrio. Head north to Loop land and you're fine. Check out The Shops at La Cantera. Niemans, Tiffany--very upscale. Our ghetto is the west and east sides. North is nice. Alamo Heights, North Star Mall too. Nothing wrong with Casa Rio. Chili is an original 1800's recipe and quite good...

Last edited:
OP
OP
want2skydive

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are from here then try Los Barrios on Blanco, Pico de Gallo on Commerce(owned by the man who owns Mi Tierra and La Margarita in El Mercado, but real mexican food), Ray's Drive Inn on 19th, Jacala on West Ave. What is your favorite? Also Piedras Negras del Noche.

There is a little family owned place here on Blanco and West Ave. where the food is good and the service is great. They aren't very busy so they are grateful for customers.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a little family owned place here on Blanco and West Ave. where the food is good and the service is great. They aren't very busy so they are grateful for customers.

Thanks, I'm going to go check it out. We have so many places and I have (maybe) so little time. I am very familiar with the area and may know the place you mean. Good. bad or otherwise, I'll eat mexican food anywhere. Well, almost anywhere. Everybody raves about Rosario's in South Town, but I thought it was just average. Course I'm not the expert. I will always be in the search for the best puffy tacos...

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I ate my first Tex Mex Food at Casa Rio ( 1967 ) and have been eating there ever since. The wife and I were there 3 years ago. The River Walk never changes. I love that.

I would go far enough out into the rural areas and attempt to find the original roads / trails. Then find where these roads crossed water or springs. That is where I would focus my hunt. I know you will do well with this because once you get out of the metro area very little has changed in the little towns. I drove the back roads from Corpus to S.A. on two lanes just 3 years ago. Goliad is unchanged from my childhood. You should be successful .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread