WedgedPainter8

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been awhile since I've been to Galveston but I think the southern beaches are the most used

OP
OP
C

chisel

Mar 18, 2014
Boonsboro, Md
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks never been there so just trying to get some clue

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you come into town on 45, you can take a right at the 61st exit, right to the beach or seawall. That is just about where the beach actually ends and it extends to the east in the City. I have done well starting right there at 61st and working east. But, in all fairness the east end, Stewart Beach (if you stay on 45 it runs right into Stewart Beach), has the greatest volume of people. I have done well in the dry sand and in the water. There are usually a line of umbrellas on the dry sand where folks rent and stay. The 'cuts' ( shallow places and the first cut is the shallow area next to the beach, then about 20 yards out is a sandbar type place where the water is about knee deep, then beyond that is the 2nd cut, deeper, and then the second sandbar where it is usually about chest deep. Obviously the deeper areas may hold more lost stuff, but the easiest places to hunt are the first 2 cuts, the first sandbar and the second sandbar. I tend to like the shore edges (back edges), of the sandbars and in the cuts. Lots and lots of mommies and their little babies tend to sit in the first area of water and lose a lot of their rings right there. There are other areas but they tend to have lots of trash. San Luis Pass area has a lot of folks there and a LOT of trash, plus it is very dangerous in the cuts there. Lots of folks get drowned there every year. A few years back I think 11 were drowned there in about 3 months. Very strong current and undertows from the tides coming in and out of West Bay. A sort of secret and out of the way place is Bolivar and Chrystal beach. Take the ferry east and go a couple of miles and get off the highway to the right and drive the beach. Stay on the damp sand. You get stuck in the dry stuff.

You have to pay to park on the seawall and on Stewart, but not on Chrystal Beach.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or, you could leave your metal detector home, and volunteer your time cleaning up the beaches from the oil spill... or better yet, go to a rescue station and help clean up the birds and other wildlife that are suffering ..

OP
OP
C

chisel

Mar 18, 2014
Boonsboro, Md
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave we will be on vacation don't think that's what my family wants to do on vacation. And for info I work for the national cancer institute in Md so I do my part every day.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A person could NOT FIND any oil if they looked for months! Mostly news media BS!

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything jas415 told you is really good info.

I have personally done my best at East beach, just another couple of miles down the beach to the East.

I thought about taking a jab at Dave, I'm sure he means the best, and probably does not use gasoline, plastics or the many other things we create from this natural substance commonly called OIL.

stoprun21

Jul 15, 2014
Galveston,TX
Detector(s) used
Whites PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A person could NOT FIND any oil if they looked for months! Mostly news media BS!

Most of the oil went to Matagorda but there was some oil on Galveston beaches. I volunteered to walk the beaches with Galveston bay foundation and coast guard 5 times. Found fresh oil the first couple of trips but none after that. It was overblown by media...

stoprun21

Jul 15, 2014
Galveston,TX
Detector(s) used
Whites PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When you come into town on 45, you can take a right at the 61st exit, right to the beach or seawall. That is just about where the beach actually ends and it extends to the east in the City. I have done well starting right there at 61st and working east. But, in all fairness the east end, Stewart Beach (if you stay on 45 it runs right into Stewart Beach), has the greatest volume of people. I have done well in the dry sand and in the water. There are usually a line of umbrellas on the dry sand where folks rent and stay. The 'cuts' ( shallow places and the first cut is the shallow area next to the beach, then about 20 yards out is a sandbar type place where the water is about knee deep, then beyond that is the 2nd cut, deeper, and then the second sandbar where it is usually about chest deep. Obviously the deeper areas may hold more lost stuff, but the easiest places to hunt are the first 2 cuts, the first sandbar and the second sandbar. I tend to like the shore edges (back edges), of the sandbars and in the cuts. Lots and lots of mommies and their little babies tend to sit in the first area of water and lose a lot of their rings right there. There are other areas but they tend to have lots of trash. San Luis Pass area has a lot of folks there and a LOT of trash, plus it is very dangerous in the cuts there. Lots of folks get drowned there every year. A few years back I think 11 were drowned there in about 3 months. Very strong current and undertows from the tides coming in and out of West Bay. A sort of secret and out of the way place is Bolivar and Chrystal beach. Take the ferry east and go a couple of miles and get off the highway to the right and drive the beach. Stay on the damp sand. You get stuck in the dry stuff.

You have to pay to park on the seawall and on Stewart, but not on Chrystal Beach.

Plenty of trash on Crystal Beach also and yes you do have to pay to park there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread