Nice Talk with a Game Warden about public access ..

DaleinTexas

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2015
Parker County
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was pretty clear on what constitutes public access for a navigable water in Texas but had a chance to reaffirm my thoughts this weekend.

The Warden simplified it..

1st Question: What is considered a navigable water way (Public access)?

Anything wet or dry that has a stream bed of 30ft or more, even if its only wet seasonally or over a the course of years.

So that affirmed what is public land and accessible..

2nd Question: 50% Gradient regulation and how much of the bank is public?

The public portion is the actual stream bed wet or dry, Were to establish the gradient line, ? The current water line to the point on the bank where vegetation is growing, even if its a grass is the gradient line defined by state law, then split it at the halfway point between the current water line an the vegetation line, there you have it the public portion may very from inches to feet along the water line, but he did say without a doubt that the high water bank (historical flood zone) on a river or stream bed is not public land.

3rd Question: How is the distinguished on a dry stream bed in excess of 30ft?

He laughed a bit and said very carefully and with respect to the adjacent landowners but a safe bet would be to stay within the confines of the stream bed its self.

In all is was a great interchange of thought....

ChrisWhewell

Greenie
Mar 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher T-20; White's Coinmaster 1TRDX
Thanks for that, it sounds as if one is safe, so long as they stay in the water

thundurchasur

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2018
Hondo, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that just because you can legally be there doesn't mean that the landowner can't call the sheriff and, if they are buddies, you might end up going to jail even though they can't prosecute it. I've also heard of landowners threatening people who wouldn't leave. Just FYI.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. Enjoyed your post.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread