AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I knew today was going to be overcast..I would have been out there hitting it hard.

Where are you in the metroplex?

I'm in Ft. Worth as well. Heat and grass/weeds have been brutal so I haven't been out much.

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone detected the 20 mile stretch of the Brazos below PK dam? I use to canoe that a lot and have seen many many canoes spill.
I'd like to plan a three day trip (Fri,Sat&Sun) about the third week of Oct. most of the water is shallow, with some visibility most of the year. Weather is usually mild and most of the bugs are gone then. We can rent a canoe from Rochelle for about 60 bucks for the three days. And they carry a lot of gear for camping. It's basically a float trip where Rochell drops you off at the Dam and you float down to the take out point where they pick you up. I'm in my 60' but still very active but I do cheat a little like renting a stern back canoe and bring a good trolling motor. There is plenty to plan this. Any takers?

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone detected the 20 mile stretch of the Brazos below PK dam? I use to canoe that a lot and have seen many many canoes spill.
I'd like to plan a three day trip (Fri,Sat&Sun) about the third week of Oct. most of the water is shallow, with some visibility most of the year. Weather is usually mild and most of the bugs are gone then. We can rent a canoe from Rochelle for about 60 bucks for the three days. And they carry a lot of gear for camping. It's basically a float trip where Rochell drops you off at the Dam and you float down to the take out point where they pick you up. I'm in my 60' but still very active but I do cheat a little like renting a stern back canoe and bring a good trolling motor. There is plenty to plan this. Any takers?

I would totally be down for that! My hunting buddy pretty much retired (married) so Im down for finding anyone interested in getting out. October is a bad month for me, I travel for work and that is one of the crazy months, but I have some camping gear and would love to do a long weekend hunt.

MJWADE

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2017
DFW TEXAS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT GOLD WHITES MXT ALL PRO TESORO SAND SHARK FALCON MD 20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have metal detected that area several times with my kayak and at gold , the 20 mile run about 3 times when the river was running good and temps in the low 80's there is no turning around or getting off mega hot this time of year paddling against the wind. found very little change a few sinkers old metal. but lots of petrified wood in fact i found a brown agate piece of petrified wood about 2 inches thick and 4 inches across pretty cool. water mocassins will be every where probably get in the canoe with ya!!! have fun no cell phone coverage

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have canoed that 20 miles quite a bit. Usually around the third week of Oct or the third week of April. Never in the hot summer. I have seen very very few snakes that time of year. I've done that trip in small and large groups.. your right about the wind especially in Oct can be brutal, that why I like to rent the stern back and bring a 30 lb thrust trolling and a good deep cycle battery which will do the whole trip. This has been rather warm this summer but I've always found the weather mild to cool that time of year in Oct.. there are thousands of places to hunt I'm surprised you didn't find much..(maybe it's been hunted more than I thought)
I know the river pretty well and I really don't want the water up. There are some really great areas to hunt when the water is slow, especially the few small shoots where I've seen many canoes tip over. There are camping areas all over the place. The ones I'm interested in are the ones that can accommodate large crowds. Most all those have great swimming areas that have been used thousands and thousands of times. I can't imagine not finding anything in those areas. I always call my wife when I get on the river but you can't do that from a lot of places but there are places where the reception is fair. I have AT&T lite which seems to work well on the river in a few places.

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Rochelle landing will be closed at the end of Oct. I don't own a canoe so doing that later or after Oct might be a problem. Any earlier it's too warm and the bugs can be bad. I have also been traveling, mostly to Houston where I'm building a skilled nursing center which is scheduled to be completed in Nov. I'm sure we can find some common ground and work something out. Only way to do that is start talking about. I use to go MD'ng with a friend of mind but his knees won't let him anymore. I guess I could say he retired.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Rochelle landing will be closed at the end of Oct. I don't own a canoe so doing that later or after Oct might be a problem. Any earlier it's too warm and the bugs can be bad. I have also been traveling, mostly to Houston where I'm building a skilled nursing center which is scheduled to be completed in Nov. I'm sure we can find some common ground and work something out. Only way to do that is start talking about. I use to go MD'ng with a friend of mind but his knees won't let him anymore. I guess I could say he retired.

Im down with that! lets get something going.

Im gonna be hunting one of the lakes tomorrow morning if you are interested.

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got in town from Houston. Have to work at the office tomorrow. Sunday I'm leaving to go back down there. I'm staying through next weekend but plan on hitting some areas on Galveston Island next weekend. That's Not as exciting as itI would like it to be. I find a lot of clad. Coins don't fair well in saltwater. It's mostly pocket change but I have found interesting items and a little jewelry.
I'm serious about doing the Brazos maybe we can plan on an April excursion. I'm sure between now and then our schedules will allow us some time to plan some other hunts together. Don't give up on me I enjoy doing this. My office is in FtWorth and I live in Azle so we're not far apart that ought to make it a little easier to plan something.

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if your planning anything the weekend after that. Just give me another heads up and I'll see I can free up that that day.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you guys ever get the trip put together???

Nope, nothing ever panned out..but with it starting to warm up..I would love to plan out something for the next couple months

Walter65

Jun 8, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man I wish I didn't read that. I'm stuck in Houston and I want to get out so bad if you know what I mean. Guess I'll hammer out this lot I found across from a bar. Lot and lots of targets all clad so far

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of getting out to Lake Grandbury next Sat. Morning.. the beach is all sandy and easy to dig. Plus you can get there before the sun comes up to hunt because the street lights light up the beach.

Ive found something pretty much everytime I've gone.

pick1840

Greenie
Sep 20, 2017
Sherman/Pottsboro, TX
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near lake Texoma and just got the AT Max not to long ago. I've been out a few times but the lake has been so high the beach is almost covered. I'm in search of a used/not so expensive sand scoop with a longer handle if anyone has a extra they would like to part with. I'd also like to meet up with other experienced water hunters to gain knowledge, I'm willing to travel so just let me know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread