Treasure Hunt in Helena, Tx.

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Hi if anyone is interested in joining in on a Treasure Hunt for our local Historical Society Please contact me for Details....The Hunt will take place in Helena, Texas on Oct. 27- 2007 @ The original county courthouse property, all objects found will be placed in the Museum which is located in the courthouse on the property for everyone to enjoy, all items found on the property will become the property of the Karnes County Historical Society of the County of Karnes.

Contact Info.
[email protected]

Sincerely:
David Cooksey

Attachments

• helena.jpg
    helena.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 781

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Sounds like fun...how far is that from Dallas?
Baggins

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Helena has some interesting history.
Helena is a Texas ghost town located approximately 70 miles southeast of San Antonio in Karnes County, Texas, United States. Once the seat of Karnes County, Helena was once known as the self-proclaimed "toughest town on earth" in the mid-1800s. It was also the birthplace of the Helena Duel in which the left hands of two opponents are tied together with buckskin and each fighter is given a knife with a three-inch blade. The weapon was too short to reach a vital organ or cause a single fatal stab. After the combatants were whirled around a few times, they slashed away at each other until one bled to death from the accumulation of cuts and stabs. Crowds of blood thirsty spectators viewed this gory, gruesome spectacle and even bet on the outcome.

Helena is now a ghost town, allegedly thanks to one father's grief over the town that killed his son. William G. Butler, a wealthy rancher, arranged for the railroad to be built 7 miles away from Helena and the town quickly died. William's son was killed by a stray bullet from a bar fight.

When it gets a little closer I will see if I can work it out time wise. Could find some real interesting stuff there and I would have no problem taking a pic and handing it over.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Texas Coin Hunter said:
Hi if anyone is interested in joining in on a Treasure Hunt for our local Historical Society Please contact me for Details....The Hunt will take place in Helena, Texas on Oct. 27- 2007 @ The original county courthouse property, all objects found will be placed in the Museum which is located in the courthouse on the property for everyone to enjoy, all items found on the property will become the property of the Karnes County Historical Society of the County of Karnes.

Contact Info.
[email protected]

Sincerely:
David Cooksey

that a monday? unless I'm looking at my calendar wrong.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Why couldn't this hunt be held on a Saturday instead of a Monday. Alot of us have commitments and have to keep them. Seems like there would be more volunteers if this was held on a Saturday instead of Monday. Sure would like to make this hunt but I take and pick up my Grandsons to school and just can't make it. Thanks, John

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Posted Aug 29, 2007, 10:57:02 AM

Helena, Texas on Oct. 27- 2007

Sounded like a great hunt though.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Thanks Shaw, hadn't even noticed the year, talk about feeling like a dumb A$$.....

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
TexasDigger1 said:
Thanks Shaw, hadn't even noticed the year, talk about feeling like a dumb A$$.....

Nah, I do a lot more dumba$$ things than that trust me. ;D

To bad though, I wonder how it went.

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
Shaw said:
Posted Aug 29, 2007, 10:57:02 AM

Helena, Texas on Oct. 27- 2007

Sounded like a great hunt though.

hm...wonder why it showed at the top of the topics....good catch J!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions