RE: Benbrook Lake...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Headed towards Lake Benbrook too late this morning, nothing but black clouds in that direction so made U-turn and went to Lake Whitney for only about an hour. Nothing even kind of spectacular to report. I cut it short because I was really in the area to visit in-laws. I really want to hit a couple spots at Benbrook before the levels come up, if not too late already, I may go check tomorrow. Truck is still loaded and ready.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think after the much needed rain today we are gonna be out of luck in the coming week. I had some places picked out to go to on my days off but now its not the heat its the wetness. We need a happy medium. Perhaps its will be a good day on Monday to go somewhere, anywhere really.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hunted Lake Benbrook for a couple hours today. Water was lower than I thought it would be in my hot spot so hopes were high. Found enough change for a battery and a honeybun, enough to hunt another day... Not one piece of jewelry, but fishing lures sure can look like dangly earrings! Weather was cool with slight breeze. Left gear in truck so might hit another shore one afternoon this week, maybe Longhorn or walk down to the school.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was bummed for one with all the rain because on one hand we needed it on the other I could not do any yard work or go metal detecting on my days off. However, we did go through the creek bed behind our house and found a significant amount of fossils because of the washout. I will try to post some pictures later of those because the creek is a tributary to Benbrook Lake.

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW, heads up on metal detecting around the lake. Unfortunately, I went to the lake office on Monday to ask about a permit for metal detecting. I ended up talking to Jason or Jay after talking to the lady at the front desk (I think her name was Cheryl). Anyhow, they had me sign a piece of paper that basically has the same information related on the website for the ACoE. Basically, Jason or Jay told me I have to have it on me at all times and can only metal detect in the specific areas noted on the paper. I asked him about the permit for the unmaintained areas that is noted on the website to contact the district engineer. And his statement was that 'they deferred that to him' and there will be no other areas around the lake that are permissible to metal detect except what is mentioned in the paperwork'. I got home after going to Mustang Creek for a while that's another story. But I thought about it and I am still going to write the district engineer and ask for permission. There should be no reason not to be able to metal detect some of these sites. I asked him about some of the sites, and he played it off as the ACoE doesn't advertise that those sites are there, but he knows about them and really would not tell me anything about them other than some of them are old homestead sites from before the lake was built. Overall, I feel that I did the right thing by inquiring for a permit though not getting the permit which was referred by the website because the rules read that you do not need one for doing the maintained park and beach areas but the lake office wants you to have one regardless of that information. As for the non-maintained areas not being permissible I think that is 'BS' why would it be on there that you have to contact the district engineer for a permit. I would think so not everyone is coming out there and digging everywhere or not following proper procedures and to have a record of who is recovering stuff around the lake.

Anyhow, I stopped and asked the gate keeper at Mustang Creek Park about if they were the ones off to the side on Winscott with the RVs, vehicles, garden, etc. (which btw is on Army Corps land), and she stated 'yes'. So I asked if it would be possible in the future if I could park on the side of the road and pass through to a site north of where she is set up through the woods. Keep in mind I already showed her my yearly pass so its not to get around a gate fee or anything. She told me 'No'. Okay, I left it at that and told her that's fine I will just go inside the park and hike through the woods to it. I told her about the railroad that use to run through the creek right there and such and she had no clue to anything about the lake history. Basically, she gave me the impression they are squatting on government land and are working as contract gate keepers because they have nothing else to do right there. Really?

All and all not a good day for asking people for anything even though I am trying to do the right thing and play by the rules. I went to the beach area and just found a bunch of trash...was just too hot. So I came back by the front and scouted out the old railway bridge 'built in 1929' I got pictures I will post later...but I believe most of it does not sit on government land due to the fallen fence next too it. The creek bed is almost dry right now so its easy to cross over, and I got a good look at both sides...may attempt a quick MD of the area in the next few weeks of the creek bed and area that is on the other side of the fence. I did go down the opposite way of the creek bed and found some nice ammonite fossils. I will post some pictures of those as well. Good Luck in your hunts just be careful!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yah I went through similar years ago with about the same results. Now I just don't ask, don't tell, and go wherever I feel like. Been going there for many years and never once seen anyone patrolling on land or water. Only see gate people and the guys that run the pay to camp locations. Been all around the lake, driving, hiking, biking, boating to detecting locations, always detecting in the open, never trying to hide. IF anyone ever hassles me I will play dumb, show bag of trash and move on. I can't see them being hard asses about it really, worst case they make me leave. Life is too short for me to worry about busy bodies. Not supposed to pick up fossils, artifacts or carry guns either at the lake... oh well. These days my biggest concern is posting location of finds or even telling stories. This forum has enough evidence to pin us all to the wall!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I went through similar years ago with about the same results. Now I just don't ask, don't tell, and go wherever I feel like. Been going there for many years and never once seen anyone patrolling on land or water. Only see gate people and the guys that run the pay to camp locations. Been all around the lake, driving, hiking, biking, boating to detecting locations, always detecting in the open, never trying to hide. IF anyone ever hassles me I will play dumb, show bag of trash and move on. I can't see them being hard asses about it really, worst case they make me leave. Life is too short for me to worry about busy bodies. Not supposed to pick up fossils, artifacts or carry guns either at the lake... oh well. These days my biggest concern is posting location of finds or even telling stories. This forum has enough evidence to pin us all to the wall!

ive learned that if people aren’t really sure...they just tell you know. If nothing is posted in an area, I’m hunting it

OP
OP
K

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a busy few weeks...went MIA with the start of the school year and work, etc. I am hoping now that we have some cooler weather to get out soon if the rain will hold off a few days to avoid the mud. Hope everyone is doing well...any recent goodies/finds?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Been working on WAY too many projects lately. Clearing some of 5 acres that at one time was out front of an old farm house so I plan to detect there when done. Working on boat, clearing land, hitting sales and selling... my only treasures from the last month or so have been from estate sales.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working on WAY too many projects lately. Clearing some of 5 acres that at one time was out front of an old farm house so I plan to detect there when done. Working on boat, clearing land, hitting sales and selling... my only treasures from the last month or so have been from estate sales.

wow! 5 acres. That outta be some fun hunting when it cools down!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread