New to Metal Detecting! Galveston/Pasadena/Houston area

drew2kew

Sep 15, 2007
Galveston/Pasadena/Houston
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Hi guys, My name is Drew and I am new to all of this, but I find it so fascinating. Ever since I was young, about 3 years old. I would remember I would always dig my hands between couche cushions, look under vending machines, and even search under outside stairs for trinkets and money and more! I love searching for things. I just got a bounty hunter sharpshooter 2 and might invest in something more technical once i get a hang of things. I was wondering if anyone knows any good places around pasadena or galveston area and wants to go searching? ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Welcome to Tnet Drew! Galveston has a host of historical places...always wanted to hunt there....google the history and see what you can find! Good Luck and hope to see some of your finds soon!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I,d go to beaumont where the hurrican just blew, in or sanlouis pass and check the inner dunes, they are older and were reformed during hurrican alicia and b-4. There were many shipwrecks in the pass there and likely stuff scattered everywhere, stay out of the current there though as you probaly know It is deadly.

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
I,m still pretty new to this hobby too. Beaches are plenty, don,t overlook parks most towns allow MD'ing but ask first.
Don't miss the Bounty Hunter forum on this site.
Good hunting,
Ron

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Hi Drew here a list of places you can hunt:

Old Schools City Parks
City Parks Old Churches
Old Home sites Picnic Areas
Swimming Areas Athletic Fields
Rodeo Arenas Campgrounds
Ghost Towns Beaches
Roadside Parks Sidewalk Grassy Areas
Rural Mailbox Reunion Areas
Revival Sites Old Fort Sites
Fishing Spots Old Barns
Flea Markets Roadside Fruit Stands
Old Drive Inns Old Motels Sites
Town Squares Rural Dancing Sites
Historical Markers Old Gas Stations & Gen. Stores
Playgrounds Clothes Lines
Old Houses & Structures Fairgrounds

But always remember to ask for permission to hunt 1st,
i try to get something written out on a piece of paper
with at least the owners signature stateing it's OK, some
of the owners or administrators for the properties will
say shure & some will say NO, please do not get discuraged
by the ones who say NO. You need todo your homework
prior to hunting, like try too find out how old a certain area
is like your city park, churches, fairground area is, that will
give you a idea of how old a coin can be there.

Hear is a Permission Slip which was found on the Internet:

I recommend getting written permission every time you hunt on private property and especially if the land owner questions liability if you hurt yourself. I am not a lawyer but it seems to me that the following forms should meet your needs. You keep the top one and give the bottom one to the landowner.

Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property

I, ________________________________________ agree to allow (type your name and address), to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins, and other artifacts located on my property at __________________________________________. It is understood that recovery includes the digging of small holes which will be repaired as nearly as possible to the original condition. This permission shall remain in effect until such time that I revoke it in writing.

___________________________ ________________
Property Owner Date

Liability Waiver Form

In consideration of permission to use a metal detector to search for and recover buried relics, coins and other artifacts on the property located at _________________________________and owned by ________________________________. I, (type your name), agree to release from all liability for personal injury or property damage that I may suffer as a result of the owners negligence while on the owners property only during the period and at the time of such search. This release shall be binding and forever discharge __________________________________ , his/her heirs, executors, and administrators, from all actions, causes of action, claims and demands for, upon, or by reason of any damage , loss, injury, or suffering which I may sustain while engaged in metal detecting on the owners property.

_____________________________ _________________
(type your name & address) Date

Drew highlight the Permission Slip & copy & paste into Word Pad and save it
so you can print it out, i make 2 copies the landowner gets 1 & i keep 1 in a
3 ring binder, just incase someone comes up & says you goto go, you present them w/ a permission slip from the landowner or they call the law on you, then your covered, since both parties have signed it....the LANDOWNER & YOU.

Sincerely
~Dave~ <Tnet> Texas Coin Hunter

OP
OP
drew2kew

drew2kew

Sep 15, 2007
Detector(s) used
what about metal detecting after it rains? its been raining for like 1 hour in pasadena buts its like super sunny now. and dry. softer ground i think no?? or does it mess with your sensors?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Some say it will actually make the targets show better due to the leaching out of the metals into the soil. What have you found so far?? Oh yea!!! just remmebered I have seen folks hunting on ellington field out front of the main entrance there used to be alot of barracks there. now just open field.

OP
OP
drew2kew

drew2kew

Sep 15, 2007
Detector(s) used
i live like 3 minutes from ellington. wooo! well i have tried galveston beach...its a son of gun metal detecting down there. like theres metal all up in everything. but i dug and dug. i found a few coins and cans and can tabs. it was exciting though. then i went to my old town and hunted this field where they held a carnival annually every year for like 15 years. i got there and it was really dark and i had no flashlight....BUT bUT! i still found a few coins. if i had a flashlight, i would have found alot of stuff. i need more practice. i will gather everything i found my first month and post it. i keep everything in one of those purple clothe crown royal bags. heh. except the cans and pull tabs ;D

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Hey Drew,what's up? I also live right in Pasadena/Houston area, we live about 10 minutes away from you
it sounds like. As soon as I save my pennies up,I plan to buy an Excalibur 1000 and hit the beach.
I have a ton of bills kicking my a*% right now..but I really want to get into this with a top dog detector.

Maybe I can find me some gold that will pay for the detector :P

Shoot me a message sometime.
l8r

smhead

Greenie
Oct 12, 2004
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drew2kew said:
i live like 3 minutes from ellington. wooo!

They have always said Ellington is hunted out, but I find silver there occasionally, usually pretty deep. Its a great learning place too because it is filled with a ton of junk from when they razed all the buildings and barracks. I use it for getting a quick fix and usually find at least something interesting. Search the north side, especially if you are standing about 3 blocks away from the big NASA hangar where they keep the WB-57F and to the north of where they park the Guppy when it is here. There's also a semi-circular dive that used to have a flagpole when it was an AFB, all around that area was barracks and buildings, I've found silver there recently, but you have to listen for the faint signals, its deep. Fill your holes there, they keep it nice and mowed for you, least you can do is fill your holes.

Where all the new general aviation hangars are, that used to be the central part of the old airfield just after WWI. When they were digging there and you could access the great piles of dirt, it was good. Keep your eyes out for any construction there and hit the dirt piles if you see them. A lot of new things are going in there, offering some prime opportunities to find at least some silver change, but once there's a hangar or office building there, its gone for ages.

Just don't get too discouraged there, there are loads of old iron pipe, shards of metal buildings and miscellaneous junk. But there are some good things to be found as well.

Scott
Friendswood

Daniel3839

Apr 3, 2012
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Garrett Ace 350
Etrac
AT Pro
Compass XP Pro
Whites 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i live like 3 minutes from ellington. wooo! well i have tried galveston beach...its a son of gun metal detecting down there. like theres metal all up in everything. but i dug and dug. i found a few coins and cans and can tabs. it was exciting though. then i went to my old town and hunted this field where they held a carnival annually every year for like 15 years. i got there and it was really dark and i had no flashlight....BUT bUT! i still found a few coins. if i had a flashlight, i would have found alot of stuff. i need more practice. i will gather everything i found my first month and post it. i keep everything in one of those purple clothe crown royal bags. heh. except the cans and pull tabs ;D

Where is this field? Houston?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions