New to San Antonio, where to go detecting?

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I’m new to the San Antonio area and have no idea where it’s actually legal to get metal detecting. Based on all the crazy laws I was thinking that some of the smaller cities within San Antonio and outside of San Antonio would be good for detecting while I wait for my pro permit. I also have a friend with private land on the Medina river who says I can go detecting there whenever I want. He has about 40 acres of land.

I live on the south side of San Antonio and was wondering about places like China grove and Pleasanton. Are these good places to detect?

I have the day off tomorrow and really want to go detecting somewhere. My minelab got stolen recently and I just got a crappy bounty hunter off craigslist for $20 to mess around with until I can save up for a Bounty hunter LRP or a Fisher F22. But if anybody is available to show me a place to go detecting tomorrow I would be forever in your debt. Lol. Or if you just have any suggestions for where I should go (I’m willing to drive about 30 miles) that would be very appreciated.

So far I love Texas. I left California because of the cost of living and the gun laws and couldn’t be happier. I had no idea that the metal detecting laws would be so strict over here. It’s mind boggling because everybody tells me “welcome to the land of the free” out here. But the regulations out here are apparantly a 180 degree turn from what I’m used to.

Well, thanks in advance!

SpencerK

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi SpencerK welcome to San Antonio!:hello2: I’d prefer Pleasanton as a better place to hunt because of china groves sparse and recent growing population. Sorry to hear about your minelab. Detecting laws are strict here but mostly for city properties that require a permit to MD. I usually detect in the Schertz and I-10 area because new suburbs are being built over old farms up here. Good hunting and good luck:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip! I’m ordering a bounty hunter LRP soon so I will be good to go. Pleasanton isn’t too far away is it? Haven’t actually been out there yet.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the tip! I’m ordering a bounty hunter LRP soon so I will be good to go. Pleasanton isn’t too far away is it? Haven’t actually been out there yet.
From W Petaluma Blvd 78221 it is a 28 mi 30 minute drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that’s perfect! I’m going to head out that way tomorrow. Should I be looking for any specific parks or anything?

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From W Petaluma Blvd 78221 it is a 28 mi 30 minute drive.
No. I would detect alongside the river where ever it is convenient. For what I know as far as park rules go they re not as strict in smaller cities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found all 42lbs. Plus another 18. Lol