The Battle Of Medina - an invitation to solve a mystery!

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This post is a good example of how archaeologists and metal detectorists can work together to solve the mysteries of our past.

It all started in late December 2007... I was chatting with a Texas archaeologist, and he was expressing his amazement that the location of the Battle of Medina has never been located/confirmed.

I posted some rough info here: 1300 or so died in the battle; there are mass graves; and most certainly relics to be found; most likely on ranch or farm land, etc.

I decided to do a little more research on this, and asked fellow San Antonians / Texans to join me on a hunt. I would do the footwork, the research, and try to gain permission.

... well, shortly after that, I received (and reposted) this press release from Austin Community College and Dan Arellano, Author of Tejano Roots....

The “Battle of Medina” Archeological dig.

On Saturday January 26, 2008 the volunteers for this research will assemble at 8:30 A.M., at the N.West intersection of Hi 281 South at 1604 at the Shell-McDonalds station south of San Antonio. From there we will be led to a private ranch where it has been rumored that artifacts have been discovered identifying this area as the possible location of the Battle of Medina. The team will be led by Dr Andres Tijerina Ph.D. Texas History Professor at Austin Community College and Dan Arellano, Author of Tejano Roots. Amateur and Professional Historians are invited to participate in this historical event.

It is an isolated location and volunteers are asked to bring their own lunch and water. Bring your metal detectors and shovels.

The Battle of Medina was the biggest and bloodiest battle ever fought on Texas soil. Over a thousand Tejanos sacrificed their lives for freedom and democracy that to this day remain unknown and unrecognized for their ultimate sacrifice.

Dan Arellano

---------

...and TreasureNet members responded as follows....

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Count me in. I live in La Vernia just outside SAT and I'd be glad to join you. I was discussing this topic with another t-netter and he knows where the battlefield location is. I'm not sure how large the battlefield area was but he knows the general vicinity. PM me if you'd like to discuss it more or do some t'hunting around San Antonio.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Having lived in Uvalde,which is just west of Hondo,I have been thru Bandera and Medina.It was before my treasure days,however.as I was still bass fishing at that time.But I can certainally turn you on to some great Mexican food in Uvalde.Of course the Oasis on Medina Lake I understand is also very nice.I would possibly be very interested in joining/helping with this venture.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
OHHH Im in, when? and of course where? As a Texan I am embarresed not to have heard of this till now.
Id be honored to help, Albert

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Sounds good! Keep us Posted! A little good will with the archies can't hurt either.
Ron

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi Marc here is a link to the
Newspaper there in Uvalde, Tx. 78802
Phone Number: 1-830-278-3335
Fax Nuber: 1-830-278-9191

The Uvalde Leader-News
110 No. East St.
Uvalde, Texas 78802

http://www.uvaldeleadernews.com/

i had a great uncle in Batesville, Tx.
when i was a kid who we visited

I hope this Info. helps in the Quest
in locateing that battlefield

Marc I have also located a link which might help you
http://www.tejanoroots.org/index.html
http://www.presidiolabahia.org/early_history.htm
http://www.tejanoroots.org/family_legend.htm
http://www.tejanoahp.org/news/news0705.htm
Book Reference link: http://worldcat.org/wcpa/ow/daf40f35663b72f4a19afeb4da09e526.html
http://www.co.bexar.tx.us/historic/SE/se.htm view #6
http://www.presidiolabahia.org/texas_revolution.htm

TreasureHunter

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
i sure would like to go but new jersey is to far away from you for me to drive but here is some info for you Commemoration of 193rd Anniversary of the Battle of Medina

Date/Time: 8/19/2006 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Near Espey, Atascosa Co., TX, vicinity of Pleasanton
Explicit directional map can be provided
Espey and Pleasanton, Texas 78064
Cost: None
Contact: Wm. Hightower Chapter, TX Society, Sons of the Am. Rev.
281-922-1118 (Tom Green), 512-392-2097 (Joe Cox)
[email protected] (Green). [email protected] (Cox)

maybe you can call the number and someone there can help good luck!!

Dig'n Bandera

Jul 9, 2007
Lakehills, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and my old BH Prospector DX as a backup!
As TXBLUZMAN stated, we've talked about trying to hunt this area. X-Terra50_TreasureHunter pretty well covered all of the information that I had on the possible site. There is a public school in the near vicinity of where the battle probably took place. All of the other land is largely divided according to tax records. Marc, I'd love to join you on this one. Let me know what I can do to help.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
You are more than welcome to come and bring your equipment. We will be departing at 8;30 A.M. from the Shell station at 1604 and Hi 281 south to the site which is about ten minutes from there. Loop 1604 circles San Antonio so depending from where you are coming you have to get to the southside. I will have my cell with me 512-826-7569

Dan
quick replyI think I'm gonna go

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
VERY VERY COOL! I hope you can take pics, and use a GPS! Keep us posted!

If there's anyway I can make it, I will be there too! (but it's not that likely that I will be able to :() I will try.... sounds like a GREAT project!

Marc

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Best I can find out so far is all finds go to the property owner/owners (?), but documented by Mr. Arellano. About 30 will be in attendance weather permitting, I dont know how many are experienced detectorist.
May not have to do any digging though.
I am unsure at this time to the real possibility of finding the grave sight.(or the Texas Historical gods and godesses real intrest)
Any one wants to P.M. me I will be glad to give my Cell and we can talk about it, or just Call Mr. Arello yourselves, he is quite excited about the historical significance, and the adventure, as am I.
At this time, weather permitting (colds O.k with me just no rain Ice or snow)I'm still in.
T.C.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I just emailed him. Waiting for a response. Do they have enough volunteers or will they allow more people to go? I'm in if they let me go.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I'm in! See you at the Shell/McDonalds @ 0830 on 1/26/08.

If you need directions or if the out of town guys want to meet up and ride together pm me.

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
I'm in. Hopefully I'll see you all there:

You are more than welcome to attend. There will be a sign up sheet
requesting contact information a hold harmless agreement, in case of
accidents and a confidential agreement meaning if we find artificats
you
will keep the location confidential.Hope to see you there.Bring lunch
and