Railroads

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I've got a question(s) for the masses. What's the benefit of searching the path of old rail roads? Is there a benefit? Would you actually walk down the path where the track used to be and search that? I work with a guy who's brother-in-law owns some land that has an old RR bridge over a creek on his property. The RR was pulled up in the 40's but the bridge is still in tact. The RR ran across the majority of his property and goes on to the adjacent property, etc etc. Any idea on the benefits, if any, of searching this area? I thought it might be good to search the creek under the bridge if it isn't too deep.

Any and all ideas on old RR line searching would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
There would have been a camp somewhere near the bridge that was used while building it. Other than that you would have to try to locate camps where the workers stayed the night. Find them and find relics. Good Luck!

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I hunted an old rail road bed that runs through Crown point IN. last year. It was turned into a walk path but the RR bed was raised so it was easy to follow. The biggest problem I had was the iron ore they used to set the bed. Drove my 250 nuts. If you have a manual ground balance machine then it my be worth checking out. Now that i have a Tesoro cortez, I will probably go back and check out the area again. The other thing is finding the camps. Good luck. TMAN...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread