up to 3 feet and modifications

Lires

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2008
Hello treasure net forum members. I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions in regards to modifying a metal detector.

1. Can you tell me which metal detector offers a deeper range up to 3 feet? I am looking for an iron or copper box, approximately 5 x 10 inches in hard and occasionally with small stones soil. The box contains gold coins.

Someone suggested a White’s MXT as a good detector, but it cannot search in such depth. Also, the TM 808, which supposedly can reach deeper.

2. Do you know if it is possible to modify this or any other metal detector to search deeper than the depth range set by the manufacturer?

3. Are there any electrical engineers who can modify metal detectors?

4. Are there any (military) mine detectors, which can search deeper than the commercial metal detectors?

5. Are there any metal detectors, which can locate a metal (iron) box and give a different signal for the contents (gold)?

Thank you in advance for the information.
‘Lires’

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on a large Metal Box or Box-O-Metal you can get 3 Feet using a Minelab Sovereign
With a 15" WOT Coil.
I can get a 12 oz Beer Can at close to that.

I'm sure any Top of the line detector will work
as long as you don't turn discriminate above minimum
or if you use all metal.

no 2 Box or Fancy Expensive Doo-Dads Needed

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
three of Many pulled out arm's length or deeper

Photo2001.jpg

Photo001.jpg

Photo3001.jpg

pushback

Greenie
Nov 13, 2004
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
fisher 1270
I agree with Tin Nugget; a 2-box unit is the only thing on the market (with the exception of dowsers???) that are designed for large and deep metal items.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Jeff of PA...how in the heck did those beer cans get that deep? I often wonder how things end up where they are.

If you want to find something at 3' then get a two-box machine. A regular detector might find it but I wouldn't take a chance if you know about where this chest is. If you spend the $$ on a two box and you find the chest, then the cost will be worth it right?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXBLUZMAN ;
build up of over 50 years of silt from farm fields
in the bottom of a lake.

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II
nice looking cones, those look nicer than the ones i used to find back in the 70s!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread