Target Of Repeated Attacks

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
Crockett County

Target Of Repeated Attacks

Howard’s Well or Howard’s Spring? I believe this one went by either name. It was a stage stop on the Southern Overland Mail Route. It was an important location for those traveling thru the region due to a lack of good drinking water. The Kiowa considered this their land and attacked the station and burnt it down around 1861. A second one was then built to continue operations. In 1872, the Kiowa’s destroyed a wagon train, killing about 18 people before the army put a stop to their attacks. The site is said to be 22 miles south of Interstate 10, west of Ozona, Texas.

Crockett County was pretty barren judging by this 1895 map, few towns existed even then. The second stage station was built in the early 1860's, after the first was burnt down during an Indian attack. The old wall is believed to have been from a corral at one time.

Attachments

• repeated attacks a.jpg
    repeated attacks a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 677
  • repeated attacks.jpg
    repeated attacks.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 670
  • repeated attacks b.jpg
    repeated attacks b.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 668

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Very Cool, I have been around the Ozona area a few times on my way to El Paso.

Wish I would have snooped around - Ya never know!

OP
OP
Montana Fireball

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
lastleg said:
Did you say Kiowa? Do you have a reliable source for additional info?
You could look around on the internet if you wish several tribes were in the region. That is like the big Cherokee treasure in Illinois, not their native land but it was buried during the forced march.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I was thinking maybe Commanches, the most feared tribe to early Texas
settlers, or Apache who were around the area until forced westward. But
Kiowas could have been present too. It's just a theory I was unaware of.
I did know the Cherokee Nation in the Southest was driven to Indian Territory
courtesy of Andrew Jackson but I hadn't heard of the Illinois cache. Sounds
interesting.

OP
OP
Montana Fireball

Montana Fireball

Apr 8, 2008
I made a phone call about the Kiowa question down to Texas yesterday. They stated very possible and added the only ones 100% sure of who was attacking ussally ended up dead as a result of it. They also said very little records were kept on some of these issues. If it was an Indian attack few single Indians folks came across were safe. Like the old saying use to go.....

killer_squirrel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2008
I'm sure the indians felt the same way about settlers when it comes to old sayings. Kiowa, Comanche or Apache would be my guess and possibly Tonkawa.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
It would be interesting to research the movements of the Tonks. They were first
to welcome the the European tourists to Texas. BBQ'd Spaniards were a delicacy
or so it is rumored.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Hi yall: As a Tennesseean in Texas and a history buffI have a pretty straight line on the Trail of Tears and the tragedy that happened to the 5 major southeastern tribes. Two routes were used for removal of the Cherokee tribe, a land route and one by water using the Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi rivers. The land route was more or less a straight shot from east Tennessee to western Arkansas. The river route of course followed the Tennessee river from east Tennessee into what is now Alabama, cut back into Tennessee at the Northeast corner of the present day state of Mississippi at Yellow creek, and went north through western Tennessee and western Kentucky. The Tennessee river then flowed into the Ohio river on the northern border of western Kentucky. The Ohio flowed west to the Mississippi, and then the water route went south until the Indians went ashore at the same point that the land route did on the west bank of the Mississippi river. I guess it is evident that the only point where the Cherokee's came close Illnois is on the Ohio river section of this journey. I have never heard of any treasure asscoiated with this forced removal, but however unlikely, it is possiple to have occoured, just not on the land route. Just some FYI.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I was also dubious about an Indian removal in Indiana but it is true. You can find
all about it on "Bloody Bill Anderson" website on Yahoo. I don't know how to zip
that bite to you but if you PM me with your E-mail address i can forward it after a
short search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread