I may go visit in the next few weeks sometime

Attachments

• battle_sabine_pass_1863.jpg
    battle_sabine_pass_1863.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 831

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
If you have time do a little beachcombing for washed up aboriginal artifacts.
Texas Country Reporter did a piece on a fella doing quite good walking the
Gulf shoreline using a hoelike stick to uncover incredible finds. Years back
I researched the area planning a hunt but my hunting buddy talked me into
going instead to a GPAA outing in Northern Montana. As always, watch
you back.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Shaw, I live in Pflugerville, Texas just outside of Austin. I travel a lot and if you are wanting another detectorist to come with you I will be willing to hunt with you. I researched some of that info as well and wanted to detect it. There is a story of a man who settled there who was murdered. From what I researched on him he buried some of his coinage. Not sure how true it is, but I am willing to look. I am new at detecting and need to get out. You can send me an pm and if you want to hook up in a week or 2 then I will pm you my phone number or vice versa and we could hunt it.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
I'm from Sabine Pass...born and raised. There are three CW spots there that are are oustanding to hunt. All three sites are on private property and you cannot hunt them until it gets cold again. The alligators and mosquitos will carry you away.

A good friend of mine, who passed away last year, lived in Sabine all his life and was an oustanding historian and metal detectorist. He found a ton of cool stuff back home. In his garage/shop he had stacks of cannon balls, numerous buttons, coins, and even an entire sword.

I know where the good spots are but you can't get to them until winter time. :thumbsup:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXBLUZMAN said:
I'm from Sabine Pass...born and raised. There are three CW spots there that are are oustanding to hunt. All three sites are on private property and you cannot hunt them until it gets cold again. The alligators and mosquitos will carry you away.

Gators and Skeeters don't bother me none! I kill em, eat em and the skeeters, I just slap em so they quit sucken!

Ocean Oso

Mar 6, 2008
Galveston Island
TheHarleyMan2 said:
TXBLUZMAN said:

Gators and Skeeters don't bother me none! I kill em, eat em and the skeeters, I just slap em so they quit sucken!
The quarter sized mosquitos bite again after the initial .45 shot stuns them.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Thanks for all the info. Pretty cool stories on line, I just bought a book that talks about the battle as well.

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Here is some info you won't find in books. Not all of the Union ships came up the channel and got involved in the battle with the artillery outpost at the Battle of Dick Dowling. The Union boats that were filled with horses, mules, soldiers, and supplies were caught on sand bars near the beach (what is now the West side of the jetties) due to their weight and deep draft. To free themselves from the sand bars they had to lighten the load. They proceeded to throw all their supplies, horses, mules, etc overboard so they could be free from the sand bars.

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman all his life in Sabine Pass. He told me that when they used to drag for shrimp on the West side of the jetty they used to pull up old boots, bottles, and all sorts of supplies that were left from when the Union dumped their goods. Back in the 1930's they had one interest and that was shrimp, so they dumped the stuff overboard.

One of the Union boats, the Clifton, that was bombed all to hell was salvaged as a cotton hauler and then later a coal hauler. At some point in the late 1800's or early 1900's, and no longer sea worthy, the ship was sank on the West side of the jetties. About ten years ago I walked through the nastiest marsh, ditches, and mud to get to where the West jetty starts. I walked the ten miles down the beach which is where the first road is located. The odd thing is that there was coal all over the beach. My guess is that the ship had coal on it when they sank it and it was washing ashore. My friend who was with me found a Union mustard bottle on that beach and a small NOAA weather buoy that we took turns carrying the entire ten miles. My buddy got $200 for calling the number and returning it.

I know of one particular field that should be littered with cannon shot from the battle. The only problem is that it is fenced in and there are hundreds of cows on it. Maybe this winter I'll work on getting permission to hunt some of these spots and I'll rally the troops to hunt it.

JP

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
TXBLUZMAN said:
Here is some info you won't find in books. Not all of the Union ships came up the channel and got involved in the battle with the artillery outpost at the Battle of Dick Dowling. The Union boats that were filled with horses, mules, soldiers, and supplies were caught on sand bars near the beach (what is now the West side of the jetties) due to their weight and deep draft. To free themselves from the sand bars they had to lighten the load. They proceeded to throw all their supplies, horses, mules, etc overboard so they could be free from the sand bars.

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman all his life in Sabine Pass. He told me that when they used to drag for shrimp on the West side of the jetty they used to pull up old boots, bottles, and all sorts of supplies that were left from when the Union dumped their goods. Back in the 1930's they had one interest and that was shrimp, so they dumped the stuff overboard.

One of the Union boats, the Clifton, that was bombed all to hell was salvaged as a cotton hauler and then later a coal hauler. At some point in the late 1800's or early 1900's, and no longer sea worthy, the ship was sank on the West side of the jetties. About ten years ago I walked through the nastiest marsh, ditches, and mud to get to where the West jetty starts. I walked the ten miles down the beach which is where the first road is located. The odd thing is that there was coal all over the beach. My guess is that the ship had coal on it when they sank it and it was washing ashore. My friend who was with me found a Union mustard bottle on that beach and a small NOAA weather buoy that we took turns carrying the entire ten miles. My buddy got $200 for calling the number and returning it.

I know of one particular field that should be littered with cannon shot from the battle. The only problem is that it is fenced in and there are hundreds of cows on it. Maybe this winter I'll work on getting permission to hunt some of these spots and I'll rally the troops to hunt it.

That would be an awesome hunt - I bet that there is a lot of things still laying around the area.

Thanks again

JP

shanmanb

Dec 5, 2017
Orange Tx
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interested in Sabine pass

A good friend of mine, who passed away last year, lived in Sabine all his life and was an oustanding historian and metal detectorist. He found a ton of cool stuff back home. In his garage/shop he had stacks of cannon balls, numerous buttons, coins, and even an entire sword.

I know where the good spots are but you can't get to them until winter time. :thumbsup:

Im new to detecting and from Orange Texas. Id like to hunt in Sabine pass It was mentioned the good area s were private property and the need to wait till winter! Does owner allow detecting there and how would I go about asking permission? Please help im ready to get away from the parks and swing sets. LOL Thank you! shanmanb

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recall an article in W&E Treasure magazine years ago about a gentlemen that found a medal given to the Confederates that defended the Sabine Pass. Here's a link to show the medal;

The Davis Guard Medal

Jonathan.Grummer

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2021
Colleyville, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just started detecting with a Garrett AT Pro and was wondering if the rules have changed at this site since this post began in 2008 and its now 2021? I plan on going here in a couple weeks and try to detect it. I would also welcome anyone who wanted to join me. ?Ill be in the area on Sunday Feb 28th.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread