Headed to Bolivar....

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Headed down to our family rented beach house tomorrow through Saturday.

Anyone have any info on Fort de- Bolivar or any other spots on the peninsula?

The internet has the history but no maps or locations of the surrounding areas.

I will be combing the beach and hopefully going to take a look at Fort Travis.

I will post some pics through the week if I get good internet connection.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I believe the forts are considered historic sites which means no MDing, but check it out for yourself. Check the old light house property near the ferry landing. If you plan on wade fishing, there has been a lot of small sharks working the pocket around the base of the jetty, keep an eye out and use a long stringer.. If you come through Anahuac on the way there are several historics areas you might want to stop and check for future MDing. Good luck

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
sqwaby said:
I believe the forts are considered historic sites which means no MDing, but check it out for yourself. Check the old light house property near the ferry landing. If you plan on wade fishing, there has been a lot of small sharks working the pocket around the base of the jetty, keep an eye out and use a long stringer.. If you come through Anahuac on the way there are several historics areas you might want to stop and check for future MDing. Good luck

I think they are. I just meant I was going to go look around (wishing I could MD!) There is so much history down there I bet there are many old relics and coins scattering the area. To bad they wont let us in for a day or two!

Thanks for the info sqwaby, I am leaving now and headed towards Winnie so I will check out some areas.

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Bolivar was a cool place to cruise around and learn some of its history, There is so much I would love to check out with a MD but as we all know these places are off limits.

I need a MD that fits on the bottom of my shoe!

Port Bolivar Info:

Attachments

• IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 400
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Fort Travis was a cool place to check out. I found 6 pennies just laying on the top of the ground - Very cool bunker.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 382
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I got a creepy vibe when I peeked in the doors. It seemed pretty cool and damp in there with some strange noises.

Cool looking doors though -

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 380
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
Other side of the fort. There was about three people there. (No guards on site). I had the MD in the truck, It was everything I could do to hold back.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 389
OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
I walked the beach every morning and evening and didn't come up with any great finds. I found a few pennies and dimes on the beach along with my share of pull tabs, nails and tent stakes.

I found around 3 or 4 bucks worth of clad at the beach house we stayed at. It was a great learning experience around the salt water with my ACE and I will go back.

Now on to the next location --------
Jason

beerbarrel

Jun 24, 2007
Houston
I was wondering about that myself. I know you can't hunt the Fort Travis Park, but if you go north, get on the beach, you may be able to hunt what is known as the Bolivar Flats. This beach goes right up to the park, and you can't help but wonder if the off duty soldiers went on this part of the beach.

beerbarrel

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
beerbarrel said:
I was wondering about that myself. I know you can't hunt the Fort Travis Park, but if you go north, get on the beach, you may be able to hunt what is known as the Bolivar Flats. This beach goes right up to the park, and you can't help but wonder if the off duty soldiers went on this part of the beach.

beerbarrel

They had to of at one time, Just to kill time and wonder out a bit. May be worth checking out sometime

juiceman99

Jul 27, 2008
Piney woods east Texas,,oak grove
Detector(s) used
whites xlt / Beach hunter 300/ whites 5d,garrett 400
Been there , Fort Travis is off limits, one guy told me i could hunt there, but when i pulled out the old xlt about 10 minutes two guy's walked up in green uniforms and read me the whole thing about texas park's. i explained that i had permission and was told it was o.k. about that time i thought i was going to be transfered to Galveston. What saved my hide was my son the Chief of Police in the town where one of these officer lived.(short story) Like me you have been warned. i know it's a shame that it's off limits,and believe me my i know how you feel .So know i hunt the good old old beaches,and the old fort's in east Texas, check out the old fort near Kaufman texas,The old forts southeast of Dallas ,The hill country has a lot of treasures just waiting to be found . that is if you like western goodies.and believe me they lost a lot of the old coins and good old spanish goodies. Happy hunting

OP
OP
Shaw

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
just-geese said:
juiceman99 said:
Been there , Fort Travis is off limits, one guy told me i could hunt there, but when i pulled out the old xlt about 10 minutes two guy's walked up in green uniforms and read me the whole thing about texas park's. i explained that i had permission and was told it was o.k. about that time i thought i was going to be transfered to Galveston. What saved my hide was my son the Chief of Police in the town where one of these officer lived.(short story) Like me you have been warned. i know it's a shame that it's off limits,and believe me my i know how you feel .So know i hunt the good old old beaches,and the old fort's in east Texas, check out the old fort near Kaufman texas,The old forts southeast of Dallas ,The hill country has a lot of treasures just waiting to be found . that is if you like western goodies.and believe me they lost a lot of the old coins and good old spanish goodies. Happy hunting

Been down that road, when I first came to Tx. in 1981 was at the state park on Galveston...Being the outstanding person I am I ask the ranger about detecting the beach..You would have thought I bad mouthed his mama, he read me the riot act, the state laws, and what the state of Tx thought about metal detecting, not to mention what would happen to me if I got the detector out of the truck. As I mentioned above being the outstanding person I am I did what any upright redneck would do, went to the truck got a beer and waited till they closed the office down then detected LOL
J-G

Thats funny right there Don, Flashlights were invented for a reason. (and beer for that matter)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread