Trammells Trace - Hughes Springs, TX

SpaceGoose

Jul 8, 2008
Hughes Springs, TX
Trammell's Trace - Hughes Springs, TX

OK, I have no prob posting the city names and such, as they are readily available and published here on the Net. Here's my problem. I'm a trucker now, and as such, I'm quite limited on when I can get back home to Hughes Springs to look into this. I have heard stories of Reece Hughes and his settling near Chalibeaty Springs (now located dead center in Spring Park - center of town). An X boss of mine was into archaeology as a hobby and told me of a couple interesting things of indians between Hughes Springs and Avinger. Which serves to confirm the reports of indians in the area.

What I am specifially interested in is Trammell's treasure. Here is the mention of it in town history...

Reece Hughes was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, on November 26, 1811. When he was only 18 years old he left his home and joined a small ban of adventurers headed for Texas on a buffalo hunt. Texas, a province of Mexico, was a wild and unsettled region. This band was driven out by a larger band of hostile Indians.

The attractions of this strange, new country lured Reece Hughes back, nine years later when Texas became a Republic. He was joined by his brother Robert and a Negro man slave in his early 20’s.

They first stopped at Blossom Prairie in Red River County. Here they rented a small piece of land and raised a crop. But Reece Hughes had heard a strange rumor the first time he visited Texas. A wild rumor of a strong-box full of gold coins that was said to be buried near an Indian village, by Trammell, the pirate. This treasure was said to have been hidden somewhere on the Old Trammell Trace, not far from the Sulphur Fork. The Hughes brothers, lured by this hidden treasure, followed the old Trammell Trace until they reached an old, deserted Choctaw Indian village near the trail. This village was in the valley of present day Hughes Springs. Here, the brothers stopped and on March 28, 1839, they pitched their tent, began to build a log cabin and clear the farmland.

If they ever found the treasure, there is no record of it. They did plant a crop of corn and peas. They were so satisfied with the results of the first year that Reece Hughes returned to Northwest Alabama to bring his father and his family to the Republic of Texas. Many of his relatives and friends were also seized with the Texas fever. The Hughes, Prewitts, Bennetts and Skinners formed the first settlers of this portion of East Texas. Area lakes were named for these families. Shortly after this, immigration increased rapidly and the new country began to prosper.

The town history goes on about Reece building an iron forge and so on, but that can come at a later date.

I have tried to do some research in my down time, but thus far have come up with VERY limited references on Trammell, much less anything about this strong box. If anyone could help me out with any info you may find, or at least point me in a good direction, I would be most appreciative.

Hopefully (if things continue the way the have been) I'll be coming off the road in the next few months. If that is the case, I will be contacting the town historian and a few others that I know have been in town for some years now.

BTW, this is my 1st post, and definitely not my last, as I have a couple other stories/questions to share.

One in particular...I am completely new to MDing, but have always been intrigued with the hunt. What would you say is a good 1st MDer for a greenhorn? lol Please consider, there are many changes and expenses going right now, so money may be an obstacle over $150 or so.

But all input is appreciated on both subjects!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread