Hunting (100+ years) old Oak trees

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
So, you come upon a huge majestic oak tree and think....wow, I wonder who travelled around this tree in the day and what they may have dropped? You pick up your trusty md and get to sweeping....but WHERE to do you get to sweeping.....right by the trunk, which has obviously grown much since the old stuff was drooped, out from the roots, which may likely have "pushed" anything out away from the center, or at the periphery, where stuff proabaly ran down and picnics may have been held......basic question?

What's the BEST way to hunt a tree and after years and years (let's say at least 75-80) where would those lovely trinkets and bobble (not to mention coin and relics) be? :o ??? :icon_scratch:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I always start at the trunk and work my way out until I covered a 15-20 foot radius around the tree. Why so far out? Well, kids are climbers, and from what I can gather from talking to the ~80 year olds at my wife's family reunions which are quite large, they were even more so when they were kids. Kids find their way to the larger branches of the canopy and monkey crawl all around them, giving a supper opportunity for the contents of their pockets to jump out and hide in the ground waiting to be discovered by us many years later. HH

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
myelo1023 said:
Thanks Creksol....think I'll go try your method tomorrow! :wink:

Tomorrow is no hunting without your nephew day.... To bad for you. Good thing I don't have a nephew. ;D

That tree in New Caney is calling my name this week.

OP
OP
myelo1023

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Yeah, well, I'll let you know how many arrowhead and "stuff" I find from the north side of Lake Conroe tomorrow! ;D ;D ;D

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Myelo

Have you ever hunted the swimming areas of Lake Conroe, I remembe seeing a swimming area off a marina on the north side of the lake, the name of the road was something like _????____line road, can't quite remember. John

OP
OP
myelo1023

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Re: Hey Myelo

TexasDigger1 said:
Have you ever hunted the swimming areas of Lake Conroe, I remembe seeing a swimming area off a marina on the north side of the lake, the name of the road was something like _????____line road, can't quite remember. John

Your probably thinking of League Line Road. I haven't hunted up there yet. I went to the lake today and only got a few minutes to hunt (was fishing and sunbathing....certainly comes in a close second). My metal detector was kinda acting up since I dropped it in the water on Saturday. :-\

I AM going to try the north side though and I'll look for the swimming hole. There is another one I am going to try just north from the 1097 bridge to left. a LOT of people go there on the weekends, and in retrospect, I should have gone there today, but just didn't have time.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know how it goes, I always wonder about the huge trees, I haven't had any luck hunting them and found it really hard with roots and all.

OP
OP
myelo1023

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
txkickergirl said:
let me know how it goes, I always wonder about the huge trees, I haven't had any luck hunting them and found it really hard with roots and all.

Yeah, the roots are tough, but sometimes you can get under the smaller ones if you are REALLY patient (4-6" diameter)...which I am usually not, but am rapidly learning to be. I didn't get a chance to hunt the tree today, but will sometime this week! I'll let you know how it goes.

searchingforfun

Greenie
Oct 12, 2008
Houston
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I am new hunting here in Houston and since I bought my ACE 250 metal detector I haven't an opportunity to hunt yet, I have only practiced in my back yard....
I any one has an idea where can I go, I will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

Victor

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I always circle the trunk slowly till Im out beyond the limbs.I have found that in old yards and parks the Heavy limbs that extend out often produce the best finds underneath them. I imagine its due to the shade and the attraction to tire swings or just kids hanging from and climbing them.
Dont forget to look at the tree and see if any old big limbs appear to have been cut off that may have once extended over the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread