TS reviews

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
In general, Salvation Army over GW. I have never found anything to mention in a GW, and their online auction really sucks, for a number of reasons. Sadly, our SA seems to be going the way of GW. The only good thing I can say about the GWs in my large city is that they are open on Sunday and SA isn't. So I might go there if it is raining, nuclear war is imminent and the only thing on TV is a WNBA game.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to volunteer at Salvation Army here. As far as the knowledge of the people working there the manager was the only one that really cared what the prices were. And their warehouse would send stuff with eBay printouts on them already. The management at the store did not do that themselves. As far as the store I was at nothing was really researched too much and as far as I know none of the employees really bought anything besides typical household stuff they would really need.

With that said though some of the prices were ridiculously high though on antique stuff that no one really needs or has very much collector value outside of one or two random people that might need it or want it. The other two locations in town are fairly priced on everything is well one or two items will be crazy high but most of the time if you go into the store you can talk to the manager about getting a lower price on stuff. They don't tell you that but I've been able to negotiate with them and so have others in the past so most of them are willing to sell the stuff they have in their store and are not looking to keep it! I say give it a shot and see if they will come down on the price at all!

I had one customer who was upset because the jewelry was searched. I told him how can you possibly price everything without looking at what you're doing first? Of course it's looked at. There's no way I can put a price tag on something without looking at it first. However I did not buy any of it. But as far as I know nothing was ever bought from the store because someone thought it had more value. At least not buying employee from what I saw.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like hitting the small town thrift stores in my work travels. They sell dirt cheap and care little to look in to what they got for free. Around home here they have a staff doing research at a main store and distribute all the goodies from there. It's getting real hard to find the goods anymore in the big houses. I got a unknown at the time email, just this morning from a thrift store...I forgot, I signed up to be a member at this little private owned thrift store in the mountains. I stop by there from time to time and I remember the guy telling me he was a power seller on ebay and then opened his own thrift store with the money he made from ebay. I'm not sure what all being a member is with this outfit?? and I do remember filling out the form as he asked me to do. I'll cut and paste what I got below. I just got two emails from him this morning.

Welcome to the Team, Grant!

Dear Grant,
First off let me say, Welcome Aboard! You are now an official Member Owner in our Thrift Store. With that there is a lot to say, so very little time to say it. So, I will give you the highlights with links to dive in deeper at a later time.

First, please review your account information below. (If there are issues just respond to this email)

Here is the extended reading. When you have the time take a look and see what it means to be a Member Owner in our store.

Being a Member Owner - We see our members as more than just customers. Our program allows them to be part of a movement to create change in the lives of others while being a part of a growing organization that gives back to their members through revenue sharing...

Acceptable Donations - We like stuff, lots of it, but we can't take everything. Please review this before scheduling a donation pick up or dropping off items...

The Calling of a Volunteer - Everyone has their own reason on why they volunteer. What's yours?

The Power of Words - Spread the message and build a business you have an interest in...

How Does It Work - An attempt to explain all of the details in the shortest possible way...

Become A Seller - We know you don't want to donate everything, so we have a solution for you to help you sell the item for top dollar, and to sell it FAST...

Grant, just a couple more things. We will send you weekly sales updates and monthly status updates. You can unsubscribe from these any time. However, I highly encourage you stay engaged with us. We often times offer incredible deals via email and announce company updates that can be life changing.
Thank you again for becoming a Member and I look forward to an exciting future with you.

Blessings,

XXXX XXXX
Founder

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good Morning Grant,
Exactly 365 days ago we launched a new kind of thrift... The FIRST and ONLY Co-Op Thrift Store and I have to say WOW! What an incredible past 12 months we have grown. Starting with just a handful of members to over 2600 members in such a short time we have accomplished something very special.

In addition to the large membership base we have grown over 114% in sales.

Paid out over $10,000 in profit share to qualified members.

Expanded our warehouse and processing needs.

Launched our online store, 24HrThrift.com

Established a long term relationship with ARC Thrift Stores to assist with product distribution.

Brought on nearly a dozen new full time and part time volunteers.

And have kept literally tons of items from ending up in landfills by giving them new life in new homes.

The most amazing part of all of this, is this is just the BEGINNING! What will we accomplish in the next 12 months?

I want to 'Thank You' for your support over the past year ( I JUST SIGNED UP 3 WEEKS AGO) and hope to encourage our newest members to participate in helping us grow even more. It is through your efforts, word of mouth, donations and shopping that have made us who we are today.

So, since this is our Co-Op Anniversary, let's celebrate! 50% OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE, APRIL 1ST ONLY!

After Wednesday:
ALL YELLOW TAGS ARE 50% OFF
ALL PINK TAGS ARE 25% OFF
Clothes are Buy 2 Get the 3rd FREE.

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." - Francis of Assisi

Blessings,

XXXX XXXX
Founder

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only TS we have in town is Goodwill. There are others if I want to drive 20 - 30 miles. Last week, I was talking to the person in charge of books and media (I collect records). They used to sell albums (33 1/3) for $1.99 each. Now they are $2.99 - $5.99, with anything good at the higher end. Since she took over media, she looks them all up online and prices them higher if they "are selling for more", as she put it. Hardcover books are now $5.99 - $8.99. I told her that I know a couple of book collectors / dealers and they refuse to come in. Her response: "Good, I don't want them in here. I'm not here to price books low so they can resell them on eBay for a big profit." If she sees someone looking books up online for prices, she'll tell them to leave.
I can't wait for the local warm weather "garage sale" to start, where I get albums for $1 and 45's are 3 / $1. Once the temperature gets above 50 and stays there...

Scott

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only TS we have in town is Goodwill. There are others if I want to drive 20 - 30 miles. Last week, I was talking to the person in charge of books and media (I collect records). They used to sell albums (33 1/3) for $1.99 each. Now they are $2.99 - $5.99, with anything good at the higher end. Since she took over media, she looks them all up online and prices them higher if they "are selling for more", as she put it. Hardcover books are now $5.99 - $8.99. I told her that I know a couple of book collectors / dealers and they refuse to come in. Her response: "Good, I don't want them in here. I'm not here to price books low so they can resell them on eBay for a big profit." If she sees someone looking books up online for prices, she'll tell them to leave.
I can't wait for the local warm weather "garage sale" to start, where I get albums for $1 and 45's are 3 / $1. Once the temperature gets above 50 and stays there...

Scott

As a long time used book seller, online and leased locations, we depend on thrift stores. Some shady TS had dealers come "early" to cherry pick good ones. Manager got wind of it and fired staff. MOST used books like paperbacks are bought to read. It's a tough business. You have to replace every book sold. Which means after selling say 100 books (a lot) you need to look at ten times that or more at TS. You can tell us by the way we look sideways at titles. :)

My Ebay and Amazon etc stores were tough. Gave them up. List a book, detail editions for collectors, take pictures, describe all faults, load inventory, manage inventory, sell and try to find the book, print labels, pack and ship... lucky to net $4/book. From a $20 sale. And everyone sells books. And knows what they think they are worth. And the least informed seller are thrift stores. To them "Fine" is something in pretty good shape for it's age. Love em but have them understabd what Thrift means.
BB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread