Brutalist score at re-store (Habitat For Humanity)

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today after work I went to a couple of thrift stores! I was mainly there to look for art, but was lucky enough to find this beautiful pair of lamps (made of steel) with shades. I texted a friend of mine, and sent her a picture, and she called me right away to tell me to buy them as she believed that they were what they call "Laurel Lamps" from the 1960's "Brutalist movement"! She was not sure about the designer or knew anything else about them. I got them for an incredible price. They are very stunning! Please let me know if you know more about this form of art. I'll continue with my research on my end. Thank you very much! Is is definitely appreciated!

RJA

Attachments

• Brutalist1.jpg
    Brutalist1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 261
  • Brutalist2.jpg
    Brutalist2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 230
OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Lost&Found, Unbelievable! They are definitely the same! They are very, very heavy! The links indicate brass, so that is probably what mine are! I have not found a signature yet, but I haven't looked at them with my magnifying glass. I will definitely do so! If they are original, it will definitely be an unbelievable score! Thank you for the links! I sincerely appreciate them, and your time!

RJA

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those things are insanely expensive. Congratulations on that score! If you keep them or sell them I might buy your friend lunch for her help! They are so strange but what they sell for is ridiculously awesome! Awesome find! I'm going to go search repair this weekend! With that what does the makers Mark look like on them if there's one?

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I would have bought them just on their own!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, and I'd love to have them in my house. I think they're incredible.

Before you start looking at down payments on a Corvette, however, you should know that 1stdibs prices are ridiculous.

I usually take those and divide by 4 for a more reasonable price. Sometimes I see things on there that are selling on eBay for only a fraction of the price.

Definitely valuable, just not 8k valuable :-)

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, and I'd love to have them in my house. I think they're incredible.

Before you start looking at down payments on a Corvette, however, you should know that 1stdibs prices are ridiculous.

I usually take those and divide by 4 for a more reasonable price. Sometimes I see things on there that are selling on eBay for only a fraction of the price.

Definitely valuable, just not 8k valuable :-)[/QUOTE

I'll take $4,500, pm me your address! :)

RJA

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take $4,500, pm me your address! :)

RJA

I checked eBay sold listings, and I found SIMILAR lamps (not the same, I think yours is cooler, actually) sell for less than 2k/pair.

REDUCED Pair Maurizio Tempestini Brutalist Shiny Brass Lamps Laurel Lamp Co 29" | eBay

Monumental Mid Century Brutalist Torch Cut Steel Lamp by Harry Balmer for Laurel | eBay

Pair of Mid Century Modern Laurel Tempestini Brutalist Cylinder Lamps | eBay

1960's Harry Balmer Laurel Lamp Co Brutalist Welded Torch Cut Table Lamp | eBay

Hell of a find for lamps though, I've turned 20 dollar lamps into $150 sales but definitely not this.

The best thing you have going for you is that you have a pair, a pair is very hard to find. I think you should be able to make at least $1800 for the pair, maybe up to $2500 if you find the right market.

Check 1stdibs for dealers near you- 1stdibs dealers usually attract higher end clientele.

The local store I consign with wasn't interested in a pair of tables I picked up, but another store that sells on 1stdibs gave me a decent amount of money (and more than I could have expected from my usual spot). They have the people with money that move through the store.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information, Accord. I sincerely appreciate it! They look beautiful in my livingroom! It's going to be hard to let them go! :-)

RJA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread