Im still in shock over todays find

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still in shock over today's find

Seriously. You can NOT make this up. I went to drop off jewelry at the consignment shop. They got a bunch of Yurman pieces the other day. I was drooling over one of them. I really wanted it for me, and it was priced at half of what they go for on Ebay. I asked the owner if she was going to have a sale on black Friday. She whispered to me that yes, the jewelry was going to be 15% off. But it was a secret between me and her. OK, I'll come back on Friday.
Meanwhile, she asks me, Do you want to see the bracelets?
me - No thanks, I saw them yesterday.

5 mins later a lady walks into the store. May I see the gold bracelet I was looking at yesterday.
Me - nearly pass out!
Price sticker on it, just over $100. This was a san marco chain. Maybe it was heavy, maybe it wasn't. The lady went to go sit in the corner and look at it. She was hesitating over it. This is going on for like 20 mins, and I am going nuts, sending her mental vibes .. PUT IT BACK PUT IT BACK PUT IT BACK. I asked the owner, Did that consigner bring in any other gold pieces?

No, but someone else brought this one. We took it across the street to We Buy Gold. They said it's marked 10K, but it is not even plated. It didn't test for gold. I look at this. Stamp. K14 Italy Looks like gold. Not magnetic. Seriously. This looks like gold. It's so heavy. Maybe it's plated. Come on stupid lady ... put the bracelet back so I can snatch it up. After 40 mins, she finally says, I'll take it. ARGH! Then I hear her say, It's 10K. OK, fine whatever.

I take my bracelet. My bracelet for $24 that is not really 10K gold but sure does look like it. I come home, and acid test it.
The top line is 14K, the bottom line is 10K. My jeweler told me to scratch twice in the same spot. If it's plated, the second one won't show gold. I scratched 3x.
2015-11-24 14.08.35a-2.jpg
I just about peed myself at that. Look at how much it weighs!
2015-11-24 14.09.19b.jpg

I took that, a bracelet I bought or $450 (32 grams) and a necklace I found in a jar today (Italy, 17g). The jeweler let me trade. More than spot. Look what came home with me ....

2015-11-24 20.16.24.jpg

total diamond weight: 3 ct
I don't remember how much the bracelet weighs.

WHOO HOO! $475 (plus tax) bought me this stunning diamond tennis bracelet! I am soooo happy!

OH YEA --- The total kicker of the whole story? The lady who bought the 10K bracelet says, Once in a while I get lucky and find gold. But not here. You guys are very good at that.

ROTFL!!!!!! If they only knew!!!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, good for you. Congrats!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great finds!! Nothing like treating yourself to something nice after reaping the rewards of a good find!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Congratulations on getting what you wanted but I look at things a little differently. Assuming the 2 bracelets & the necklace were 14k you traded over 92 grams for the tennis bracelet. In my world 92 grams of 14k scrap is worth between $1700 & $1800.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on getting what you wanted but I look at things a little differently. Assuming the 2 bracelets & the necklace were 14k you traded over 92 grams for the tennis bracelet. In my world 92 grams of 14k scrap is worth between $1700 & $1800.

Those numbers are grams, not penny weights. Here is the picture of the scale (in pennyweight):

2015-11-24 18.33.07.jpg

(he was giving me 80% of spot).

I'm still laughing about her comment about not finding gold. The amount of time she spent studying that bracelet! The earrings I was wearing today came from there ... 14K gold with (cheap) diamonds, marked $28 cuz they thought it was silver.

You know the only reason I asked if there was any other gold was because that lady had asked for the gold bracelet.

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I have nightmares of things I missed! Lol! Enjoy your new sparkler!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great story. Who'll be next amongst us with an awesome score like that. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread