Help Identifying Mystery Lapel Pin

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. Picked this up for $.50 today at a thrift in Southern California. Any help identifying the front logo or even the makers mark beside the '10K' stamp on the reverse would be greatly appreciated. I bought this not even knowing it was gold. It is very difficult to see with the naked eye. Fortunately, I am a bit of a sucker for employee or fraternal organization lapel pins. Lastly, anyone care to speculate on whether the stones could be real? Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472515509.241480.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472515520.377354.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McDonald Douglas service award pin circa 1960's.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The diamond could be real. Not sure if the blue ones would genuine precious stones, but maybe lab made ?

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot fellas! I was looking at the pin from the perspective shown in the photo above, so I didn't even see the rocket / plane image correctly to make the McDonnell Douglas connection. As a matter of fact, the rocket with jet stream looked like a cane to me, so I wasted time researching Folies Bergère type cabaret stage shows to see if this pin was tied to them in some way. So thanks again!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet deal for .50 cents!! Considering the back has holes behind the stones, I'm thinking they may be real.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over time I've picked these little gold pins up here and there. Mostly I find them in those carousel motorized display cases that hold hundreds of smalls to pan through in large indoor antique malls. Very often they are overlooked and under priced and some are marked and some are not, but I know what gold looks like and can actually feel the specific weight in the center of my palm by it's small size to weight ratio. I find them in 10K to 14K and range in weights of no more then 2 grams each. I've paid from 2 bucks to 20 bucks each on them. Buying these little gold pins is all part of my pocket change investment strategy and a sheltered cash reserve mama don't about.

Attachments

• gold label pins.jpg
    gold label pins.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 123

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find and the diamond looks real to me.

Has anyone found a good online resource or method for identifying these types of pins? Seems like they would be collectable.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McDonald Douglas service award pin circa 1960's.

I worked for McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis about 25 years ago, and that logo definitely looks familiar. In fact, it looks like the old Douglas Aircraft logo:

Douglas-logo.png

I found this site which lists wedding anniversary stones. If you go by the same logic, maybe this pin was for someone's 20th work anniversary?

Anniversary Stones

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold today for a best offer of $62.00! Definitely the slow dime versus the quick nickel, but well worth the wait, I think. Thanks all for the help!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold today for a best offer of $62.00! Definitely the slow dime versus the quick nickel, but well worth the wait, I think. Thanks all for the help!

I am a slow dimer at times. If I don't have to feed it, I can afford to wait. Sometimes the fast nickel is nice though, especially if its a large item taking up valuable space.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions