KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys & galls

Tomorrow I am traveling to a large auction of antique and vintage items.

I have a fairly good knowledge on a few subjects, but not a lot when it comes to a wide variety.

The auction is big (in my terms) with over 500 lots.

I would like to hear some input on what you guys think is a hot subject at the moment, or even better, what do you see will be popular in the near future, or what is gaining in popularity.

What would you guys think would be worth aiming for. I have zero knowledge of art, glassware, pottery, clocks, music stuff. Good knowledge of militaria, Jewellery,
automotive stuff (although I thinks the prices are crazy over here atm) same for old toys.

here is a link to the full listings
http://www.natronics.com.au/~catalogs/Lockhartcatalogue.html

This link is more categorised, and will be a little easier to look over quickly http://www.natronics.com.au/~catalogs/lockhart.html

Any collectors of any of these lots, I might be able to help out.

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stay clear from glass or pottery unless they're much older or key pieces. Prices on that stuff has dropped through the floor. American country primitive is hot right now. At least here in southern New England. I love a good auction. I also go with whatever catches my eye and if something is "calling" me. I also sometimes feel the need to rescue the rough pieces that nobody else wants to bother with. I bought a period empire style card table circa 1805-1815 for $5.00 last month. One leg was completely broken off but my knowledge of furniture and repair new it was a very easy fix. Solid mahogany and a drop dead gorgeous piece of furniture. Good luck and let us know what you picked up.

After posting this I just realized that you are in Australia. I tried the links but they didn't seem to work. But I still say go with your gut feeling and what you like and are comfortable with.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The good Cap'n summed it up pretty darn well. :notworthy:

One question is, what do you intend to do with your finds? Sell them online? Keep size and weight in mind.

Sell at flea markets? Look for old hand tools and, well, really anything old and rough-looking. I've seen stuff selling at flea markets that I wouldn't have wasted time pulling out of a dumpster! Glassware is out, but mantle clocks are good buys. Some watches, but you have to know what to look for. Try to avoid anything electrical unless you KNOW it works and it appeals to you. You might have it longer than you want, so you might as well like it to begin with. And on some lamps, sometimes the most horrible lamps can be worth $$!!

Watch and listen. Sounds like a big to-do, so there is bound to be many other folks who have lots of knowledge. Watch and learn. Again, buy what appeals to you, for it may end up being yours to keep! Also, consider things in need of some repair. Furniture is a great seller here!! Car parts? I dunno. Guns, YES!! Knives, yes, but not made in China or Pakistan unless exceptionally ornate or evil-looking. Swords, YES!!

But again, a lot depends on tour target selling audience - how you intend to sell your treasures.

EDIT: Also, look for basically trash items that are metal - specifically copper, brass, bronze, or even aluminum. Sometimes you can get more for an item as scrap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the advice,
I intend on re-selling most items, and to keep a few that have personal appeal. And I seem to always end up getting things I think my daughters might like.

I just got home, was a long day. I think I did okay, although I was a little gun shy, but I guess that is better than getting drawn into bidding wars.
This was my first live auction, and I learned a lot.

I just wish I took a furniture truck as the large furniture items were selling for next to nothing, and there was some gorgeous Victorian pieces.

I went with a limited fund, so I held off a little too much early on, as to make sure I had the cash when the lots I really wanted came up, then when they did, most went for what I consider too much.

I did score some decent things at great prices, a nice vintage sterling necklace, a sterling cameo (not sure if it's real) a lot of sought after (in Aus) badges, a nice old tin, a heap of small lots at $5, a set of three old Disney collector plates (not my thing, but for $10 was worth a shot) my favourite item was a carved (dragon) wooden trinket box with a air force insig.

I will upload some photos, would like to see what you guys think, and maybe help ID

Looking back I think I was a little too cautions, and didn't spend as much as I expected. I am kicking myself over a few auctions I pulled out of.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few things I picked up, nothing too exciting. I think the necklace should make me a few $'s it has some weight to it.

P8215174.JPG P8215175.JPG P8215176.JPG P8215179.JPG

Not sure what's doing with the trinket box, Japanese design, with what I think is an English air force insignia.
I don't know if the plates are worth anything, but I believe there is a market for early Disney.

I also picked up a box of costume jewellery for $5 and just found a pair of sterling cuff links.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I am kicking myself over a few auctions I pulled out of.

Welcome to the world of auctions! :laughing7:

Really large furniture doesn't do so well in my area, with the exception of sofa's and dining room tables - just not TOO formal. But then I'm in a farming community. Anything having to do with the outdoors and hunting does well here. As I said before, also tools - especially power and shop tools. Avoid welding machines unless you know a decent one from a wreck. You cannot always tell by looking. Again, never buy anything that runs on its own battery. Replacement batteries are usually as expensive as getting a whole new tool with warranty. However, I've also seen many things sell at auctions for more than what they would cost new in the store. ...Can truly be a crazy world.

Best advice I can give is, follow your gut - listen to your heart - listen to that little voice inside your head. However you choose to read that, just use your instincts. Don't overthink things - leave the thinking to paying attention to what you're doing, as well as what other people are doing.

If a household auction, look for people who are always bidding but never buying. They "may" be bidding you up, but not necessarily. They may also simply be looking for a steal of a deal. If a multi-owner auction (like a community auction), try to get there early and try to watch and see who goes with what lots, as they may try to get the bids higher. Look in local resale/consignment shops regularly and see what's selling.

And lastly, many times you will find that stuff goes for dirt cheap at the tail end of auctions - sometimes the auctioneer will be running out of time and will throw several things together just to get done in time. This is where you can find some great profits. We used to get boxes and boxes of "mostly" trash for just $1 or $2. However, there were always these little treasures inside each box that, if sold, each item would pay for the whole lot of boxes. Lots of profit potential there. But, many other folks also realize this same tactic. So again, just feel things out.

Looking forward to your pics! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did inadvertently get there early, was actually the first person. And I saw a few guys talking about their man sheds, and sure enough they went all out for the enamel signs, and old bottles. And another guy wearing military pins, and sure enough he had to have all the military items no matter what the bids went to.

My recent foray into antique pocket watches payed off, as I had my eye on one, but didn't want to go over $30 as it was not a more sought after brand, and was not in a silver or gold case, and I know they cost around $300 to get serviced/repaired around here. It went for $140.

And my experience metal detecting helped with the Gould league bird watches pins, as I have found a couple and my research into them shows some go over $1000 each. I got this little lot for only $5 no one else was interested. No super rare ones, but should get $60 - $80 back on them.

There were many nice old mantle clocks, lamps, and scales. These things I need to get some knowledge on.

P8215180.JPG P8215181.JPG P8215183.JPG

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first time out of the gate, I think you did great. It's not a bad thing to hold back a little. Especially if its your first auction and you have limited funds. ( like me! ). I personally can't compete with the dealers that bring wads of cash. I'm good with that though because that's what they do for a living. You'll do just fine. Kcm said it best. Follow your heart, listen to your gut! If it doesn't seem right or you find yourself mulling it over and justifying it for way to long, pass on it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would've liked to have seen the mantle clocks. They're good to get, but some are worth lots and some are worth very little. Another thing to consider is in re-purposing items. If oyu find a mantle clock with a nice wooden case, but instead of Seth Thomas or something it is instead made in China or Philippines or something, you will probably get the clock for a song. So, remove the offending cheap innerds and turn it into a birdhouse. Add a coat or two of weatherproofing topcoat. Some info on that is here:
Wood Finishes for Boats | West Marine

That's one example of many. As for the watch that sold for $140, the person who bought it either wanted it for their own collection or knows how to fix them - or maybe has a similar watch with damaged shell, but a good timepiece to put in it. Could be other possibilities as well but then this is overthinking things already. Basically, get an item for it's intended use or re-purpose it into something totally different - something for display, but with purpose.

Did you get any larger items? Good choices on what you pictured - very portable, which means can be mailed easily to a potential buyer. ...I think someone had mentioned this already, but glassware is difficult to move. Glassware was HUGE in the 80's-90's, as was fine china. Now, it's difficult to "give" much of it away!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bar items seem to be hot right now. Vintage only. Any mid-century items too. Stay away from any "collectable". I was at an estate sale that had hundreds of Rockwell plates in boxes. They couldn't sell them at $1 each.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...SOME collectible might sell, but you have to get a good price first. Things like marbles, BUTTONS!!, or anything with a local/national theme. Like in Arkansas, for example, they have the Razorbacks. Anything having to do with Razorbacks sells like hotcakes!! In Minnesota, anything to do with outdoors; hunting and fishing. So whatever would be collectible locally for you.

...I'm sure there was a much simpler way to express all that, but my last working brain cell is tired!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been to a live auction but I'd probably stick with things I know. Then you are more aware of whether or not you're really getting a deal. Those bird watcher pins are a good example, sounds like you got a nice score there. An exception can be made for something you just MUST have for your own collection. Then it comes down to how badly you want it.

Echoing what OldSowBreath said, avoid sports cards in general unless they are pre-1980. Even 1970s can be iffy, depending on condition and asking prices. I know eBay is absolutely flooded with sports cards now.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only large item I got was a flat screen tv, I helped a guy load some large furniture and he had no room left and offered me the tv.

I try and focus on smaller things, as I sell on Ebay, I hate posting the larger items and Australia post is expensive.

Speaking of mantle clocks, my Mother gave me this one a few years back. I cant see a name on it, but it does say made in England.

P8235186.JPG P8235187.JPG

And these old kero lamps.
P8235188.JPG P8235189.JPG

I need to expand on my knowledge base, and start researching a wider area, as I really enjoyed the auction and am looking forward to attending more.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't take long, off to my second auction this weekend, and funny enough it's in the same town as the previous one.

here is preliminary list of the items.

~THOUSANDS OF COLLECTABLE ITEMS~
•OUTSTANDING ESTATE JEWELLERY 9CT & 18CT GOLD RINGS SET WITH DIAMONDS & PRECIOUS STONES
•HUNDREDS OF PIECES OF ENGLISH CHINA INCLUDING ALL THE GREAT MANUFACTURES
•ART GLASS, CHARACTER BIRDS & ANIMALS, CRYSTAL AND CUT GLASS, WINES, VASES & CARNIVAL
•MANY OTHER MOST INTERESTING ONE-OFF COLLECTABLES FROM ERAS LONG GONE
•OUTDOOR GARDEN FURNITURE PLUS GARDEN & HOUSEHOLD DECORATIVE THINGS
•ANTIQUE & MODERN FURNISHING FROM MANY DIFFERENT ERAS
•COLONIAL CEDAR FURNITURE A FEATURE OF THIS SALE
•CRYSTAL BOWLS & GLASS, PINK GLASS, 4 GREEN PIECES & ART GLASS BOWLS
•BOXED FORKS & SPOONS, CUT THROAT RAZORS & GRINDLEY LADIES
•ROOSTER DOORSTOP, SUNDIAL COMPASS, BAROMETER, CANNON & WAGON
•TELELSCOPE, SET OF WEIGHTS, SET OF SCALES, WALKING STICKS ETC.
•BOXES OF OLD BRIC-A-BRAC TO BE SORTED; HUNDREDS OF BITS FROM OTHER ERAS
•THIS SALE CONTAINS A MOST DIVERSE AND INTERESTING COLLECTION

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We WILL be expecting pics and a full write-up! :laughing7:

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did okay today, nothing really in the antique age I don't think.

My favourite win was this pedal car, not that old but love the look. Was thinking of fixing it up a little, but leaving the patina, maybe just clear coat, Rat rod style
P9035329.JPG

I think the following are repros, and the price represented this.

P9035330.JPG P9035332.JPG P9035333.JPG

not sure about this guy, think its a door stop. Ver large and heavy. No one wanted it, so I thought cant go too wrong for 5 bucks.
P9035331.JPG

A small 15ct gold ring
P9035334.JPG

then I visited a little 2nd hand shop and picked up this cheap watch for my daughter, and a sterling ring.
P9035335.JPG P9035336.JPG

I was very disappointed with the jewellery items, there was a lot of gold & silver rings, but nearly all had a blind bid that started at $200. Just crazy price for small gold rings that were mostly only 9ct & 10ct, they weren't even antique imo, no old hallmarks. I had saved most of my cash for these lots that were near the end of the auction.

Still learning

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did pretty good. I love the pedal car. As far as the jewelry, you win some and you loose some. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it! My feeling is if someone wants to pay crazy prices for jewelry, then go for it. It not my money! It's hard to compete with the dealers that have deep pockets.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
When you say you don't think that pedal car is very old, just how old (or new) do you think it is?? Personally, if I had the room, I'd probably keep that one. It certainly has appeal!! However, I wold also have to invest a little elbow grease and $ to spruce it up a bit. All the rust is very distracting, IMO. But if not keeping, then I wouldn't touch it!!

As for your Michelin finds, that's a bit harder to nail down as far as collectibility. I never make it a point of knowing what "other" people like, but I know that there was a time when Michelin items were in great demand, as well as Goodyear. Now, I don't even know if racing stuff in general is very collectible. My question is, what makes you think they're reproductions? I'm sittin' here looking at the one with the "99" on the tag and, first off, trying to figure out what it is he's sitting on. However, it looks to me to be from the 60's or 70's, maybe. Same with the motorcycles.

Looks like you did pretty well. However, the real test will be in seeing what your return is on these investments.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few things I picked up, nothing too exciting. I think the necklace should make me a few $'s it has some weight to it.

View attachment 1363239 View attachment 1363240 View attachment 1363241 View attachment 1363242

Not sure what's doing with the trinket box, Japanese design, with what I think is an English air force insignia.
I don't know if the plates are worth anything, but I believe there is a market for early Disney.

I also picked up a box of costume jewellery for $5 and just found a pair of sterling cuff links.
Research the costume pieces! Many times I've made enough off the costume pieces to cover my costs. I've got a Girls Guide pin that is very rare. That box looks VERY interesting! Are there any markings on the bottom? The reason I'm asking is it might have been custom made. = one of a kind = $$$$ The Dizzy Land plates are all over the price range. You just have to find a buyer with a "gotsta". A gotsta? you say? Gotsts have it!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread