Cartier watch for Metal Detector

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
This is posted in Thrift stores because I bought a used Bounty Hunter detector for $49.00 and never got a chance to use it. My buddy called and asked to use it to locate a pipe. He loved it and wanted to buy it from me or give me a watch he bought in the 80s or 90s and was sitting in his junk drawer. I told him it was worth more than the entry level detector but he didn't care. He said the watch would sit in the drawer for another 20 years and it didn't matter to him. Nice watch even with scratch on crystal. Will take it for a battery after work! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475181853.755803.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475181925.708637.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1475181975.784061.jpg

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice watch. Your watch seems to be gold plated....and does it keep time more than twice a day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Dropped it off at the jewelers. It is gold plated (vermeil) I believe 18K since its Cartier. They sell from $190 up to over $1000.00(poor sucker). The gold has rubbed off in areas and no way to fix it. So it will probably be sold for about $300 or so I'm guessing.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3-400 sound about right to me. The crystal can easily be replaced for cheap. What I'm worried about is that if the watch sat for a long time with no battery change or usage, if there was a battery left in there, pray it didn't corrode all over the movement. Just bought a nice Seiko quartz that wasn't that old and the dang battery messed the movement up rendering it worthless dang quartz watches always a hit and miss.

Man I hope it didn't corrode!!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's corroded, hopefully the jeweler won't charge me the $15 for high end battery changes! But it would still be a win. I'm sure I can sell it as is for more than the cost of metal detector.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped it off at the jewelers. It is gold plated (vermeil) I believe 18K since its Cartier. They sell from $190 up to over $1000.00(poor sucker). The gold has rubbed off in areas and no way to fix it. So it will probably be sold for about $300 or so I'm guessing.

At least it is gold plated silver. Still and awesome find and one I would love to have. Definitely a bucket list watch for me

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Update: The jeweler (well the salesperson anyway) only charged me $15.00 for the battery change. I asked about the tarnish and how to clean it and he said it could not be removed without rubbing the gold off too. So it is what it is. One of my jewelry buddy/competitors wanted the watch for himself and offered me $200 and 30 pieces of Brighton necklaces and bracelets. So I agreed to the trade. The morning of the trade I decided to at least try to clean the tarnish. I used my old rag with silver polish already in it. Worked like a charm! I told my buddy that he was lucky I had already agreed to he trade or I would have put that sucker on eBay for a bit more. Now I won't listen to salespersons at high end jewelry stores. They don't know everything.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A Jeweler that is truly knowledgeable of jewelry, watches and Gold plating and has the time and interest, can re-plate a watch with Gold. Many just do not want to go to that level. Tons of Watches and Pocket Watches are restored to their' original condition every single day and restoring them to their' original finish is just part of the process if it is needed.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread