Vintage 50s Wrangler denim jacket. 888MJL

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this today and am struggling on what I should list it for. Anyone have worthpoint I think there was one on there. Nothing current on eBay or sold recently. Other 50s models are all over on prices from 75-1200 for the first couple years By the tag and info I can find looks to be early 50s pretty good shape with a few distressed places. What does everyone think? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486287943.662451.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486287964.667855.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1486288002.905551.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one like it on Worthpoint. You could go for the free trial option worthpoint offers? Thing is you still never know on some item with a limited sales history on what yours is going to sell for today. Maybe more or maybe less then what the limited sales records show? May I ask what you have in it? Could be something you want to start out with an auction price you'd be satisfied with and hope it goes way beyond that? I think it's pretty unique and does look to me as something that more then a few folks would be willing to pay well to own.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have time on your side, start with a higher price. You can always come down, but should never go up. Also, try to narrow down the exact years that this model was manufactured as well as maybe some idea of how many were made. Do image searches for vintage Wrangler jacket and see if you can locate people wearing the jacket from date info on the pics. If it was really popular, there may be many still out there. ...Too bad it wasn't Levi's, even though I'm a Wrangler's fan.

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for responding I do appreciate the input. We purchased this as part of a bag sale at a local thrift so cost wise <$1. My couple hours of online research last night this model with this tag is 1955-57 mirroring the unlined model 111mj. Most of the results show a huge following in japan for vintage Wrangler wear, but no pricing (or it was in Japanese script and I wouldn't know). Hard part on pricing is how high to start it without leaving $ on the table. If I list it for $100 (which would be a awesome return) and it sells immediately I'd be worried I under priced. If I list it at $500 or higher am I scaring people away from making offers? I'll see about the free trial on worthpoint and update the thread with what I find.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding I do appreciate the input. We purchased this as part of a bag sale at a local thrift so cost wise <$1. My couple hours of online research last night this model with this tag is 1955-57 mirroring the unlined model 111mj. Most of the results show a huge following in japan for vintage Wrangler wear, but no pricing (or it was in Japanese script and I wouldn't know). Hard part on pricing is how high to start it without leaving $ on the table. If I list it for $100 (which would be a awesome return) and it sells immediately I'd be worried I under priced. If I list it at $500 or higher am I scaring people away from making offers? I'll see about the free trial on worthpoint and update the thread with what I find.

Don't list it as a BIN. Just start it at $75 and run a 7 day auction. Make sure you include international shipping through the Global Shipping Program.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you bought it for $1 and sold it for $100 in an instant, WHAT ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT?!?!?!?!? :laughing7:

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would list it as an auction as well starting on a Sunday for 7 days ending at 10pm in the western time zone.

It wont really matter if you start it low or not...you will quickly get a bunch of offers giving you an idea of what its worth.

Resist temptation to take the BIN as the auction will most certainly end for the BIN offers you have received.

You are going to do incredibly well on that piece.

Any 50's denim, work wear and boots are guaranteed homeruns and most likely will be sent to a third party shipping service for delivery to an asian county.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool vintage coat. I can't figure out if the additional styling on the front is a good or a bad thing. I got to say I am about to give up trying to sell clothes. I've tried with a couple pieces and not getting any bids. I think I'll stick to watches, Sterling and gold.

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I had picked that up, and it fit me, I'd have to struggle to let it go!

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Luckily it is way small for me as it is a 36 and I wear a 43. Still not much luck finding any listed or sold prices and worthpoint is being difficult on the free trial. Thinking we will list it as leadnbrass suggested just trying to decide on our starting bid. Chris

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update! Listed tonight as 7 day auction no buy it now starting at $150. 5 minutes in received a offer for twice the starting amount! 1.5 hours in another message and we are @8 watchers and over 30 views. Let me know if you want updates as we go or just at the end. Thanks again for the advice and sharing my excitement. Chris

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh. I am just now reading the thread. I always do BIN on things like this (not scared to be too high) so am really interested in the auction. Auction is always my last resort, but maybe I can learn something!

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So short recap and sorry I have forgotten to update this thread. We took a offer, it was a very difficult decision to make but here is what swayed us , we decided the offer was very fair and netted us a crazy profit on what was a sub $1 purchase and it was going home meaning it was purchased basically by wrangler to be a part of a historical display! How cool is that? Anyway just wanted to close the loop on the story definitely one of our best picks ever.
chris

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a great ending to the story!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
But how much? We need to know in order to raid all the closets in my in-law's abandoned homes in West Virginia!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So short recap and sorry I have forgotten to update this thread. We took a offer, it was a very difficult decision to make but here is what swayed us , we decided the offer was very fair and netted us a crazy profit on what was a sub $1 purchase and it was going home meaning it was purchased basically by wrangler to be a part of a historical display! How cool is that? Anyway just wanted to close the loop on the story definitely one of our best picks ever.
chris

Does this get you an honorable mention :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions