May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen hundreds of these plated covered dishes but still check each one in hopes a Sterling one will show up. Today was the day. Probably about 6-8 ounces. I will need to check when I get home. Btw the price tag was moved for this picture. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487457023.975550.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487457037.633824.jpg

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen hundreds of these plated covered dishes but still check each one in hopes a Sterling one will show up.

You and me both, friend. I have yet to find one, although I have been excessively torn over whether or not to purchase more than one orphaned lid that I've stumbled across. Sometimes they look so right but IME sterling items with a substantial lid like this would also be marked somewhere on the lid.

Btw the price tag was moved for this picture

Lol thank you for including that snippet of information because 1. it rustles my jimmies for some reason when people obviously miss great big marks like that when pricing, even if it is in my favor, but mostly 2. I just can't believe a thrift store employee would miss such a great opportunity to put a price tag immediately on top of the relevant marks on an item as if it were a sticker target and not a source of info someone might want to see.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid found a covered dish also made of sterling. Indeed they a rare. I can't imagine how many covered dishes I've seen over the years. So far the only I've ever seen made of pure sterling is yours and beachkids. Nice find on a chunk of silver.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid found a covered dish also made of sterling. Indeed they a rare. I can't imagine how many covered dishes I've seen over the years. So far the only I've ever seen made of pure sterling is yours and beachkids. Nice find on a chunk of silver.

What is surprising is that this is a pressed piece. It looks like it was just stamped out of a flat piece of silver. I would have thought that a sterling piece would be higher quality. I think that's why it was missed because it looked pretty cheap.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and me both, friend. I have yet to find one, although I have been excessively torn over whether or not to purchase more than one orphaned lid that I've stumbled across. Sometimes they look so right but IME sterling items with a substantial lid like this would also be marked somewhere on the lid.

Lol thank you for including that snippet of information because 1. it rustles my jimmies for some reason when people obviously miss great big marks like that when pricing, even if it is in my favor, but mostly 2. I just can't believe a thrift store employee would miss such a great opportunity to put a price tag immediately on top of the relevant marks on an item as if it were a sticker target and not a source of info someone might want to see.

Yeah the first thing I did was move the price tag and used it to cover the Sterling mark. I did not want to see any second guessing at the checkout line.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think around the depression years they made sterling such as this in a mass production ways. Not everyone was poor in those times and silver was relatively cheap and they could move sterling wares to people who wanted something a little higher end. Some of the pieces I have are made in a stamped method come from the 1930s up to 1950s

Last edited:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go!! Sterling covered dish is on my thrift bucket list, too. Along with a sterling picture frame. Can't believe I haven't found one yet! I see 3 to 5 covered dishes, average, per stop. Never sterling. The only sterling I get these days is the errant spoon or fork, baby cup, or weighted candlesticks. I do better on jewelry.

I just subbed your channel.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got home and put it on the scale and It weighed a whopping 15.1 troy ounces.

Recoil

Greenie
Feb 3, 2017
Sweet Home AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I'm jealous!
I check for this all the time, still haven't found it yet.

Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread