Is this ship related?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I found a sweetheart pin today at the thrift store. And maybe that's what it is but it's made from coins in Newfoundland that are silver. They have initials on the back of them. But the front has a name which I believe would be a steamship maybe? Or maybe it's just someone's initials I don't know but I thought I would ask this because I love learning about old stuff. But the letters Are

S.S. Polly. Then under it looks to read
W.Ap.Mp.F July 1884.

I'm just curious I don't want anyone to take a whole Lotta time and do a lot of research on it. I bought it today for seven dollars and thought it was pretty cool. Mainly wanted to share. Again I love finding stuff like this and it might just be someone's name and nothing important.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487874648.196604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487874670.927127.jpg

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's very cool..!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very nice piece. Congrats on the score!

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting..definitely something I'd spend some time investigating. You never know what you might find out or learn!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your help. I bought it because of the coins. So interesting reading about he history of some of these random items! I love this hobby/ job. Thanks again.

I have no idea what to list it for but it's going to go up for sale at some point.

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. You know we'll be all over a challenge like this!

I think the previously identified Australian 'SS Polly' is not the correct ship.
The Newfoundland connection is stronger with the 'SS Polynesian' (1872-1893), refitted and called 'SS Laurentian' (1893-1909). In 1909 she ran aground in fog off Newfoundland.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:S.S._Polynesian

"For most of her career, the Polynesian carried emigrants from Liverpool and Londonderry to Quebec City, Halifax Nova Scotia, Portland Maine, Montreál, Boston, and Baltimore."

https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/genealogy/papers/allantour.html

Could this be an emigrant souvenir of passage to the New World?
With that date and ship logs it might be possible to tie this to a particular person. No doubt this could have some geneological interest.

The coins are interesting too, that obverse design looks to be from 1865 to mid 1880s on 5, 10, and 20 cent newfoundland silver coins.

Coins and Canada - 10 cents 1880 - Newfoundland price guide and values

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the previously identified Australian 'SS Polly' is not the correct ship.
The Newfoundland connection is stronger with the 'SS Polynesian' (1872-1893), refitted and called 'SS Laurentian' (1893-1909). In 1909 she ran aground in fog off Newfoundland.

"For most of her career, the Polynesian carried emigrants from Liverpool and Londonderry to Quebec City, Halifax Nova Scotia, Portland Maine, Montreál, Boston, and Baltimore."

With that date and ship logs it might be possible to tie this to a particular person. No doubt this could have some geneological interest.

The coins are interesting too, that obverse design looks to be from 1865 to mid 1880s on 5, 10, and 20 cent newfoundland silver coins.

Looks like some good info! Thanks! I just took my contacts out and can't read a single thing. So I'll check this out tomorrow. Again, thank you very much for the help. Amazing all you folks are on this site. I recommend it to a lot of people I meet.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good search Gravityrules!! I think you're spot on and it makes much more sense!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is worth significantly more with a confirmed story. Don't sell it before you exhausted all outlets.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Silver, 1800's, and shipwreck-related... all from one item at a thrift store. Wow. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread