Anyone familiar with comics?

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2ia7xh2.jpg

I found this at a thrift store for four dollars. It's still sealed within the store package. It's definitely an original from the condition of the comic, but not sure on the value. Ebay is sporadic with their prices. Condition is average. Binding is worn, but the cover looks to be in good condition. I haven't seen the inside of the comic since it's sealed within the cover.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of that comic book suggests it was re-sealed using a press-n-seal type appliance. I don't think it is original. Even if original, condition is everything to serious collectors.

OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of that comic book suggests it was re-sealed using a press-n-seal type appliance. I don't think it is original. Even if original, condition is everything to serious collectors.

I know the store has similar seals they use for other products similar to this. I believe the package is independent from the original comic book source given my previous purchases from this store (I'm a regular there) all come in sealed plastic. I could be wrong, but the tattered frilled pages and the ebay searches I have found are all consistent to its authenticity.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant the seal was not original, not the comic book. Sorry for the mix-up.

OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohh. Well, couldn't have cared less about the seal anyway. Haha. I just kept it in the store seal so it would be easier to handle.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of the plastic bag. as for the condition...check out the Overstreet comic price guide. I would grade it between Poor and fair condition with poor being the lowest grade. Not much value to a collector but might be used as a good filler for someone who collects this particular title. When it comes to comics, condition is everything. Even a single crease can kill the value

OP
OP
T

ThinIce

Dec 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it out of the plastic bag. as for the condition...check out the Overstreet comic price guide. I would grade it between Poor and fair condition with poor being the lowest grade. Not much value to a collector but might be used as a good filler for someone who collects this particular title. When it comes to comics, condition is everything. Even a single crease can kill the value

That price guide helps a lot actually, thanks. The poor condition states that the comic is missing pages and is severely damaged. I'll have to open it and examine the pages myself, but it looks like the entire book is still within contact and readable.

In any case, $4 is not much for what the price guide says the potential value could be.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i agree its not poor but i feel its somewhere between Poor and Fair. Lets hope all the pages are intact. As for the price....Remember....Overstreet is just a guide. Look at Ebay and see what they are actually selling for to give you a better idea of its value. Kinda like used metal detectors, on any given day an AT pro in the same condition can have as much as a 100 dollar variation in what it actually sells for. Good luck and happy hunting

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started on Ebay selling a box of old comic books. None were in collectable condition. But I still sold everyone at a fair price as readers.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
ThinIce - swing by your local Comic Book store and ask them. My son found an old Comic Book and stopped by a local store - they ended up buying it from him!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid living in England, we would get boxes of 50 comics at the base thrift store for $1. Of course a dollar back then was worth a helluva lot more. I had to throw away hundreds of them when we came back to the states. Sorry, just ruminating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread