Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the lack of any thing better to do yesterday I started browsing the book section at the local TS. I picked up two books that had signatures in them. One was Oliver North and the other on book plate was Vicente Fox (Mexico President). Neither is worth anything but thought that as a side line hobby I would collect signatures. Since they are in books, trying to decided if I want to keep the books or remove the page with the signature.

pjdentry

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oliver North is the only "notable" that I've found that way, but I have gotten several other signed books out of TS.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this George HW Bush book today! Don Lochman was a City Councilman in my city so the provenance on this is lock tight. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489686905.671664.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489686913.871580.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489686921.263574.jpg

Mar 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yikes! Don't remove them! The signatures won't lose value by being in the books, but if you remove them, the books will never have any value. It's quite possible the signatures will have value at some point, and there will be added value with the signatures. Once I sold a signed book to a relative of the author. It had no real current market value, but there were no more copies in print. You never know!

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Don't remove those pages! Provenance is everything when it comes to signatures and you can kill the value by up to 90% by removing them.

Look up clipped signatures sometime. Back in the mid 19th century and up until the 1920's, autograph collecting was all the rage among those who had the means to do so. However, what most people tended to do was clip the signature from a handwritten document and throw out the rest. This applied to Royalty like England's Kings as well famous Americans such as George Washington, John Hancock and Abraham Lincoln! A clipped Thomas Jefferson signature can go for $2000 but a signed document can bring $20,000 and up.

Unfortunately this cultural vandalism is still practiced today but generally on people of lesser fame. Governors, movie stars and the like.

I find signed books fairly regularly at my local GW, both of famous people and standard authors. I've listed some on ebay (eventually all will go up) and I have to say, having a signed copy generally can make the book much easier to sell and those will, of course, bring a rather nice premium over a unsigned copy.

Some of the more notable signatures I've found include Hillary Clinton, Alan Alda, Codoleezza Rice and John Glenn (that one I'm keeping. lol)

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an avid reader too. If I find a signed copy, I keep it. I don't have anything of value... yet.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an avid collector of Edward Rowe Snow. He was a big time story teller and author of many books about New England folklore, ocean tragedies, etc. I have several of his books and some are signed. They're not worth a ton but are priceless to me. I would definitely keep your signed books intact! Some people never bother to check them for signatures. Their loss, our gain! ☠

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few signed books
One week I found 2 different cookbooks: Eat This, and Eat This Too. Both written and signed, along with cartoon, by Dom Deloise. At 2 different thrift stores.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a triple signed book I just put on: Fighter General
fighter general 5.jpg fighter general 1.jpg fighter general  3.jpg

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another signed book: The Thrill of the Chase, by Forrest Fenn
The Thrill of the Chase 4.jpg The Thrill of the Chase 1.jpg The Thrill of the Chase 2.jpg The Thrill of the Chase 3.jpg

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oliver North is the only "notable" that I've found that way, but I have gotten several other signed books out of TS.
Anyone know if Ollys signatures are worth anything? Literally walked into him at a book signing inside a store. He got me cuts in line and I figured what the heck I'll buy it if he'll sign it. When I was done shopping they'd gone through the whole stack behind the table, I figure around 100 + copies that store alone. It's on the ain't gonna read it why am I keeping this shelf. Thanks for reminding me!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found several signed books over the years. My favorite is probably the one that Bob Hope signed to WASP pilot Teresa James. The book and signature itself isn't worth much, but the story is priceless.

In 1943 she flew/delivered a Fairchild PT-19 from Maryland to Hollywood to be used in a movie. After delivering the plane on Feb. 22, she became somewhat of a celebrity — she had dinner with Bob Hope and met quite a few movie stars. I imagine that is when he signed the book (and left his phone number too on a separate sheet). He refers to her as "Jesse James" probably because of the era and her being a female pilot which was a story in itself in those days.

attachment.php
attachment.php

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always amazed at how many signed books and cd's end up at Goodwill.

My best find was a book of Titanic photography signed by Robert Ballard, but I've also picked up signed books by Cal Ripken and Richard Matheson. These were all special signed editions so no worries of authentication. I've left plenty more of apparently in person signed books on the shelf just because the money wasn't there. Whenever I see a presidential memoir or an author whose sig would actually add value to the book (there are surprisingly very few), I always give the title page a quick check for a signature.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always amazed at how many signed books and cd's end up at Goodwill.

My best find was a book of Titanic photography signed by Robert Ballard, but I've also picked up signed books by Cal Ripken and Richard Matheson. These were all special signed editions so no worries of authentication. I've left plenty more of apparently in person signed books on the shelf just because the money wasn't there. Whenever I see a presidential memoir or an author whose sig would actually add value to the book (there are surprisingly very few), I always give the title page a quick check for a signature.

Agreed I passed on quite a few signed books by authors. There are only a few that add value.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Signatures in books are always suspect, so be sure
to vet that signature well before marketing the book as
"signed".

To the OP...you never want to remove a page from a book, especially
one that has an authors signature or dedication.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread