THIS is my best Goodwill jar ever!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've mentioned that my best jar from Goodwill cost me $80+ dollars and I made over $1500.00 on it. I may have beat beat that today! I missed several auction items today and just felt like I had pushed my luck. Made a deal on Offer Up for two 14k necklaces and the guy sold them to someone who offered more. Ended up with a 5 minute window to stop at Goodwill on the way to my daughter's basketball practice. Bout a jar for $35 because it had a what looked like a silver bracelet and some Hard Rock Cafe Madrid and Paris pins. The jar yielded three 14k necklaces with two diamond pendants(one with rubies or garnets). The silver bracelet and a Sterling brooch with damaged matching earrings. And a ring. What makes the jar worth more than $1500 you ask?! Well, there was a stretch bracelet in the jar. I NEVER EVER check stretch bracelets...until now! It is marked "14k" with a "SE" hallmark. Turns out this is a Large Sydney Evan 14K White Gold Mammoth Ivory Bracelet! Sells for...$8100.00 new! There are currently none on eBay right now. I will be listing it for $5500 or so and see what happens! It's been a good week! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1489890030.075663.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy shizz! If Goodwill knew what you got they would shutter the store. NICE!

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score but there is a reason why none are listed on eBay. Ivory is not allowed.

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score.

I have never seen a store in my parts that dont check every hallmark, and some even check ebay for prices.

Last one i was in even had a tag on an item that said "selling on ebay for $"

The closest i have come to a lucky find, was a vintage Movado watch, that was tagged as "not working, may need a new battery"
I guess who ever priced the watch didnt know about pre-quartz mechanical watches. The watch works great.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!! That's a damn fine jar-o-goodies I'd say!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score but there is a reason why none are listed on eBay. Ivory is not allowed.

Apparently its Wooly Mammoth Ivory. I guess it might be allowed as an environmentally friendly alternative to the illegal elephant ivory. I'm crossing my fingers.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch how you word it. Any thing type of ivory tends to get pulled on eBay. You may have a $5000 rock in their terms. Awesome find for sure though! To be able to spend $8,000 on a bracelet... crazy!

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently its Wooly Mammoth Ivory. I guess it might be allowed as an environmentally friendly alternative to the illegal elephant ivory. I'm crossing my fingers.

Go to the eBay animals and wildlife products policy page. Click on ivory or bone. You'll see it is not allowed. It's just a matter of time before someone reports your listing. You can try to explain that it's eco friendly to eBay and see where that gets you. I don't agree with it but eBay is quite strict when it comes to any form of animal ivory.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks SCPicker! I went to the eBay page and read the policy. Mammoth ivory is still allowed so far. But I followed Beachkid's advice and reworded the title. Not to find a buyer with a crazy amount of $$ for a bracelet!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
With 3 Watchers out of 5 Views of the item is an excellent ratio but am wondering how you can get more Views! The 1st 24 hours seem to be the slowest on Views for some items but wonder if a change in the Title or Description Listing could help boost interest in the item and the View Count! Could the $8,180.00 in the Title be scaring folks off? I don't know! Anyway, the best of luck on the Auction Listing!

Frank

SCpicker

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SCPicker! I went to the eBay page and read the policy. Mammoth ivory is still allowed so far. But I followed Beachkid's advice and reworded the title. Not to find a buyer with a crazy amount of $$ for a bracelet!

Any chance you can show me where it says it's allowed? If it's allowed why change your listing?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't realize it was from tusks. Looks like I better find another selling alternative. I already had enough ivory I can't sell.

Last edited:

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a southwestern bracelet pulled after 5.5 months because it has bear claws in it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Going to be looking at those stretch brackets niw

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! Helluva fun way to make some nice cash! Congratulations! Thrift stores truly can be literal gold mines.

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
It's official...Best jar ever for me. Just took a Best Offer and payment of $4,000.00! Will be taking it to the post office in the next two hours...Express with Signature! I'm still shocked at what people will spend for jewelry. And I sell Tiffany & Co. stuff all of the time.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's official...Best jar ever for me. Just took a Best Offer and payment of $4,000.00! Will be taking it to the post office in the next two hours...Express with Signature! I'm still shocked at what people will spend for jewelry. And I sell Tiffany & Co. stuff all of the time.

High five!! Way to go!!!! What an awesome find! Slim pickings here lately, and there is a lot of competition to get the jars, so they are harder to come by. Congrats, really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread