KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
Not sure what forum this belongs in. I think we need an "auction treasure" or similar.

I won this at an antique auction today. Nobody knew what it was, so i did some sneaky interwebs searching during the auction, and thought it might be military related.

Snagged it for a $40.

Im hoping to get some info on what i should look for regarding serial numbers, or marks. Is it military? Airforce? Etc.....

How do they work? Can i test it to see if it is working?

View attachment 1428575

View attachment 1428576

View attachment 1428577

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the sideways pics, always happen when i use this stupid tablet.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what it is but I usually post my auction finds in the garage sale section. Auctions and garage sales seem the same to me pretty much. Hope you figure out what this is!

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what info i have gathered, it would seem these were used as navigational tools for aircraft or boats.

As for military related, and how they operate, i am not sure what to look for.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a little off, apparently they where only used for aircraft.

" a sextant used especially in aerial navigation in which the image of the heavenly body being observed is brought to the edge of a bubble instead of to the sea horizon, the bubble appearing in its proper position in the field of view only when the sextant is held so that its zero plane is the observer's horizontal ..."

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of answering my own questions, but just incase anyone is interested i will keep updating as i learn.

I just found some more markings, and it is military related as per the British broad arrow mark.

View attachment 1428613

Now just need to find if its in working order, and with any luck, find what aircraft it may have been used in.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a cool purchase for $40! Not sure what it's worth but for that price you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks captain,
The nice thing is, its a complete set, everything is in the box.

I guess a lot will depend on if its working, as i have found one that sold for decent money, but it mentioned the bubble is still working. My best guess will be around $100 aus dollars as is, to $300ish if its working.

I have found an operating manual on line, but my tired head cant make much sense out of it. I will have a fiddle with it again tomorrow.

Also picked up a few more interesting items that i will post later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread