Anybody want to take a crack at the hallmarks on this tray?

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Turkey-platter-sized silver or silver plated tray at an antique mall. If anyone here is able to make heads or tails of these and it's the real thing I'll go back and pick it up, otherwise it's much too rich for my tastes at $50.
20170222_132330-01.jpeg

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a gambler. I'd take a chance on it since it's at least old. I don't see "EPNS" or "Silver on Copper".

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
95% sure that's sterling, and has a bit of age. But--old silver plate can be worth some money. If it's an old piece, has at least a chance of being sterling, and the price isn't too much, it's always smarter to buy it. If you're wrong, you can still try to flip a little profit because it's an antique. Can drop you sell price down to what you paid for it as needed... Keep us posted on this one!!

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is an engraving which translates to: "For My Dear Wife, I Am Very Sorry That I Accidentally Slept With Your Friend. Love Bob." Or something like that...it is a little worn so hard to read, ha ha.

Bill

PS I agree with those that say "Buy It". It does appear to be old and maybe you can offer $35 and get them down a bit?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is an engraving which translates to: "For My Dear Wife, I Am Very Sorry That I Accidentally Slept With Your Friend. Love Bob." Or something like that...it is a little worn so hard to read, ha ha.

Bill

PS I agree with those that say "Buy It". It does appear to be old and maybe you can offer $35 and get them down a bit?

Most antique stores will slap you in the mouth if you try to negotiate on anything $50 or lower, but it is worth a try.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I have to say it sure looks like an early Hallmark to me. The engraving also looks like 1600s to me. I would've been all over that so fast...go back this is killing me

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Mackaydon was on to something asking if the photo is upside down. I did a screen shot of the picture and flipped it over and it makes a bit more sense. Not much but a bit more. Enough to say...... Buy it!! I'm usually half decent at hallmark but not this one. I do believe it is an early hallmark. Keep us posted and I'll continue some research.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kali_is_my_copilot

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is flipped & zoomed a bit. I am going back this afternoon to consider it a little more. I'm most curious about the little mark with 2 nubs on one side and 3 on the other. Assuming it's quite worn but I feel like if I could figure out what it's supposed to be that would really help.
20170222_132330-01-01.jpeg

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not much help, but to me it looks like: J & ? ?, followed by a rook / castle tower.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Kali...we need you to gamble YOUR money and go get that tray! LOL. But seriously, it seems to me that it is worth he price if it is silver OR because we all think its old.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I would have bought it based on the hallmarks. I don't have a clue what they are but they look right. Of course that might change depending on what it looks like in hand.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I see it this way I am not so sure these are Silver hallmarks.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Those are not British hallmarks. Both Edinburgh in Scotland and Exeter in England used 'castles' as their town mark, but not like that... and the general format of the marks is wrong for a hallmark. THose look like typical pseudo-hallmarks for silverplate, although I don't recognise the maker. Many are still unattributed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread