Help

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I recently found out that all of the Goodwill Stores in our district {Roanoke VA} will be sending all donated jewelry to corporate to sell online. After I contacted corporate, I was told that nobody really cares if the local donations of jewelry stay in local stores and if I want jewelry, I should buy online from them. I have started several conversations about this on local facebook yard sale pages and have been amazed at the response. My request of ya'll is to please call our local Goodwill corporate office at 540-581-0620 or email them at [email protected] and complain. A simple statement saying that you will no longer shop or donate at Goodwill until this our local jewelry donations are offered locally before being sent to Goodwill. If your local stores are doing something similar, let me know and I will stand with you. I know this sounds strange to some of you and if this is against the rules, please take this post down. Thanks for Any Help, Steve

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't think this is a battle you are going to win. Goodwill is going to do what's best for their bottom line. They believe that's sending the "good stuff" to corporate to sell online. I don't care for the policy but have to agree that selling online with a national market generates higher sales. That's exactly why I sell on eBay instead of locally.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy All, I recently found out that all of the Goodwill Stores in our district {Roanoke VA} will be sending all donated jewelry to corporate to sell online. After I contacted corporate, I was told that nobody really cares if the local donations of jewelry stay in local stores and if I want jewelry, I should buy online from them. I have started several conversations about this on local facebook yard sale pages and have been amazed at the response. My request of ya'll is to please call our local Goodwill corporate office at 540-581-0620 or email them at [email protected] and complain. A simple statement saying that you will no longer shop or donate at Goodwill until this our local jewelry donations are offered locally before being sent to Goodwill. If your local stores are doing something similar, let me know and I will stand with you. I know this sounds strange to some of you and if this is against the rules, please take this post down. Thanks for Any Help, Steve

Don't take this personally:

Of all the battles to fight in 2017, this one is a loser. It is self serving and really is not a battle of "good vs evil" or "right vs wrong". It is basically an opinion. I wish you luck but I just don't think this one is worth pursuing.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been going on for sometime where I live (not selling the good jewelry). Manager come out of her office shoe box full of donated jewelry never to be seen again. I am convinced that most never make it to the corp office. A few managers have been caught sending the spouse into the store walk out with whatever and it ends up in thier yard sale or flee market booth. It is a battle that can not be won because you know who the enemy is and they know they are in control. Thier business and they can do what they want.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with ya'll that this probably a lost cause. I have a very good relationship with my local Goodwill managers and two different store managers are very upset over this and one actually suggested that I "raise some hell". They have been keeping back all gold and most silver for a couple of years but their costume jewelry and junk jars are big sellers. Yes, this is self serving but in the long run, I will actually save money by not going in to Goodwill every day. I drive over 60 miles a day to go to two Goodwill stores and most days walk out with nothing. Yard Sales and Flea Markets are much better. I have posted on all of the local facebook yard sale pages and apparently they are generating results. One Goodwill manager told me this morning that they have been getting phone calls and walk ins complaining. Sorry if my post insults anyone.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't think anyone is insulted or found anything wrong with what you posted. I'm reasonably certain I can safely say we all would like to see more of the "good stuff" stay at our local stores. I just think it's a lost cause.....

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GW which switch years ago just started carrying jewelry again. $64.99 for a large bag. No way most was plastic beads

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There's more to this story than the finds.

I've been to these stores with Steve. It is a social thing. Everyone loves him in those stores.

It is a part of his life gone with this action by Goodwill. It is not all about the gold & silver.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
My local Goodwill just ended the practice of sending jewelry to the warehouse for online sales. The regional manager said they did not get the profits they expected. They did it for almost a year. Now I'm hoping they send hey great jewelry from the warehouse to the stores too!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screw Goodwill, that is my 2 cents.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I've made over $1000 from Goodwill this month. Items that were NOT jewelry. Let them know your feelings, but realize there is a lot more profitable items in those stores besides jewelry. They may not be as easy to pack and mail as jewelry, but you will make money still.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, when Goodwill stopped doing the jewelry in the stores...it thinned the herd and allowed me to get more of the other good stuff. Always a bright side. Always.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, when Goodwill stopped doing the jewelry in the stores...it thinned the herd and allowed me to get more of the other good stuff. Always a bright side. Always.

Lucky you because there is nothing but junk at mine. It they were smart they would put a couple awesome finds out there to drive traffic. They got millions in free publicity for that $55,000 watch. Between that and the Vince Lombardi sweater I bet you it increased traffic at the stores by 30%.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from my Goodwill run and was told by one of the employees that the Regional Manager showed up for a meeting yesterday and one of the main topics was ME and the trouble that I was causing. One employee spoke up for me and said that she didn't care about that, that she loved me anyway! Then she sold me a $2 junk jar with 7.9 grams of 14kt and 1 gram of 10kt. I have posted on all of the regional facebook yardsale pages and people have been emailing and calling. Who Knows? Might just win one afterall.

Last edited:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Man, I wish I could run a for-profit business as a non-profit 501(c)(3) and have all my inventory given to me for free.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread