French Pewter Plate

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
We've established it's old & it looks cool. Is it worth anything?

Old pewter is ALWAYS worth something. The question is How much?
I sold a local guy some Virginia Metalcrafters stuff and he showed me the pewter he collects and seemed to know stuff. I'll see if I can contact him and hope he has some info...although he was more into American made pewter.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've seen in shops and at Brimfield, I'm going to estimate the value at $150-300. Just because it's a foreign piece, not from the U S. Find out more about the crest and the number could go up. An absolutely beautiful example of superior quality European pewter. I'm not an expert so don't take this as gospel. Just an honest opinion.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Old pewter is ALWAYS worth something. The question is How much?
I sold a local guy some Virginia Metalcrafters stuff and he showed me the pewter he collects and seemed to know stuff. I'll see if I can contact him and hope he has some info...although he was more into American made pewter.

How much IS the question. From the responses to the original post I was expecting it to be a huge number. Not trying to take anything away from the find & am impressed that a 300+ year old item was found at a thrift.

OP
OP
W

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Looking on eBay I was surprised how cheap pewter goes for, even for stuff older than mine- the exception being for colonial and premium early British pieces. It's not the most expensive piece I've found but it's by far my favorite and with just a $4 investment in it I can afford to hang onto it until I can do more research. I'd really love to be able to attribute this to a maker or find that cost of arms.

wisconsinwalter

Feb 11, 2009
I would bet it is not French because they always use fleur-de-lis. But it is possible I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
300 years old is not old for Europe. I have a 200 yo American Pewter plate on the bay for $125 and only getting best offers around $50 which I have not accepted. Probably worth less than expected.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the british also used the fleur de lys