French Pewter Plate

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand new to the forum and very excited to have found this site. Spent the better part of the day yesterday reading the great advice and fantastic finds and can't believe I'm just now finding this.

Hope it's okay if I jump in with a question. I don't know if this item has a lot of value but it's certainly been my favorite thrift store find so far (2nd Avenue) and I'd love to learn more about it.

It's a narrow rimmed pewter plate engraved with an unidentified armorial crest on the front (all hand done). The rim is partially decorated with worn floral scrolls. The reverse has been struck with several unidentified marks. The symbol that is repeated three times I've identified as French and appears to indicate the year 1715. From what I can tell early pewter makers tended to use nonsensical method of stamping in order to more closely resemble silver makers. The actual makers mark appears to be the OM in a rectangle with what looks like an animal, possibly a lion.

As far as the crest I've found nothing though someone suggested it might be ecclesiastical due to the cross but like the early pewter's marks, these types of crests appear to be a free for all as far as what was used and by whom.

I'd love to know if my research is correct and if this plate has any value. There is a book out there called Poncoins d'Etain which was written in the 1970's which appears to contain the bulk of information known about French pewter (which isn't much) but I have not been able to find a reasonable copy (let alone one in the States). My identification of the year mark actually came from a screen print someone generously posted online from this book.

Thanks in advance all!
Jamie

IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Looking Plate !
I'm sure someone here can help

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely one of the better looking pewter pieces I've seen. I do believe there are a couple of good old pewter collectors websites out there?

OP
OP
W

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit up the British Pewter society and there's another great website out there. There appears to be a wealth of info on British pewter and American but French or other Euro countries is almost non-existent.

I love the plate regardless but I'd love to know more history of it. To find something like that sitting next to the cheapo silverplate and commemorative bicentennial pewter plates blew me away.

Definitely one of the better looking pewter pieces I've seen. I do believe there are a couple of good old pewter collectors websites out there?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW... Um like hey... you just scored IMO...

Where do I start.. sheeesh.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been awhile since an item has appeared on here worthy of me taking a research aim on.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUT...

I will instead of telling you... OR shall I say... doing your work... at least at this point ... due to juggling now...

I will throw you your first bone...

IMO... you should know... IMO... you have what can and is called... a "charger".

So...

Off you go... and please keep us posted.

BTW..

Welcome to Treasurenet.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok im back...

I will continue by telling you...

#1. This is worthy of every bit of effort / energy in research... for it can IMO be traced and found ... even eventually.

#2. One heck of a thrift score IMO.

#3. This is very old and rare.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer score! Definitely French and from 1715. It might take a bit of time to research the maker. I collect antique pewter and I say that's a beautiful piece worthy of any collection. Well done! ☠

OP
OP
W

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I had seen the term charger but couldn't figure out what it applied to. I'd love to figure out the history of the armorial.

It was so unlike anything on the shelf when I saw it.

Ok im back...

I will continue by telling you...

#1. This is worthy of every bit of effort / energy in research... for it can IMO be traced and found ... even eventually.

#2. One heck of a thrift score IMO.

#3. This is very old and rare.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then disregard. :P

See what I get... bah :)

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread